Chapter 15

But Not For Me

Hongbin notices Sanghyuk has been a little bit quiet ever since they met at the bus stop to go to the gaming convention. But not that Hongbin wanted to be a busy body, as he might or might not know what's the cause of Sanghyuk's silence. They walk around at the convention, having their eyes on the new items- Sanghyuk is more interested in the latest game features while Hongbin is amazed by the facilities they used to play games. Especially the PC with huge and expensive chairs. He has been looking at those for a while.

The hall is quite crowded, both of them could tell they are not the only high school students attending to see the games and all, but there are event students who came in their uniforms. Pls, working people also are present. Hongbin stops by the electronic devices for quite some time until Sanghyuk finally figures that Hongbin wasn't next to him as he walked. The taller turns his heels back to Hongbin and see how his eyes shine upon the amazing devices. "You liked it?" he asked. Hongbin glances to his side and saw Sanghyuk is standing next to him, showing interest. 

"Quite do. This thing is amazing with games- look at the screen curves though," Hongbin said as his voice doesn't stray with the feeling of amazingness. Somehow, watching the items in this gaming convention has to make Hongbin promise to collect his own money to own one of the expensive devices. Staying there for almost 15 minutes with only Hongbin figures out how to control the computer and also tested some games- Hongbin notices the awkward silence again. He turns his head only to see Sanghyuk is looking at his phone, worriedly as if he is waiting for someone.

"Are you okay, Hyuk-ah? Waiting for someone?" Hongbin asked, awaking Sanghyuk from his phone. However, Sanghyuk shakes his head, denying the questions. 

"Are you sure? You have been so quiet ever since we came here though. Do you have something to share?" it was concerning since Sanghyuk isn't a quiet dude ever since Hongbin hang out with him. 

"Nah, Hakyeon promised me to send one of his dance videos since he said he has assessment. And kinda asked me to choose which one is the best so he can send it to the dance teacher. But he hasn't sent me any yet," Sanghyuk said. It was the truth since he promised Hakyeon at school this morning. And it has become a routine for both of them since forever.

Listened to Sanghyuk, Hongbin gives a knowing nod. He keeps his hands off the PC and they walk around again. Even it was the truth, Hongbin still sensed there is something that Sanghyuk didn't tell him, despite being here with him. He remembers the time when he tagged along Hyuk to his boxing training and Sanghyuk's friends has been asking who was him. And where Hakyeon is. Hongbin only managed to give them a smile while Sanghyuk most of the things.

He knows he shouldn't be jealous of Hakyeon, but he can't help it when he heard some stuff that Sanghyuk actually had feelings for Hakyeon. They were already friends for years after all- it must be weird if one of them didn't have feelings for another. "Sanghyuk-ah, is it okay if I want to ask you something?" the first question once both of them already left the hall and at the restaurant for early dinner. Hongbin orders himself a beef ramyun while Sanghyuk prefers bibimbap for himself.

As he noticed the curious nods, Hongbin stops stirring with his noodle and gives his attention to Sanghyuk. So does the latter. "So, are you and Hakyeon just best friends? Nothing more?" he asked, batting his eyelashes to persuade Hyuk to answer him. The taken aback look gives Hongbin a tiny suspicion of his assumptions. 

"Why did you asked? And yes Hakyeon and I, we've been closed since long ago. Our moms are good friends," Sanghyuk said, narrowing his eyes upon Hongbin's question. 

"Well, I was just asking. So, has he sent you the videos? Can I see?" Hyuk glances at his phone, and his hair flails as he shakes his head. "He hasn't sent me anything. Well, he must have decided himself," Hongbin nods, understand.

"By the way, Hyuk-ah. Did you buy anything there? I noticed there was this one new game feature that will be released next month," Hongbin talks, but there was no answer coming from Hyuk when he catches the boy is having his mind somewhere else. Hence, he reaches his hand closer to Hyuk, tapping the bigger palm on the table.

Hyuk quivers as he feels the small soft hands touching his. "Huh, what?" it was a reflex when Sanghyuk pulls his hands away from Hongbin's touch.

"You're daydreaming. are you really okay? Are you sick?" Hongbin asked concerns, but also Sanghyuk denies. He's perfectly fine but it's just Hakyeon didn't send him the videos wonders him why. Sanghyuk recalls the image of Hakyeon's face play in his memory when his best friend hold onto his uniform before he went home with Hongbin since he needs to stay back at school for his extra dance class. Hakyeon told him that he was chosen to perform for the school's festival and Hyuk can't congratulate him for long since they need to be at the convention early.

He noticed the upset look on Hakyeon but somehow he just thinks he can't be late for this. And now Hakyeon hasn't texted him for the thing he asked, Hyuk somewhat feel guilty for ignoring Hakyeon just now. He's making sure to give Hakyeon a call once he gets home later.

 

♦♦♦

 

Taekwoon sits in the locker room at the bench closed by Wonshik's locker, waiting for the latter's soccer practice to finish soon. He twirls his wrist that has been hurting for these few days and Taekwoon feels unease with the unusual cramps. The last time he had cramps was when he had his wrist surgery before and that only lasted for a week's time. The doctor said it was normal but what the doctor said and Taekwoon ignores was he needs to slow down his boxing. Which Taekwoon sighs. He stares at the surgery scar he had on his left hand.

He has been thinking of this injury he had before and he even has the thought of quitting boxing as well but he hates it. For him, boxing has been in his blood and he can't do anything except this. Taekwoon sighs, lowering his head in defeat until he doesn't notice Wonshik enters the locker room with a towel hangs on his neck. Seeing Taekwoon holding his wrist, Wonshik flops on the bench right next to him before grabbing Taekwoon's wrist.

