Chapter 12

But Not For Me

Hakyeon decided to went back early yesterday since he has nothing to do at the mall and he saw from afar with Taekwoon and his friends that Sanghyuk had so much fun playing games with Hongbin. Well, that was the plan- to help Hongbin and Sanghyuk to get together even though Sanghyuk said he doesn't like Hongbin the way he wanted them to be. However, judging from the unseparated chemistry both of them have, Hakyeon was glad that he can help Hongbin. He texted Sanghyk that he will be home early since there were no nice movies and he didn't want to play games. 

He gave Jaehwan some scoldings too for exposing him to the annoying chatty man on his right, well Jaehwan was sorry since Taekwoon threatened to hit him if he didn't tell and he didn't want to die young. Thus, he gave him a kick on Taekwoon's shin resulting in him groaned in pain. Well, that's that. Taekwoon sent him home (after a long ride and eating). And today, Hakyeon decided to treat Sanghyuk for breakfast since he left him early yesterday so this is like a token of apologizing even both of them always had breakfast together.

The house was quiet- too quiet because he would hear Sanghyuk bickers with his sister every morning. "Hello, mom! Is Sanghyuk still sleeping because it feels quiet," it was Sanghyuk's mother opened the door for him, but the elder was surprised when there is no Sanghyuk along with him.

"Eh? I thought he slept over at your place since he told me he will be at a friend's home," Hakyeon stops drinking the juice served. So Sanghyuk didn't come back last night and went to Hongbin's place. But didn't tell him and make him come over. Smiling, Hakyeon turns to Mrs. Han. "Oh yes! Oh God, I'm sorry I forgot about it. He maybe slept over at this one his gaming friend. Don't worry I'll call him later," it was quite upsetting since Sanghyuk didn't text him at all and but well, Hakyeon felt at some pot it wasn't Sanghyuk's fault he was here.

As he had a small breakfast prepared by Sanghyuk's mom, Hakyeon walked along back to his home to get back to sleep since he will have a dance practice this evening. In the way, Hakyeon decides to give his best friend a call and Sanghyuk picked up after three rings.

"Oh yah! You didn't tell me you slept at Hongbin's last night," Hakyeon scolds, as he heard Sanghyuk's groans when he just awake because of his calls.

"Sorry, it was late so I slept here. Where are you?" he asked.

Well, bingo! "I went to your house to have breakfast together but mom said you didn't come back," there was an upset tone laced in his voice, yet Hakyeon tries to cheer himself up. "But it's okay! I had breakfast with your family at your place. Anyway, I have to go. Got some stuff came up. Bye," Hakyeon knows Sanghyuk didn't really listen to him when he's sleeping. So, he's not bothered to talk a lot with the later so he jogs back to his house and gets his bag ready.

Thank God, his place and Sanghyuk's are not far from each other so Hakyeon is less upset.  As he arrived, Hakyeon saw his mother is still in the kitchen cleaning the breakfast plates and his father is watching the television. "Oh, Hakyeonie! I thought you said you're having breakfast with Sanghyuk," he plops on the couch next to his father, looking grumpy. He darts his eyes to the television, watching whatever shows his dad but his mind was somewhere else. Audible sighs released from his lips.

"Sanghyuk wasn't at home, he was at another friend's place," pouts, Hakyeon stands up again and walks to the kitchen hoping to see if there's any leftover he can eat. It was quite a dark day, so Hakyeon eats some more breakfast before he heads to his room for another round of sleep. He needs to recharge his energy for the practice this evening.

 

♦♦

 

Taking two dance lessons both at school and private one- Hakyeon makes sure he will strive for the best- to be the best performer. He looks at himself, the way he moves and jumps, every step he takes, Hakyeon ensures all perfect and flawless. His dance teacher and other students watch how he did and Hakyeon can't lie to himself that he has a bit of pride there once he becomes a model. "Okay Hakyeon enough," his dance teacher claps his hand, asking Hakyeon to stop and asked him to get his five minutes break. "That's how you do it. Who noticed what Hakyeon has when he dances?" the youngest student named Jihoon raises his hand.

"Hakyeon hyung's eyes. They're angry and scary," he said, making Hakyeon laugh. 

"Jihoon-ah, its focus and sharp. In dance you have to HAVE that so, your audiences can have goosebumps," Hakyeon stands up to explain. Jihoon nods understand. Hakyeon glances at the clock on the wall- showing perfectly 6:25 pm, the class should be dismissed in five more minutes. Hakyeon told the teacher and ushers all the youngers to clean up their items.

"Hakyeon, can I have a minute?" he looks up to his teacher, walking along with his black bag behind his shoulder. "Yes, hyung?" Hakyeon asked, his teacher's eyes look trouble as if he's trying to convey something important to Hakyeon.

"This, uhh. Do you want to work here at the weekend? One of the teachers is quitting so we need a part-timer for the time being," the news is a surprise to Hakyeon which he never expects to work there when he himself is also a student. To say this is an honor, Hakyeon would feel bad a little since for Hakyeon himself, he is nothing compared to those teachers. Hakyeon scratches his un-itchy head, thinking of the offer that might cost him both pros and cons. He knows this would benefit him so much if he ever wanted to join an art academy one day.

