Chapter 10

But Not For Me

The mid-year exams are coming up soon and students started to get themselves ready for their upcoming tests. Hakyeon and Sanghyuk also don’t miss to keep themselves ready by studying together. Which it has been a routine for those two to study together. And in the middle of the ‘study group’, Hakyeon has listened to endless times of Hyuk’s voice of annoyance and the question of why they have to study, he’s bored and hungry which Hakyeon pretends he heard nothing. Pouts, Sanghyuk continues to play with his pencil. Both of them are not the best student, especially Hyuk when he always focused on his curricular activities instead of studying.

Different from his best friend, Hakyeon tries to maintain both of his studies and dancing. He’s maybe not the best in studying, but for sure hAkyeon is well known for his amazing dancing skills. Nobody in the school could beat him as Hakyeon is amazing in all genres. Well, he also has the looks, that's why girls and boys are going crazy for him. Even some of them envying Sanghyuk for having a good friend like Hakyeon. As of now, Hakyeon supposed to teach him math but Sanghyuk obviously shows a lack of interest in studying and Hakyeon doesn’t even want to force him either.

He had enough of forcing and persuading Hyuk to get his hands and brain on the numbers. The last thing Hakyeon said was ‘don’t put the blame on me if you fail this’ and Hyuk pretend he heard nothing. So now here they are, Hakyeon who is studying hard and Sanghyuk who is playing hard with the games he had been addicted to. The only reason Hakyeon can bear with it because Hyuk promises to shut his mouth when Hakyeon is studying. “Hakyeon-ah, when will you finish? I’m getting hungry...” he whines for the nth times. His whine ends up glares by Hakyeon because what he did was nothing except gaming, gaming, and gaming.

"Listen Hyuk-ah, if you don't pass this subject, you will have to repeat the subject and that will keep rotating until you finished your school. Are you going to graduate with me or you will graduate alone? It's your call," Hakyeon continues to his book after 'lecturing' Sanghyuk. Their birthday was only a few days apart but their characters are so different when Hakyeon is much much more mature that Sanghyuk. Especially in terms of patience. Well, it suits their hobbies though- dancing who requires patience to listen to the songs and also boxing- which needs more hitting and beatings.

Sometimes Hakyeon also doesn't know how they were friends since their personality is so different. Hyuk plays with his pencil, trying to distract Hakyeon from studying plus trying to bribe him for some good hot chocolate in this cold weather. Too bad Hakyeon isn't someone who is easily distracted with food so he keeps ignoring Sanghyuk until Hongbin comes to their table with a bunch of snacks. It is enough to make Sanghyuk's eyes lit up once he saw two slices of chocolate cake, and quickly smiles up instead of being all grumpy.

"No, you can't eat this. It's for Hakyeon," Hongbin pulls away the cake from Sanghyuk's eyes before giving Hakyeon the cakes. Feeling betrayed, Sanghyuk pouts in annoyance while Hakyeon gives him the most cunning smirks. "He has the right to decide if you can eat or not because it's his. So, if you want to eat, you have to listen to what Hakyeon says," Hongbin puts on his hand up the air for a hi-five with his new friend, which Hakyeon gladly receives. Leaving Sanghyuk alone in disbelief when they are teaming up against them.

"I can't believe you guys. I'm gonna buy some drinks! I hate you Cha Hakyeon!" he snickers before bring his up, to the nearest cafeteria, leaving Hakyeon and Hongbin alone. They saw Sanghyuk stomps his foot from behind, and he accidentally tripped himself. Seriously even when he's angry, Sanghyuk looks so adorable with his enormous size with long legs but childish acts. As for Hongbin, of course, he looks at the man with another kind of looks, a loving one. He doesn't know since when and what makes him likes Sanghyuk but his heart was totally snatched by him.

He lost in his own thoughts of Sanghyuk, locking the dimpled smile on him until Hakyeon has to slap his hand on the table. "Yah Lee Hongbin! Are you that whipped for my best friend?" He teases, popping out pink tints on the latter. 

He knows he was caught by Hakyeon, quickly tries to defend himself but it was useless since he's too obvious this time. "How's Sanghyuk? I heard you guys played games at his home. He's a gentleman isn't he?" Hakyeon tries to stick his nose from Hongbin, even he heard Sanghyuk. But now, he wants to listen to this from Hongbin's side. Sanghyuk is no fun, he favors a more adorable story from Hongbin. 

"U-ugh.. well, he's okay, Sanghyuk is nice even sometimes he looks fierce. But he's a puppy. Oh, and he lost to me every time we played games," proud, Hongbin is so proud when he talks about Sanghyuk which Hakyeon himself also happy to see them developing. "That's cool! Sanghyuk is like that, he's nice but he's just a puppy," Hakyeon adds, drawing laughs from Hongbin. 

Their fun times aren't that long until they received an uninvited guest with his two friends, that Hakyeon only saw them once or twice. The singing club secretary, Lee Jaehwan and his boyfriend Kim Wonshik, a basketball player. "Hi Yoni! You look pretty today!" Taekwoon slips himself on Sanghyuk's seat, resting his arm on the table while facing Hakyeon. Blinking his eyes, Taekwoon leans more forward to look at Hakyeon for a better view. 

And it's like a routine when Hakyeon had to roll his eyes whenever he saw Taekwoon right before his eyes. "What an eyesore," Hakyeon clicks his tongue direct on Taekwoon's face, but for someone who knows nothing about getting lost or screw off, he laughs off Hakyeon's profanities on him. "Aw, and you look prettier when you angry. I like pretty boy, especially the one with soft hair and tanned skin," he whispers the last words, but everyone could hear him. Hongbin is clueless to see Taekwoon there endlessly flirts with Hakyeon despite all the rejections by Hakyeon.

