twenty four

seeds of yesterday - baekhyun x chanyeol

One day.

 

Just one perfect day. 

 

One chance to fix the past. One shot at making it right.

 

Chanyeol had told Baekhyun to wait for him at the gates of the school and he arrived in his car right on time. It was his last day of freedom. Tomorrow he was going back to the city and back to work. He had to catch up on promoting his new album still sitting high in the charts. He felt like a changed man, like he had new strength inside him, like he had thrown away all the chains of his past that were keeping him from being happy. He felt renewed.

 

He knew why. He rounded the corner and saw him waiting at the gate, casually leaning on it in a dark hoodie and jeans, and it was like the last 8 years never happened. He was still perfect, his soulmate, his best friend, the love of his life.

 

Byun Baekhyun

 

Chanyeol felt his love burning bright as Baekhyun smiled when he saw the car approach. Chanyeol didn't know what was going to happen to them, now or in the future, but he did know that for the first time since he wanted to carve that heart on the tree he was living his life honestly.

 

"Get in!" he said as he pulled up and Baekhyun opened the door. The sky was grey and ominous but Chanyeol hoped the weather would hold off for a few hours at least. He wanted it all to be right. Baekhyun jumped into the car and must have read his mind. "There's a storm coming!" his expression was bright and made Chanyeol feel the fire inside his chest burn even brighter. The familiar scent of lavender and sunshine filled his senses as he pulled the car away from the kerb and drove towards the creek.

 

Chanyeol parked the car on the dirt road dusty and aching for rain. He grabbed the supplies from the back of the car and slung his old guitar across his back as they walked the short distance to their second favorite spot in town. The creek was running high and the rushing sound was soothing and relaxing. The comfort of a running creek was another remnant of their childhood, running creeks meant good rain, and good rain meant good crops and money in the town. 

 

The picnic rug was spread on a patch of grass near the big log and Chanyeol smiled with pride when his foil wrapped pizzas were spread out in front of them. "Man I love pizza!" Baekhyun grinned as he went for the closest slice and Chanyeol laughed. "I know. That's why I made them." He took a slice for himself and handed Baekhyun a beer and opened a second and took a big sip.

 

"I know you love pizza. And nachos. And all foods that are bad for you. You'll take a cream cake over fruit and a burger over a salad anyday."

 

"I know you love the smell of an incoming storm. I know that you pretend that all flowers are beautiful, roses and sunflowers and daisies, but deep down you love those plain little sticks of lavender the most. I know you cant resist the way the stems feel in your hands and that's why you always smell like them."

 

"I know you love to walk in the rain. When those purple clouds gather in the sky you'll find any excuse to wander outside in the hope that you'll have an excuse to get caught."

 

"I know you think a hot cup of tea is the cure for anything and the perfect thing to drink when you're wet and shivering from being caught outside in a huge downpour."

 

"I know that after two of those beers your nose will get red from the alcohol and you'll start itching at it. I know if you drink two more you'll be drunk. And you'll lose that part of you that tells you to be quiet and you'll talk freely and laugh loudly and hug me without reservation."

 

"I know you like to be strong and you like to do the right thing and I know that always makes you put yourself last. You like to please people but it makes you push your own needs and feelings aside. You think you don't need the gold and diamonds, and you don't, but you deserve them."

 

Chanyeol stopped when he realised Baekhyun was staring at him flushed faced with his half eaten pizza slice hanging limp in his hand. He felt suddenly embarrassed. He had so accidentally and easily put his feelings out on display but there was so much truth in his words and he was determined to live his life truthfully and honestly.

 

"I know you don't feel the same way but I love you so much Baekhyun. I always have and I think I always will." Chanyeol said it with such finality and stoicism, his truth was told, and he let his words hang heavy in the humid air before taking a big bite of his pizza.

 

"Is that how you would have confessed to me?" Baekhyun said quietly and Chanyeol shook his head. "No. I've had eight years to grow up and learn how to articulate my feelings. Back then I would have said some superficial , like how your smile lights up my life, or how cute your is in those jeans. Which are also true. But I've learned a lot." He swallowed the rest of the beer and opened another one and when he looked at Baekhyun he felt something shift between them. It was slight and almost imperceptible but it was definitely there and he definitely felt it.

 

They ate their pizza and enjoyed the sound of rushing water flowing through the creek as they emptied a few more beers. And just as Chanyeol predicted Baekhyun began to lose his inhibitions sip by sip. "Sing for me Chanyeol," he said as he sipped on his beer. A few drops fell from the sky and his bright smile lit up his whole face as he turned it towards the darkening clouds and dropping sun.

 

Chanyeol strummed his guitar and sang, softly at first, finally releasing the chords and the words he had worked so hard on eight years ago. He played and sang the song he learned to show his love, and Baekhyun listened and cried, he rubbed his nose that was red from the alcohol and wished he was eighteen again.

 

 

We'll do it all

Everything

On our own

 

We don't need

Anything

Or anyone

 

If I lay here

If I just lay here

Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

 

I don't quite know

How to say

How I feel

 

Those three words

Are said too much

They're not enough

 

If I lay here

If I just lay here

Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

 

Forget what we're told

Before we get too old

Show me a garden that's bursting into life

 

 

 

"I learned this for you before I could write my own songs." Chanyeol said quietly. "Back then I knew I couldn't write one good enough for you. Then you broke my heart and I wrote you a whole album full of them." Chanyeol put his guitar aside just in time to make room for Baekhyun as the other man climbed onto his lap. "Can I kiss you?" Baekhyun asked and Chanyeol nodded as hot lips crashed forcefully against his. Baekhyun wrapped his arms around Chanyeols neck and felt strong hands on his waist and as their lips caressed and their tongues found each other the sky above finally opened up. 

 

A few drops had quickly turned into a downpour and before they broke to catch their breath both Chanyeol and Baekhyun were soaked.