"What's wrong? Is it hurting?" he asks, examines Taekwoon's wrist. The boxer pulls away and making uncomfortable expression when Wonshik suddenly comes and grabs on his arm. 

"Nah, just a little cramp. I might overdo it. It's going to be okay though, just don't tell Jaehwan about it he will be so noisy," Taekwoon denies and ignores the look that Wonshik gives him. His best friend has been worried for him over nothing, Taekwoon assumes. Well, it's better Wonshik than Jaehwan. The other would fuss him to go see the specialist. 

"Yah, a cramp won't make you pale Taekwoon. Are you really okay? You should listen to the doctor that you need to-"

"What? Boxing? Wonshik, we talked about this before. I can still do it, and I want to. Enough if you want to nag I'll better go home instead of hanging out," Taekwoon pretends to grab his bag when Wonshik surrenders. He can't afford to have Taekwoon go since Taekwoon promised him to treat him hamburgers for accompanying Jaehwan for lunch yesterday. It was a small matter but he really needs it since Jaehwan was so mad about it. Taekwoon waits for Wonshik to wash up a little after sweating a lot and they leave the locker room together.

On the way, Taekwoon saw the dance room is still open and halts their step when he saw a human body gracefully moves with a ribbon hanging on his mouth. The music played was soft, filled with traditional concepts and elegance. He stops only to watch Hakyeon dances even it wasn't the first time but Hakyeon makes him stop blinking with his moves and the burning passion of Hakyeon when he danced draw Taekwoon in deeper. Wonshik looks at his friend's whipped face, scoffing.

"If you like him that much why don't you invite him together eat with us? The time almost dawn dude, he might hungry," Wonshik suggests, Taekwoon turns his face behind before looking back at Hakyeon.

"He might refuse though," Taekwoon assumes, remembering yesterday's event when he kissed the latter. Hakyeon was all red and shy upon Taekwoon's proposal to be his boyfriend. But what makes Taekwoon happy was, Hakyeon didn't push him like the first time at the infirmary. Yesterday was only a pure kiss even Hakyeon didn't kiss him back, Hakyeon didn't resist him. So, Taekwoon considers that as a one step closer to get Hakyeon's heart. 

"Just try it- look. He's done, Taekwoon go. Since when you're resisting. Weren't you always confident to flirt him?" Taekwoon grits his teeth when Wonshik becomes a pushover. Suddenly, when they are busy peeping over Hakyeon behind the wall, someone comes behind those two and grabs both of them by the collar, resulting Wonshik to half-screaming, shocked. To their surprise, it was Jaehwan who is finished with his singing practice coming behind them. Being a good boyfriend Wonshik is, he gives Jaehwan a small kiss on his lips. Taekwoon cringes in disgust, no matter how many times he saw them kissing he just can't get used to it.

"What are you guys doing here? Peeking on the hot dancer, huh?" he shots Taekwoon a naughty glare and gets a smack on the head by the boxer.

"What about you? Don't you have singing class?"

"I'm done. Plus, Hakyeon and I are going to eat since I thought you guys were having 'athlete's talk' and I'm not invited. For Hakyeon's case, Hyuk went to a game convention with library guy so Hakyeon was left alone," Jaehwan explains before the three of them making moves to the dance room, surprising Hakyeon with another two boys instead of only Jaehwan.

His tanned face immediately lits up upon seeing Taekwoon at the door, smiling at him. The voice of Taekwoon asking him to date was still fresh, Hakyeon can't still remove from his brain. "Hakyeon, are you done? Let's go, I'm starving. Do you mind if these two idiots tag us along?" Jaehwan asked, Hakyeon awkwardly shakes his head. 

"O- okay, no problem. Give me a moment," Hakyeon scrambles around and collect his items before following the three of them quietly.

Wonshik and Jaehwan walk in front, leaving Hakyeon and Taekwoon behind together. Taekwoon was rather silent and only waits for Hakyeon to talk about something, while Hakyeon is quiet also waiting for Taekwoon to crack a joke or something since Taekwoon has never been this quiet before. The thoughts make Hakyeon stops on his foot, giving Taekwoon a curious look but then he walks again, ignoring the frown on Taekwoon's face. Hakyeon's weird acts were funny to Taekwoon and he might or might not knows what Hakyeon had in his mind.

He slowly or purposely bumps his hand Hakyeon's hand, linking his pinky finger on Hakyeon's finger but acting as if he didn't do anything wrong. "So, mind telling me why you are okay to go eat alone with Jaehwan but not me? And why not tell me if Hyuk went out with Hongbin and ditched you?" Taekwoon asked.

"He didn't ditch me. They went to a convention and I don't like games. So, I eat with Jaehwan since I found him comfortable," 

"Did I make you uncomfortable? Huk, I feel offended Hakyeonie," Taekwoon touches his chest, faking his offensive face. 

"What do you think? Jaehwan didn't kiss me like- forget it!" Hakyeon lets go of Taekwoon's hands and rush to walk further, leaving Taekwoon all smiling. He knows exactly what Hakyeon wants to say but he was just embarrassed to admit. Chasing Hakyeon is his favorite habit and he never has the intention of stopping. 

"Hakyeon, finish what you're saying! Hey wait for me," Taekwoon runs, leaving Wonshik and Jaehwan at the back, since Hakyeon is leaving in front and quickly enters the burger restaurant.