The teacher looks desperate, leaving Hakyeon a piece of guilt if he can't help him but if he does, this might affect his study too and Hakyeon afraid he can't balance his studies and dances. "Uhm Jun hyung, can you give me some time to think? Because I don't know yet and I have to ask my parents first," somehow Jihoon heard their discussion and the little boy walks excitedly to Hakyeon's side before holding on to his hands.

"Jihoon likes if Hakyeon hyung teach us dancing!" the tiny boy's voice resonates in the whole dance room, attracting the other kids' attention on them as well. The loud cheers making Hakyeon feel nervous even more when most of the students wanted him to teach them. 

Looking at their enthusiastic energy, knowing that Hakyeon will have the chance to teach them makes him happy as well. Just, he wishes not to disappoint them or their parents if the teacher is Hakyeon, a student. There are hopes in the children's eyes, the young spirit that wants him to sacrifice his time to give them his dance teaching makes Hakyeon's heart to melt right away. So does the hyung who wants Hakyeon to teach. "If hyung teach you guys, will you promise me to behave and listen?" he asked, and immediately received a loud 'yes' from the students.

"Well, the kids decided to have me. BUT, I can't make it next week since I'm watching a ballet performance," Jun slaps his arm playfully before he nods in approval. Well, since Hkayeon agreed to teach why not give him some time to get his own space. 

It was already 7 in the evening when Hakyeon walks out from the dance studio- it was already dawn, but thanks to the street lamp, he doesn't really feel lonely. Hakyeon takes out the earphone from his back and listens to whatever song in his playlist. But, even with the lights and there are people walking around, Hakyeon somehow feels unsafe. As if someone is following him from behind. He looks back, but nobody that he knows can be seen- only the public who might think Hakyeon is weird watching him with a quirky stare.

He decides to ignore and tries to walk faster but suddenly someone grabs his bag from behind making him see five people are circling him. Those faces are familiar- the same kids who hit him the other day. "Look who we have here. Sanghyuk's pretty boy," the blonde one smirks, drawing out the same chuckle from the other four. Sighing, Hakyeon shakes his head passing them. Which it's only a useless try when the other one stands before him. 

"What do you guys want? I'm busy," Hakyeon snickers. 

Hakyeon assumes the blonde one is their leader, so he sticks his eyes to the blonde on, glaring as if he can kill them with those eyes. Seeing Hakyeon tries to intimidate them, the leader walks to the front, facing him before cupping Hakyeon's tiny chin with his hand. Tight enough to make him feel the pain. "I assume you don't tell Sanghyuk who left bruises on your face, huh? Should we add some more colors guys?" he says. 

"Try me then," Hakyeon provokes when he kicks the blonde on his glory, resulting in the most painful injury he ever tasted before Hakyeon runs away as fast as he can. Looking back, he can see the boys are chasing after him. "," he silently curses as he runs on his might until Hakyeon accidentally hits someone against his chest.

"Oh, hey beautiful! Why are you running?" oh great! What luck now Hakyeon bumps into Taekwoon who is still in his white tank top and black shorts with messy hair and bag sling behind him. "Tae- Taekwoon!"

Hakyeon looks behind when the boys are already behind him, Hakyeon pants in scared and tired due to the long run. Taekwoon notices the familiar faces that had a piece of him before and now chased Hakyeon again. Which is also going to face him at this moment. Taekwoon places Hakyeon behind him, feeling the tight clutch on his shirt. Hakyeon was scared- he can feel them when he saw the look in Hakyeon's shiny eyes. "Didn't I told you if you want to fight, find someone that is the same level as yours. Why are you guys chasing after him?"

"Look, Taekwoon, right? I know you're a national player but we don't have any business with you. We just want to talk with that pretty boy so and him over," Taekwoon glances behind him and saw Hakyeon shakes his head. "If you want to talk with MY pretty boy, you should talk to me first," he persistence.

"Stay behind and don't move an inch. Okay? You'll be fine," Taekwoon says. The tight clutch on his shirt has lasted only before the blonde launches his fist in Taekwoon's direction and he dodges while holding Hakyeon's hand. It was a scary moment when Taekwoon let his hands go only to hit him back. Fistfights are nothing for him when Taekwoon mostly dodges and hittings instead of received the hit. Hakyeon screams when Taekwoon was punched on the face- he was so worried but it was nothing for a tough boxer like him.

Fighting was in his blood as Taekwoon only takes a few minutes to take them down. The scene was horrible to Hakyeon- the only time he witnessed a fight was when Sanghyuk had a battle and the last time was at the convenience store. And now he was relieved that none of the punch gets on his face or his tummy. The unforgettable punch was still haunting him hard- just how these people could stand beatings. Taekwoon also received the hits for him, Hakyeon feels guilty and nervous to see the blood flows at the corner of his lips.

“- hey Cha Hakyeon. Tell Sanghyuk to give up or you’ll be the victim,”

“As I said, you have to get over me first if you wanna talk to him. And if you have things with Sanghyuk, find him. Not Hakyeon. Why? Are you afraid of Sanghyuk?” Taekwoon smirks, chasing off all the delinquents. "Too bad now you know if you messed with Hakyeon, it's not Sanghyuk will hit you, but me. Understand?!" once the bullies run away, Taekwoon turns to face Hakyeon. The smile remains unbothered even when his face was a total mess- messy hair, blood on his lips and maybe a few bruises will appear on his face. And there are times when Hakyeon feels relieved that Taekwoon was there when he needs him.