Finale: Let's Get Married

The Grocery Store
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is a special bonus to celebrate Miyawaki Sakura's 23 years old birthday. Thank you for RedEld for organizing this birthday event.

 

After graduation, Chaeyeon went back to Japan. She worked under the prestigious social entrepreneur and community designer Yamazaki Ryo in studio-L first as a foreign trainee and then as a junior member for two and a half years. Being based in Osaka, she and Sakura have to go back to their long-distance relationship mode again. Now with some more money to spare, they would squeeze their schedule to meet or go on a short trip together every 2-3 months. There was nothing Chaeyeon could complain about as it was her dream job, and she really learned so much out of it.

It was not easy on Sakura's side as she has been quite "spoiled" when Chaeyeon stayed in the grocery store. But the ballerina has become much stronger physically as well as emotionally when she knew there was always someone she could turn to, even that someone could only be reached every night through the computer or phone screen. Sakura continued to be a ballet teacher and occasionally got invited as a guest performer by modern ballet groups. However, she was also thinking about "retire" from being a professional ballerina so that she can spend more time developing her newly discovered interests and talents.

The one with the biggest achievement was Sasshi granny. Inspired by KBG84 of Okinawa, Rino took on her dream seriously. Soon after Hyewon and Eunbi went back to Korea, she started to organize the "big girls (idol) group" with her neighbors and friends. "Unfortunately", with younger people like Yokoyama Yui joining the group, the median age was pulled down. Thus, they decide to mimic the Sakamichi series (-zaka46) instead and named themselves KGS64.

There were hiccups and personal disputes, as well as technical problems at the very beginning. But the phrase "giving up" doesn't exist in the dictionary of the Miyawaki girls. While Rino worked hard to settle internal problems, Sakura exhausted and expanded her knowledge and resources to establish stable internet and provide appropriate equipment so that KGS64 and JEH & friends (well, Jaemin-Eunbi-Hyewon...very creative name, huh?) could jam music through live streaming. She has developed a close friendship with the Korean family when she was invited to write Japanese lyrics for Eunbi or/and Hyewon's new songs (and performed by KGS girls, needless to say). This somehow soothed her emotion when she suddenly missed Chaeyeon a lot.

The music jam attracted tens of thousands of views when it was accidentally put on YouTube. Particularly when Jaemin was identified as a music prodigy (headache to his parents), these online activities eventually built up a "fandom" through the internet. After their schedules became more stable and could be announced in advance, visitors started to make special trips to watch the live jamming sessions in person inside the machiya (KGS64 doesn't really have 64 members).

It was the time when Chaeyeon decided to quit her job and move back to the Miyawaki Grocery Store. "Enough is enough", she thinks. Even though she loves her job, it was draining, and how can she be left out when her family is having such exciting development?

After hearing her reasons for quitting, however, both her boss and colleagues saw a very interesting project laying ahead. They negotiated with Chaeyeon and finally settled for a solution. A single-staffed office will be set up in Kagoshima to provide solutions to Kyushu communities, with Lee Chaeyeon as the Representative. The first assignment of the new studio-L office will the preservation of the Taniyama Machiya together with a community development initiative for its neighborhood.

 

 

Chaeyeon feels like walking into a dream exactly like three and a half years ago when she is dropped off by Sakura at the shopfront of the Miyawaki Grocery Store. But this time the reason is different.

She is finally home.

The smell of the woods, the sight of Sasshi Granny's Umeboshi refrigerator, the good old abacus conveyor...nothing has changed, except that Rino now looks younger and more energetic.

"Chaeyeon," Rino looks a bit emotional when she hugs the tall girl, "Saa-chan told me. You are really awesome."

Chaeyeon shakes her head and smiles, "it's all because of you."

During dinner, Chaeyeon explains her new status of being an employee who works from home. As a matter of fact, this mode of working has become the new normal worldwide after the global pandemic two years ago. The family started to discuss the rearrangement of the machiya spaces in great excitement. Changes bring new inspirations and aspirations. Rino also seizes the opportunity to "expand the territory" of KGS64.

To the young women, an "ambitious" grandma who is eager to fulfill her dream feels foreign but nonetheless good.

Chaeyeon thinks it is the right time to raise her thoughts about the music jam.

"It will be even more attractive if you can do it live. We can sell tickets or collect donations from some of these performances. Isn't it nice that you and your friends can earn some income?"

Sakura smiles tenderly towards Chaeyeon. The once domineering brat now sounds so professional yet full of affability.

"But we should be careful not to turn the machiya into a tourist site," Sakura adds.

"Oh, but I thought we have been wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter