Reconciliation

The Grocery Store
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyeon ran out of the hotel crying and strolls down Sejong-daero feeling like a ghost. She thought she needed to hide somewhere to cry but soon discovered nobody actually cares.

So she has spent almost three years to hate a person when that person knows nothing about it! It was like the ending chapter of a book is torn away in the author's copy but still stays in the readers' copies. The cognitive discrepancy ridiculed the whole story and turned the readers' agony into a joke. However, she can have no one to blame because SHE was the one who tore away the pages. And she should indeed feel grateful that Eunbi has not died because of the fall.

Good for her to have forgotten. 

But now I am the only person who has to bear with it.

It's not fair!

What if I tear off my copy too?

"No!" a strong voice protests in Chaeyeon's mind, "you must live well to meet Sakura again."

Saku-chan... At the corner of the sidewalk, she stops and checks her phone. There is no message.

She looks and crosses the road.

A loud squeaking sound accompanied by a deafening car horn suddenly honks from her left. She jumps back to the sidewalk in shock and drops her phone on the ground. She quickly picks up her phone when the driver rolls down the car window and curses at her before roaring away.

Chaeyeon freezes in panic. She has forgotten traffic comes from the left in Korea, and she has been all the way looking to the right...does she think she is still in Japan?

She examines her phone and relieves to find the damage is minor.

But she has to press her pounding heart hard to prevent it from jumping out of her chest.

She can't believe that she was almost knocked down by a car.

She suddenly has a weird thought – what if she didn't escape the accident? She got knocked down and lost her memory... She starts to imagine a scenario. The fight scene, maybe with Sakura? They fought over some unresolvable issues and said many hurtful things. And they walked out of each other's life. But she got hit by a car when she left the venue. After she woke up, she couldn't remember anything about the fight, so in her understanding, she and Sakura were still lovers, and she loves her so much. However, she soon found out that Sakura was avoiding her, never picked up her calls or replied to her messages. She looked around for her like a mad woman while has absolutely no clue about the breakup. What will it be like? How will she feel?

She will kill herself if Sakura did this to her!

But she thinks Eunbi can take it better...

Chaeyeon suddenly feels her heart in great pain, she opens and gasp for air. She squats down on the sidewalk and screams in tears. 

"What have I done! How can I inflict such pain onto another person without recognizing it!"

The suffering was on both sides.

No, she hurt her deliberately. But she never has the chance to fight back. Or she has never thought of fighting back. Her messages were still full of love and caring just like before the fight.

And she thought these messages were merely hypocritical pretensions.

She starts to understand why Eunbi is so obsessed with Jaemin as their son and taught Jaemin to call her eomma. She simply does not have the memory that the act is not welcome, and it must be her only comfort to mourn for a sudden-lost love.

"If I were her, I will surely get insane or depression."

And she has foolishly believed that hating a person will make her feel better. She has trained her mind to hate Eunbi, using all those years to recapitulate how selfish and controlling Eunbi has been, how she belittled her, manipulated her and abused her goodwill, etc., to the extent that she almost forgot why they have been together and how they have spent their four years. She believed if she had even thought about Eunbi's good side, she would have rushed back to ask for forgiveness – and she will lose.

And now she feels she is a total failure. 

Only immature people will care about winning or losing in a relationship.

The memories of Eunbi bringing her to fancy restaurants and top class performances, buying her gifts and even sponsoring the laptop she is using suddenly pop up. And how come she could have taken all these privileges for granted? It may be patronizing, but when Eunbi used her thesis writing time to tutor her for university entrance examinations, it was purely a sacrifice. Why does she think that can be taken for granted too? If she blames Eunbi to be self-centered and arrogant, what is she then but an ungrateful ?

Eunbi was wrong not to tell her about her baby-making plan, that was not justifiable. But she accused her to be dirty, this was outrageous too.

"Did you really feel bad using to control her? If so, why don't you just stop and tell her about that? She deserved to know it too. And you actually never asked if she liked it. Isn't it also a form of manipulation too? But then you used that to attack her." Chaeyeon's inner conscience analyses calmly, but the awakening is like a sharp knife twisting her heart.

Maybe the only reason I did that to her was that I don't love her anymore and I didn't know that. Chaeyeon sobs hard regretting on what she has done when her phone beeps and vibrates and a message notification pops up.

Saku-chan: how was the meeting with your teacher? Has it finished? There are quite a lot of customers today, they came after seeing our Facebook and IG posts.

"Yes, finished. It was good."

(hi-five) "Yeah! Daebak!"

Saku-chan: oh, glad to hear that. So are you going home now?

"Yes"

"Then we chat after you get home." (kiss)

Chaeyeon feels a warm stream flowing through her heart and she becomes calmer.

Shadows of the buildings are deepening on the road. She suddenly wants to go home. 

She turns back to the City Hall direction to take the subway and grabs a bottle of soju on the way back. She definitely needs some alcohol tonight.

It's peak hour already. Chaeyeon considers herself lucky to be able to squeeze into the subway trains, although it means that she will have to stand with her tired legs for the next one and a half hour.

But she feels better that way. She takes it as a form of punishment to ease her pain in her mind.

 

The sky is totally dark when Chaeyeon gets off. She needs to walk through a community park and then another 15 minutes to get home. She feels hungry and tired so she decided to rest in the park for a while. She set down in front of a picnic table and takes out the cookies and the soju.

"Saku-chan, I miss you...jal meokgesseumnida," Chaeyeon mutters when she opens the cookies box and the soju cap.

She takes out a piece of cookie and nibbles it like a piece of expensive black truffle and takes a picture of the bitten cookie with the soju as background and sends it to Sakura.

She forgot Eunbi has the same taste as her for cookies because Eunbi has been out of her mind since she met Sakura, but she wonders if the "sameness" is pure coincidence or she indeed has been deeply influenced by Eunbi.

As she was finishing the soju, Chaeyeon senses something not right. Four young men who look like hooligans are walking past her and they quickly circle her, one of them even sits down next to her. 

! NOT AGAIN! WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS?

Chaeyeon screams internally but she tries her best to stay composed.

"Hey, girl, do you want to share your drink with us?"

"Oh, it's empty!"

"You look so lonely. Let's go drink together!"

She squints and scans around. It is dinner time. She is alone in the park.

"Japanese cookies!" One of the men picks up the cookie box and scoffs, "imperial cookies!"

"PUT THAT DOWN!" Chaeyeon says slowly. She feels herself firing up with anger.

"Oh, she speaks Korean!" Another starts to laugh in a disgusting tone.

The one who sits beside her then moves until he touches her body. The others cheer.

Chaeyeon cannot stand it anymore.

She slams her fist on the table, forgot she is holding a bottle.

Silence.

Ohe of the men shakes his head and the gang fled instantly.

Chaeyeon looks down and found that the bottle was shattered in pieces.

Blood gushes out from various wounds on her palm. She starts to feel a sharp pain in her right hand and it soon spreads to her lower arm and then the whole limb. Her body is shaking uncontrollably. She wants to scream but she can just gasp for air desperately when she opens .

Almost by instinct, she swipes open her phone app and presses #2 on the keypad. 

"Yeoboseyo? Hello?"

Chaeyeon can only hiss...

"What's the matter? Are you ok?" 

Chaeyeon makes a big effort and finally utters a word. “Ho...hospi...tal...”

"Share your location, I will come immediately."

The other side hangs up. Chaeyeon felt thankful that her shaky fingers could still operate the phone.

 

Eunbi arrives at the park in less than three minutes. She literally just left Jaemin with her mother-in-law and grabbed her bag and go.

"A student of mine is committing suicide." She lied and ran out of her house.

She soon found Chaeyeon following the sound of her ringtone.

She has never been so shocked. Before her eyes is not the 22 years old grown up but the helpless teenager who has been badly wounded.

"Chaen...wh..."

"Eonnie..." Chaeyeon sees her and cries like a baby.

"It will be fine." Eunbi quickly picks up Chaeyeon's bag. She spots the box of cookies lying on the table and carefully dusts off any glass bit before she put it back to the bag.  

"Handphone?"

Chaeyeon shows her left hand which is still holding the phone.

"Okay, let's go." Eunbi startles when Chaeyeon is not s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter