Be part of your new life

The Grocery Store
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After lots of hard work, the "co-created" lecture came out well.

Yujin sent a touching yet intriguing email and 99% of the students showed up. Eunbi swears she has never seen so many students in her classroom, she even suspects some students are from the other courses. 

They applauded to Wonyoung when she walked into the classroom, and many students came up and talked to her. Before that, they only treated her as a weirdo.

When Yujin connected Eunbi in the hospital, students scream and applause the hardest they could. 

Eunbi shows her brightest smile with tears shining in her eyes. A couple of students immediately break into tears.

"Hello everyone!" Eunbi starts after Yujin did the introduction. Her voice is still weak so the whole class decided to keep absolutely quiet when their lecturer speaks.

Coincidently, the subject of today's lecture is about gender violence in art.

Eunbi gives very short lectures and stops every 5 minutes and Yujin will facilitate a 10 minutes group discussion, then a 5 minutes report and Eunbi responses. The whole lecture runs on this pattern. It ends up in the first hour, nearly all the discussions are on Eunbi's "accident" except in Wonyoung's group – they discuss Wonyong's case.

It's the 7th year Eunbi has been teaching. She has never seen students this attentive and discussed in such a serious manner, even though their contents can be seen as "gossip", they can actually apply all the theories accurately. However, the one who felt most inspired is Eunbi herself. This is the first time she feels that she is leaving the ivory tower with her knowledge connecting with real-life issues.

And behind the camera, there are two persons who also feel very impressed.

Lee Chaeyeon was overjoyed when she received the text message from her former dance teacher to help out the technical part of the lecture. She felt like she was being released on parole.

Chaeyeon was invited to be part of the "show team". She did not have much pre-exist knowledge on the topic, but she soon related the contents to her past experiences and got the whole point. During the discussions and private tutorials, it reminded her how good a teacher Eunbi has been.

If nothing has happened...Chaeyeon thought and cried in her heart, but she tried her best not to show any emotion. She doesn't want to confuse Eunbi anymore.

Chaeyeon helped Eunbi bought new lingerie, shirts, and a sweater, plus a pair of new sneakers not only for the lecture but also for her discharge. She left for the hospital early in the morning and helped Eunbi get dressed after a careful bath by the hospital staff. She also did the makeup carefully for Eunbi as if she is a professional – maybe this is how they should get along in the future? After all, she is a grown-up now.

To be honest, Chaeyeon feels regret during the lecture – how she wishes she is still Eunbi's student. If she has not left that university, she may be one of those who are sitting in the lecture hall. But that was her choice to leave.

Dr. Kang Hyewon does not have a busy schedule in the afternoon – in fact she has moved some appointments around so she can sneak into Eunbi's ward to monitor her situation and to hear her teachings. She instantly clicked with the topic. So many of her unanswered questions in the past are answered altogether. She feels so touched that she never fails to give Eunbi an eye smile and thrumb up every time after she spoke.

Everyone in the classroom and the ward gives Eunbi and Yujin a big hand after the lecture. Then, unexpectedly, Eunbi got many new Facebook requests and IG followers instantly.

So suddenly, here is a Eunbi that Hyewon and even Chaeyeon have never seen. Her whole face is shining with confidence and flair. Hyewon feels dizzy by just looking at Eunbi.

"Eunbi-ssi, congratulations. Should we go out and have dinner tonight for a celebration? Actually, your healing progress is more than satisfactory, you can be discharged tomorrow...or even tonight." Hyewon pulls up her mask a little bit to cover her blush, and she turns to Chaeyeon, "Chaeyeon are you joining us too?"

Chaeyeon replies the doctor with an ear to ear grin (obviously, she has not put on a mask) that her eyes almost disappear, "I have to finish my final project proposal tonight. You two have a good time." 

"Aren't you going to graduate this semester?" Hyewon tries to act normal.

"Not yet. I have deferred one semester, but I don't think I will stay in Korea for the last semester. I have taken all the courses." Chaeyeon tries to act cool too.

"Where are you going?"

"Kagoshima. For my research and dissertation writing."

"Cool! I have thought about visiting Kagoshima too."

