eighteen

seeds of yesterday - baekhyun x chanyeol

The day of the reunion had finally arrived. Chanyeol felt much lighter after making his public announcement. Speculation about the other person in his life was rippling through the media but he was relatively immune where he was. Growing up he always felt like this town was too small, it was stifling and suffocating, it was constricting. Now it felt liberating.

 

He knew that Baekhyun was coming to the reunion. Even if he wasn't seeing Sehun he probably would have been invited anyway. He was almost part of the family and everyone loved him. His sweet nature and charming personality swept everyone under his spell. Not just Chanyeol, everyone who met him, there was no immunity to Baekhyun's natural charisma.

 

And now that Chanyeol had made peace with his decision he felt free. Free to be his friend again, free to have Baekhyun back in his life, free from his heartbreaking feelings of rejection and grief. He was going to be a good friend. And he was going to be the best friend he could be.

 

He was going to start by visiting Baekhyun's Dad and seeing what he could do to make things easier on Baekhyun's parents. They had almost raised him, never turned their backs on his needs, and he could never forget that it was Baekhyun's Dad who found his precious guitar dusty and unloved in the corner of a second hand store all those years ago.

 

Next he was going to tell Baekhyun and Sehun that he supported them. That he would do anything he could to ensure their happiness. He would make sure that things worked out for them the way they never did for Chanyeol. Baekhyun deserved happiness and if it was in Sehun's arms then so be it. Chanyeol would accept it and do whatever he could to make sure they could be happy.

 

He dressed in his best clothing. A neat button up black shirt tucked into the narrow waist of his slim black dress pants. He rolled the sleeves up and added his watch. When he opened the little zip up bag he liked to carry his jewellery in he saw the ring box lying abandoned in the bottom. Purchased for Kyungsoo, he had been too emotional to even think of returning it, but now he could think with a clear mind. He decided to give it to Sehun. It didn't seem quite right for Baekhyun but it was beautiful and expensive and it deserved to be used. He wasn't really sure of the depths of his brother's feelings but he could hold onto it for a little while and when the time came and he needed a ring he would have one that was beautiful and expensive and precious enough to deserve its place on Baekhyuns soft white hand.

 

It was so expensive they could probably sell it and pay for a whole wedding. Or a honeymoon somewhere special. Or even a deposit for their own little home. Chanyeol didn't care. They could have it for whatever they needed. Chanyeol would make sure they had whatever they needed to be happy.

 

He fixed his hair and added his favorite aftershave. He looked good and he knew it and it made him feel a little better to walk in with confidence. And he was finally ready to face it.

 

 

When he walked in they were already there. Everyone was. A few turned to stare at him, a few whispered, even amongst his family he couldn't escape the novelty of celiebrity. It followed him into every aspect of his life. But they were all happy to down glasses of the pricey champagne he had payed for without them even knowing. He walked alone among them, foregoing food in favour of a drink, solitary until he saw him standing there.

 

Baekhyun was perfect. His shiny dark hair was almost glittering under the lights of the town hall they had hired for the party. His white shirt was plain but it fit him well and the sleeves were turned back in a coincidental imitation of Chaneyols own style. His charcoal grey pants were fitted nicely to his body and the two glasses of champagne Chanyeol had already consumed made his head fuzzy at the sight. He had almost forgot how much Baekhyun's beauty and his sensuality affected him but it soon came flooding back with the rush of alcohol.

 

"Hey!" Chanyeol smiled brightly at Baekhyun and almost melted when he smiled back. But even with the warmth of the champagne in his belly he never forgot his purpose. To stand at his side and be his friend and push his own feelings deep down where they couldn't hurt anyone ever again. They shared another round of champagne and they years began to slip away as they remembered the times, good and bad, but mostly good.

 

"Remember when Jongdae convinced us to toilet paper the whole courtyard!" Baekhyun began to giggle and couldn't even get the words out properly. Chanyeol looked for the waiter, leaned over the bar and helped himself to two more glasses, handing one to Baekhyun. "Yes!" Chanyeol's voice was getting louder with each glass.

 

"Remember when we had that heat wave and the creek was empty and we jumped the fence and sneaked into the school pool!"

 

Chanyeol smiled when they were interrupted by Sehun who slipped in next to his small boyfriend and put an arm possessively around his shoulder. Chanyeol failed to notice Baekhyun's slight flinch. He never saw his face fall when Chanyeol found his cigarettes and turned to walk outside. "I'll leave you guys alone now." He said softly. He didn't want to be in the way.

 

He leaned on the wall outside and drew in a deep drag of the smoke. He had taken his champagne with him. He didn't remember if it was glass number four or five but he felt warm and happy inside. He was doing the right thing. Baekhyun was back in his life and just an hour or so of conversation was enough to make his heart swell with happiness. Baekhyun was his joy, he was the light inside Chanyeol, and it was wonderful to feel it burning bright again.

 

 

 

 

Inside, the tension was high, and Sehun wasn't happy. Baekhyun could tell. But he was growing tired already of the boy's immature ways and he didn't know what he was thinking when he started dating the younger man. He had mistaken his quiet nature for a reserved maturity and he was only now starting to see that he was mistaken.

 

"You look too friendly." Sehun sulked into his lemonade. "We're friends Sehun. Best friends. After all that happened between us I still don't have any answers. But I'm just happy to have him back in my life. I need him." Baekhyun reached for another glass of champage and on a whim grabbed two. He was warm inside and had lost count of how many glasses he'd already had. His tolerance was low at the best of times and all he knew was that he wanted to be with Chanyeol, who was happy and fun and free, not standing here with Sehun sulking like a baby. The alcohol in his system had eroded Baekhyun's patience and he grabbed the two glasses and walked outside.

 

"Don't you walk away from me." Sehun yelled as he followed him outside. His mood was awful and Baekhyun just wanted to get away. "You're not my boss Sehun. I'll go talk to my friend if I want." Baekhyun's words were slightly slurred but his steps were steady and he turned to walk towards Chanyeol leaning over on the fence. "Why are you so jealous of my best friend? And your own brother?"

 

"Because!" Sehun was yelling as he trailed Baekhyun towards Chanyeol. Chanyeol seemed fixed to the spot in surprise as the two men got closer and closer to him. Like an approaching thunderstorm, rolling in from the west, the arguing men got closer. Chaneyol frowned when he saw Sehun grab Baekhyun roughly by the arm and one glass of champagne hit the ground. He heard Baekhyun, yelling now, his voice wavering with alcohol and emotion. "What is your problem. Why are you so jealous of Chanyeol?" 

 

"Because!" Sehun yelled back. "Because he's in love with you. He always has been!"

 

Chaneyol just stood open mouthed while the second glass hit the ground.