Family Secret

The Grocery Store
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Time flies suddenly and Christmas is coming.

Eunbi settled the divorce case with Kim Seungri and received a big cheque for alimony. His only condition to agree to Eunbi's terms was that Jaemin must remain a Kim. Eunbi did not ask for the reason and agreed to it.

To many people's disappointment, Kim Seungri was not charged. Still, the Mayor's office dismissed his duties, and the Art Association outcasted him. Although his university was reluctant to take any action against him, he decided to leave the school and the country.

He changed the ownership of his house to Kim Jaemin with Kwon Eunbi as the guardian until he is 18. She decided to rent it out so she and Jaemin could have a little more stable monthly income. And she rented a small apartment in the same condominium where Hyewon lives.

Old Mrs. Kim kept her promise and continued to take care of Jaemin and help out until everything was settled. Eunbi worked hard to open up to the old woman as she knew she could not take her for granted anymore. But on the other hand, she contemplated why such a strong, wise and kind mother failed to raise a decent son, so she decided to learn fast from the old woman how not to repeat her mistake. She stopped calling her eomeonim (mother-in-law) and started calling her halmeoni (grandma). A new bonding was formed, and Eunbi heartfelt promised old Mrs. Kim to bring Jaemin to Gurye at least once a year.

It is 11:30 pm when Hyewon presses Eunbi's doorbell. Jaemin has finally fallen asleep so Eunbi can concentrate on grading students' paper. Jaemin has just thrown a tantrum wanting to play Switch with "Hyewon imo (aunt)". Eunbi has spent a lot of energy to make him stop calling Hyewon "appa". 

"How is my dear baby?" Hyewon hugs and kisses Eunbi on the cheek right after they closed the door.

Eunbi hits Hyewon's shoulder lightly, "I'm Eunbi, I'm not baby."

Hyewon smiles, "Eunbi is my baby – and I am hungry." 

Eunbi sniggers and takes Hyewon by the hand to the kitchen, "you want string cheese or ramen?"

"Both."

Eunbi rolls her eyes while Hyewon opens the fridge and take out the string cheese pack.

"I got the new contract today, but I think I will decline the offer," Eunbi says when she fills the pot with water, Hyewon immediately takes over the pot and place it on the stove. "It's even harsher than the last one. I think I need to spend more time on Jaemin and my own well-being, although I will be unemployed."

"I'll support any of your decisions," Hyewon says as she hugs Eunbi from the back. "I will fully stuff your refrigerator with food so you don't have to worry."

Eunbi chuckles on such pragmatic suggestion, and a thought suddenly comes to her mind. She turns to face Hyewon, "Kang, you know, there used to be a time when money is the only thing I don't lack. But now that it seems that money becomes the only thing I lack, but I've got everything back."

Hyewon chuckles and gives a small perk on Eunbi's lips, "same here. I used to have everything in my life except love, and suddenly I have overachieved. Now I have two babies." 

Eunbi chuckles and pokes Hyewon lightly on the cheek, "don't forget you have promised Jaemin to play Switch with him – but you have to practice for the concert too, right?"

Hyewon thinks seriously, "let me teach him something that is more interesting but won't disturb my practice then."

 

Sakura finished all the "biology books", meaning books on uality and rated manga, borrowed from the library, but still didn't get what she wants. 

Well, she thinks she got physically aroused a little bit by reading those books, but she simply cannot put herself and Chaeyeon into those M contents.

She talked less to Chaeyeon lately because Chaeyeon has to meet all the paper deadlines as well as prepare for the examinations. Sometimes they just turn on the camera and do their own work. And Sakura also has to spend extra time to prepare her students for the free performances to the underprivileged groups. She is more than happy to have a chance to teach kids how to respect volunteer works.

On a comparatively less busy evening, Rino suddenly suggests they close the store early and go out for dinner.

It is a surprise for Sakura, as she understands their financial situation well, going out for dinner is too much a luxury for the family. Nonetheless, she happily changes into nice clothes and drives grandma to the downtown area.

Rino has booked a chic French restaurant that is quiet and cozy. After choosing the food, Rino takes an envelope from her handbag and pushes it in front of Sakura.

"What is it?" Sakura opens the envelope and finds that there is a small pile of banknotes.

Rino smiles, "thank you Saa-chan for all your hard work in the past 7 months. This is your salary. I'm sorry that this is all I can pay."

"Grandma!" Sakura exclaims, and quickly suppresses her voice, "No! I can't accept your money, this is a family store, you are my grandma!"

"Touka koukan." Rino pretends to be nonchalant, "working for a family business doesn't mean non-paid labor, and grandma cannot take everything for granted."

"Touka koukan is not to be used this way!" Sakura argues.

Rino shrugs. "Don't forget I am the CEO, you are the manager..." she raises her brows and smirks, "the most beautiful store manager on earth."

"Help!" Sakura covers her face and whines.

Rino can't suppress her laugh anymore, "Saa-chan, it's just symbolic. You can also treat it for grandma's Christmas present – if it makes you feel better."

"Okay," Sakura grins like a child and takes away the envelope, "thank you, grandma."

"Our financial situation has greatly improved since September, it will just take a few more months and we can settle all the debts. After that, whatever we earn, we can use it freely." Rino says and raises her glass of water, "to the Miyawaki Grocery Store!"

Sakura suddenly feels like she is the business partner of Sasshi Rino, and not the helpless shy little girl anymore.

"To Sasshi Granny's Umeboshi!" Sakura raises her glass of water and clinks it on Rino's glass.

"To Sakura the ballerina!" Clink.

"To the health of grandma!" Clink.

The two continue to make good wishes and clink their glasses like teenagers until some customers turn their heads to see what happen.

Rino rolls her eyes around and suppresses her voice, "to Sakura and Chaeyeon, happy together!" She further raises the glass and put it back on the table quietly.

Sakura is caught off-guard, She almost chocks on the water she is drinking and can't control an ear-to-ear grin upon hearing Chaeyeon's name.

"Oh, my Saa-chan!" Rino teases, "you just heard the name of Chaeyeon and got excited. Grandma is jealous!"

Sakura waves her hand trying to say no while using another hand to cover her cough.

"Well, Saa-chan, you are an adult now, there is nothing you should feel embarrassed when talking about your lover." Rino suddenly turns serious.

Sakura shakes her head, "are you really feeling jealous? I can tell Chaeyeon we are just friends"

Rino laughs, "don't be silly. I'm just joking"

"I'm serious," Sakura says.

Rino shrugs, "is Chaeyeon coming in January? How long is she going to stay?"

"Maybe 3 months. She wants to finish her final dissertation in Kagoshima."

"So she is staying with you, or staying in the guest room?"

"With me of course!" Sakura says and suddenly stops.

Rino is looking at her with one side of her lips slightly curling up.

"What?" Sakura pretends she doesn't understand.

"Saa-chan..." 

"I...still...want to...to...rent the room...out..." Sakura casts her eyes down and stutters.

"Lies!" Rino moves her body forward and asks in a low voice, "be honest with me. Last time, did you do it?"

Sakura looks scared, "what? No! What do you mean?"

Rino raises one eyebrow, "you know what I mean."

Sakura lowers her head and keeps on shaking it, "no. Nothing happened. No...I...actully

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter