twenty three

seeds of yesterday - baekhyun x chanyeol

The wind whipped Baekhyun's face as the car sped down the highway. A drive seemed like a great idea and Chanyeol had filled the tank and filled the car with coffee and snacks and turned the music on. And as they drove at full speed towards the city they found comfort in their own familiar companionship. It was easy and it was wonderful.

 

"When was the last time you went to the city?" Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun flushed. "Never. Not since I was a kid anyway. I've just had too much on..." He shivered suddenly and wound the window up. "Taeyeon liked to go for weekends with her friends, drink and dance, spend money." Baekhyun's voice was wistful as he stared out the window. "I preferred to stay home." They could speak about her now. She was no longer the physical or emotional barrier separating them. She wasn't going to get in the way any more.

 

Chanyeol drove through his familiar upper class neighbourhood, past his apartment block, and towards the shopping district near his home. He parked his car, pulled a beanie down over his flame red hair, and got out of the vehicle. "Come on." He said as he got out. "We have to be quick before someone sees me."

 

The lights of the jewellery store beat down too bright and white on Baekhyun. He felt out of place in his casual jeans with a little rim of mud around the back where they were too long and dragged on the ground. His dirty sneakers and casual black tshirt made him feel like he didn't belong. But he was also fascinated and wandered aimlessly around the beautiful things sparkling under the bright donwlights. A million diamonds, bands of gold and silver and platinum, necklaces and rings and bracelets. All beautiful and precious and expensive as hell.

 

He wasn't sure why Chanyeol had brought him here but he watched him out of the corner of his eye. He was talking with the owner near a long glass cabinet and so Baekhyun stayed out of it, casually admiring all the stunning precious gems and jewels and treasures. Finally Chanyeol was done and an exchange was made and he tucked something inside his pants pocket before wandering over to Baekhyun. "See anything you like?" he asked playfuly as he winked. Baekhyun blushed and shook his head. "What good is any of this when you're digging in the dirt all day?" Chanyeol laughed out loud at the answer, probably way too loud, and the joyfully boisterous expression seemed ridiculously out of place.

 

Baekhyun laughed as well and Chanyeol's breath escaped him. In the blinding light of the jewellery store nothing shone brigher than Baekhyun's smile. Chanyeol allowed himself to stare just long enough for Baekhyun to notice and blush. "What?" he asked shyly as his fingers went to his hair and Chanyeol just smiled as he led him from the store and quickly into the car before someone saw them.

 

"That's where I live..." Chanyeol said quietly as he pointed at his building. "I have the penthouse. It's the whole top floor." He slowed down but didn't stop. "I bet it's amazing." Baekhyun said but Chanyeol just sighed. "Nah." He shook his bright red mop of hair indignantly. "Its too big and lonely."

 

They filled up again with petrol and snacks and hit the road for home. Baekhyun was tired and curled up against the window as the car made its way home along the highway. He was curious about what Chanyeol did in the jewellery store but he didn't want to ask. He decided to wait until he was told. He let his head rest against the cold glass of the window and watched a big storm cloud roll in from the east. 

 

Baekhyun's eyes grew heavy as the car's movement lulled him into a doze and his sleepiness began to erase his inhibitions. The casual company was so familiar and felt so good he just had to ask for something he knew Chanyeol would give him.

 

Nothing ever pleased Baekhyun's ears more than the soothing baritone of Chanyeol's deep voice. It was the sound of his childhood, his prepubescent lilt morphing into a deep tone over the years, and while they were apart it was something he could always use to comfort himself. He had always found solace in Chanyeol's first album, in its raw and real stories of pain and heartbreak, and he relied on it through the hardest of times when he was alone.

 

And so as the car hummed and bumped below him he found the courage to ask for what he wanted. "Will you sing for me Chanyeol?" he murmured sleepily and his softly closing eyes never saw the smile that spread across Chanyeol's face.

 

Chanyeol sang and drove and Baekhyun slept and soon enough they were home. Chanyeol parked his car outside the nursery and pushed at Baekhyun's shoulder to wake him up. "We're home." He said and laughed at the sight of Baekhyun, messy hair askew and lips shiny with drool, his brain having trouble rousing itself from it's refreshing sleep.

 

"I want to see your Dad. If he's well enough." Chanyeol said. Baekhyun led him into the house and up the stairs and down the hall to the bedroom. "Can I see him alone please." Chanyeol's voice was quiet and serious and Baekhyun nodded and went downstairs to make tea.

 

Chanyeol was in with him for what felt like forever. In reality it was probably about ten minutes. He looked scruffy and puffy eyed when he came downstairs and Baekhyun wrapped his arms around his tall sensitive friend. Chanyeol just sighed and let Baekhyun bury his face into his chest and they stood like that in the kitchen unmoving until the comfort of their shared pain seemed tempered.

 

"Do you want tea?" Baekhun filled the kettle again and Chanyeol nodded. He took an envelope out of his pocket and handed it to Baekhyun. "I don't want you to make a big deal about this." Tears filled his eyes and his voice cracked and wavered. "You can't say no. It's not for you. It's for your Dad." Baekhyun opened the envelope and saw it was stuffed full of notes. His hand shook as he went to push it back towards Chanyeol but he turned away and stared out the window. "I.." he started and then stopped and started again. "I bought a ring. I never should have. I told myself it was for Kyungsoo but it wasn't. It was the wrong thing to do. And then I was going to give it to Sehun..." Chanyeol's voice trailed off as he staredout the window at the lavender and lillies nodding in the brisk breeze.

 

"Don't try and tell me it's fine Baekhyun. I know it must be hard. Medicine and stuff is expensive...." He turned back to Baekhyun with tears in his eyes. "Please. Please let me do this. I owe him everything." He did. Baekhyun's father was the source of his two great loves and nothing would ever repay him for bringing them into the world.

 

"I don't know how to thank you." Baekhyun felt suddenly awkward as he poured hot water into two mugs, adding  a third to the counter when he saw the time, and Chanyeol grabbed his arm suddenly and turned him towards his body.

 

"One day." He said breathlessly. "Please. Just give me one day. I want to go back and do the last day over again. How I wanted it to go." He let go of Baekhyun's arm and moved hs hands to the sides of his face. "I'll be going back to the city soon. Please just let me have one day."

 

Baekhyun nodded his agreement. It was all he could give and he would give it willingly to Chanyeol. In that moment he felt like he owed him everything.