Wonshik and Jaehwan, who already get used and they have to be used to it- only roll their eyes, especially Jaehwan when he knows Taekwoon was being annoying and only annoyed Hakyeon even more. "Hakyeon, I'm sorry, he's kinda dumb," all eyes look at Jaehwan when he speaks out. Sighing, Hakyeon nods. "I know, not kinda but your friend here is really dumb when he doesn't even know the off words," they talked as if Taekwoon isn't there to listen.

"Hey! Lee Jaehwan shut up. I'm talking to the most beautiful creature here. Right, Hakyeon? What are you doing tomorrow? Are you free?" the tall boxer continues, he continues flirting though he knows Hakyeon is far from replying to him. "Hongbin-ah, it's noisy here, isn't it? Let's move. Call Sanghyu-"

"Oh, whose cake is this?! Let me have it!"Hakyeon didn't get to say no when Taekwoon already grabs the spoon and dig in a big bite of the chocolate cake.

"Are you crazy?! That's Sanghyuk's cake!" Hakyeon screams when he saw Taekwoon the excess chocolates on his lips when Hakyeon is more worried about Sanghyuk's wrath when someone touches his food. Especially the 'someone' is Sanghyuk's biggest opponent and he hates the most. "Jung Taekwooon! That's Sanghyuk!" Hakyeon pulls away the chocolate cake from Taekwoon's hand, but he is faster to grab the cake from Hakyeon.

"So what? It tastes good by the way. Wanna share?" he puckers his lips disgustingly in front of Hakyeon. All of them had their eyes on Taekwoon being childish, especially Hakyeon who is beyond disgusted with this man. He thought Sanghyuk was the only tall guy with weird childish character but here comes another. Do all tall boxers have the same character or what?!

Speechless, Hakyeon lets Taekwoon has his way of eating Sanghyuk's cake, but his eyes caught a glance of a furious Sanghyuk, walking to their direction. Giving hints to Hongbin to shut up, the dimples somehow understand the code given and pretends as if nothing happened. Soon. Wait, it's actually now. "Who gave you permission to touch. My. ing. Food," Sanghyuk grabs Taekwoon's collar from behind, creating the awkward situation at the table. Smiling as if he's innocent, Taekwoon grabs Sanghyuk's hands to off from his collar, quite harshly.

"Your bestfriend here. Why?" Hakyeon's eyes widened as he heard the accusations, quickly denies. Hongbin is also is taken aback with Taekwoon's action. "Hakyeon stops him but this guy here is stubborn," Hongbin backs up, again Taekwoon earns a glare from Sanghyuk.

"I told you to off, didn't I?" Sanghyuk warns, making Taekwoon sarcastically chuckles. "What if I don't want to? You gonna tell your mom about it?" Taekwoon continues to provoke. Hakyeon on the other side is already worried about what will happen when it was just a cake.

"Bastard!" Sanghyuk without waiting and without patience, immediately launch his fist on Taekwoon's face, creating a whole commotion at their study space. Especially Hakyeon, he's the biggest screamer when they start throwing punches on each other. Jaehwan and Wonshik are busy trying to get hold of Taekwoon but it seems like the guy doesn't want to lose too and Hongbin and Hakyeon try stopping Sanghyuk.

But in the end, it was Hakyeon suddenly got pushed away by a mysterious hand, God knows who between the two boxing athletes until he falls with a loud thud and scratch on his hands.

"Hakyeon!" both Sanghyuk and Taekwoon stop, looking down at the pretty boy who just fell on the ground. Both of them immediately crouch down to help the poor Hakyeon but both got rejected when Hakyeon glares at both. He accepts no help, as he's so mad with the two of them, standing up on his own and examines the injury on his palm. The timing was bad as well when a teacher comes to them and all six of them got detention class at the same time.

After Hakyeon received his treatment in the infirmary, accompanied by Jaehwan, they all walk to the detention class. "Is it still hurt? I'm sorry for Taekwoon's behavior," Jaehwan apologizes since his friend was an idiot. Looking at Jaehwan, Hakyeon sighs and smiles a little. "I apologize on Sanghyuk's behalf too. He's too childish even for that tiny cake," he says, as he wonders why Jaehwan is different from Taekwoon. Maybe he's like him and Sanghyuk since they're different too. Well, people say the opposite attracts.

"Taekwoon is like that if he likes someone. He will bother you until you give up. But he's not a bad guy," feeling the awkwardness talking about Taekwoon, Jaehwan scratch his head. It feels different when he has time alone with Hakyeon and he knows this dancer here is a nice guy like how everyone mentioned him.

"Taekwoon once saved him from bullies before. I don't say he's a bad guy. He's just annoying and irritates me. But just now, both of them are so annoying I just want to lock them up in a room together," it was a disaster when two guys who have power in beating each other started throwing fists. 

"Maybe we can do that some other time. By the way, can we be friends? Uh, I know I have a weird friend like Taekwoon but yeah it's okay if you don't want-" Hakyeon laughs seeing Jaehwan being awkwardly nice and try to be friendly with him and he accepts the handshake from him.

"Of course we can be friends. Let Taekwoon be weird alone, you can be my friend, Jaehwan," maybe detention isn't too bad, except they have to bear with the tension in the classroom for three hours. Sanghyuk is almost dead with the books piled up, Taekwoon with his nonstop chirping on Hakyeon. Well, Sanghyuk only manages to watch from afar since Hakyeon didn't let him come close at all because he said he's still mad at him. But what makes Sanghyuk mad at Hakyeon is, he allows Taekwoon to come near but not Sanghyuk.