Eunbi suddenly laughs. "So Sakura is from Kagoshima?"

Chaeyeon blushes up. She turns to Eunbi and cannot suppress a silly grin.

"Dr. Kang," Eunbi smirks and turns to Hyewon, "let me know when you go to Kagoshima. I will join you." 

Hyewon is dumbfounded, but she plays along and says, "that's a good idea."

Chaeyeon's smile turns awkward, "Sakura must be very happy to see you both...at the same time..."

"Why?" The eonnies ask in synchronization.

Chaeyeon looks at Eunbi and then rolls her eyes to look at the doctor and then looks back at Eunbi. "Eonnie you need my help to remove the makeup?"

Eunbi and Hyewon look at each, and Eunbi smirks at Chaeyeon, "I am going out for dinner tonight. Just leave the makeup remover here. And, text Sakura we are coming. Go!"

Chaeyeon suddenly covers her ears and acts cute, "I didn't hear anything!"

Eunbi then smiles at Hyewon, "I think I need to rest a bit."

"Sure!" Hyewon looks at her wristwatch, "I still have a few appointments. I will try to come back by 6?"

"Dr. Kang, please wait for me!" Chaeyeon yelps and quickly pack her bag.

When they left the ward together, Hyewon asks Chaeyeon, "why are so afraid of your sister?"

"She seems to have been very strict to me lately." Chaeyeon pouts like a child. "Did she tell you about me?"

Hyewon nods, "a bit."

"Like?"

"You are not her real sister, you are her lover."

"Were. Not anymore."

"Oh." The doctor reacts impassively.

"Anymore except we were lovers?"

"No. Do you want to tell me? We can take the stairs."

"It's a long story. Maybe next time?" Chaeyeon says and they enter the elevator.

"Okay, you work hard then."

Chaeyeon smirks, "and you have a nice dinner too!"

Hyewon is obviously smiling when she pats Chaeyeon on the shoulder as she reaches her floor.

Right after the doctor left the elevator, Chaeyeon pulls out her phone and text Sakura: "your wish will come true!"

 

Sakura is totally dumbfounded when she got the text message from Chaeyeon, but she is in the middle of a ballet lesson and doesn't bother to reply. 

After class, Sakura checks her SNS and finally got the context of Chaeyeon's message.

- They may want to visit Kagoshima.

- Eunbi and Dr. Kang. Together.

- Shall we let them stay on the second floor?

- You may see Jaemin too, my hunch. Eunbi will divorce her husband. He agreed.

"Wow!" Sakura is thrilled.

- Wow! So I rent them the second floor, and you stay with me ;-)

- When are they coming? Are they together already? Why so sudden?

An issue comes to Sakura's mind. Actually, it has been on her mind for quite some time. Chaeyeon was right when she said she didn't want to live with other strangers. In the past 3 months, the Machiya has received over 30 guests, many of them came in pairs, and most were couples or lovers. After Sakura moved to the room on the shop floor, right under the guest room, it became embarrassing when Sakura could hear the lovers moving around and making out, especially when she was working in the shop. She added a hardwood door at the entrance of the second floor, but that just solved half of the problem. The Machiya is really old, and the wooden structure has inevitably become loosened. No matter how considerate the guests are, slightly stronger movements lead to crackling sounds and would be felt or heard by the person sleeping below. 

And that leads to another issue. Sakura has been avoiding to think about it. However, the more she tries to avoid, the more it comes to her mind. 

Chaeyeon and she...will they? But how? She is curious. She has learned everything about love and from manga and anime, and now she is experiencing it in reality...and the next step...

Sakura blushes just by thinking of this.

She decided to go to the public library and find some books. She is not very sure what kind of books she should borrow, maybe some biology books? Or maybe some fictions or manga? And there are so many useful resources online...

Oh, come on! Miyawaki Sakura, you are so pathetic! is really not a big issue. Why are you making a fuss of that? Her inner voice starts teasing her again...or maybe she should ask Chaeyeon directly? It seems that Chaeyeon is more experienced although she has never talked about that.

"Sakura sensei, goodbye!" Sakura's train of thought is interrupted by youn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter