Chapter 11

But Not For Me

The midterm test was finally over, Sanghyuk groans out in freedom at his table with Hakyeon is still packing his things to get ready to go home. It has been a tough week for both of them- or for the whole school, especially Sanghyuk when he thinks he had the toughest week ever. With his boxing tournament that will go in a month for the school festival and also for this exam, Sanghyuk slams his face on the table, facing Hakyeon. The latter is still cleaning up his stuff, not realize that Sanghyuk still had his eyes on him.

With those lashes, fluffy hair that Hakyeon took care of very well as he can, it wasn't a lie that Sanghyuk was jealous when other students trying to get closed with his best friend even if it's Jaehwan. He noticed Hakyeon has been so much on his phone, texting and laughing which the texts didn't come from Sanghyuk and he knew it was Jaehwan when he saw the name came up on the screen. Another thing that he doesn't like when Jaehwan is getting close to his best friend is because Jaehwan is Taekwoon's best friend. Speaking of the devil, Hakyeon's phone pops up a text message, drawing out a smile from the latter's face.

Well, it's not wrong- in Sanghyuk's intention to peek on what Hakyeon received and it was basically only a meme of congratulations for finishing the test today. "Hyuk-ah, look at this. It's funny, right? Jaehwan is so funny I swear to God," he peeks on the message that Hakyeon shows, and it wasn't that funny in Sanghyuk's eyes. What caught his attention right now is the honey-like laughs, the perfect teeth arrangements and the sweet smile he had on his face. The high cheekbones of Hakyeon when he omits out the pretty voice from his mouth- he distracts Sanghyuk from the phone.

"Sanghyuk? Hyuk-ah?" Hakyeon calls his best friend's name for the nth times but Sanghyuk's eyes remained glued on him as if he saw something on Hakyeon's face.

"Yah, Han Sanghyuk!" Hakyeon slams the table, breaking of Sanghyuk from his obvious day-dreaming. "O-oh, why?" it was reluctant of him, for getting caught of staring, and for appreciating his best friend's gorgeous look. Nervous, Sanghyuk swallows down his saliva when he saw Hakyeon had a weird expression in his eyes. 

"Why are you looking at me like that? Is there anything wrong?" awkward, the boxer replies with only his head shaking though he knows Hakyeon would never buy that excuse. "By the way, my sister just subscribed to a new movie. I forgot about the title but I think you'll like it too," the eyes of Hakyeon glows up as he talked about the movie WHICH Sanghyuk quickly agrees to it. Anyway, Friday night is a movie night after all. 

The two friends walkout from the class as Hakyeon finished packing and also Sanghyuk with his starings. They noticed it has been quite some time since they walk home with just two of them. Otherwise, Hongbin must walk along together. The sound of their footsteps becomes the loudest cry they ever heard and Sanghyuk also rarely becomes this quite which Hakyeon decides to break off the silence. "So?" he asked as he grins to the male next to him. Hyuk gives him an unknowing 'hmm', stopping Hakyeon from his walk to face Sanghyuk.

"Hongbin, how was he?" 

"He's okay. Why?" Hakyeon rolls his eyes in annoyance, that is not what he expected from Sanghyuk. But, he kinda expected that reaction since it was Sanghyuk. 

"Are you dumb or are you pretending to be dumb, Hyukie? Hongbin! How was he?" his voice hopes for something that can be considered as 'newsworthy' comes out from Sanghyuk's mouth but in the end, Hakyeon needs to explain the details like- is Hongbin's attitude okay or is there anything about Hongbin that Sanghyuk likes?

Hyuk chuckles when he was asked as if Hakyeon was cracking a joke before him- when all the dancer does was only asking a question. He inserts both his hands inside the pocket, focusing on Hakyeon and makes him focus on what Sanghyuk was about to say as well. The expression on Hakyeon's face was funny- when his uneven eyes all glitter, waiting for the good news. Leaning down to Hakyeon's height and close to Hakyeon's tiny face, Sanghyuk teasingly smiles before he whispers to his ears.

"It's a secret," he said, crashing all the excitement and heart-thumping moment that Hakyeon has in his mind. Instead of giving Hakyeon the answers, Sanghyuk makes his way, leaving Hakyeon is all baffled and annoyed. "Yah Han Sanghyuk!" he yells, chasing the long legs with his shorter one before jumping hard on Sanghyuk's back. 

Through their steps of going back home, Hakyeon is still trying to dig about Sanghyuk and Hongbin but he got nothing out from Sanghyuk, but the thing that they both treasured is always the occasional bickering about useless stuff. It was always Hakyeon on his back- of course, because if vice versa, Hakyeon would have himself on the hospital bed instead. 

 

♦♦♦

 

"Ah, don't you have anything else to do except arcades? I'm bored," Hakyeon mentally blocks when he saw the two-game enthusiasts walk into the arcade. It has always been Sanghyuk's favorite hang out spot and not that Hakyeon complaints but, Sanghyuk were here for almost every weekend already. Which he was also dragged along to play when he always the one losing. Except to that dancing game, he aced that. Hakyeon looks around the bright colored space, with neon lights and noisy EDM music. 

"You can play that dance one," Hakyeon looks at the direction Sanghyuk points, but he only pouts. "Tsk, don't want to. You guys can play I want to go and watch the movie," 

Actually, it was a good time for Hakyeon to leave them both, but when he said he's bored with the games stuff, he really means it. He's not a game person and prefers to watch instead of join. So, it was fun to see Sanghyuk and Hongbin enjoyed the chemistry they shared together. "Movie? We already watch last night, aren't you bored with that too?" Sanghyuk says, and Hakyeon noticed the color changes on Hongbin's face.

From the happy expression to the game, he turns pale and shocked upon the sudden statement. And Sanghyuk is too dense to notice the mood at the time. He knows, Hongbin perhaps has another idea in his mind about them watching movies together so Hakyeon immediately catches the situation and smiling to kick off the awkwardness. "Ah, Hongbin-ah please don't have any weird thoughts. It was like our friendship tradition to watch movies every weekend. Don't get us wrong," he pats on Hongbin's arm, ensuring that it's not what he has in his mind.

"Anyway, you guys can have fun. I'll better check out what's good for me. Plus, I don't really like games," he walks backward as he waves his hands to the two game addicts.  

Walking unknowingly in the huge shopping complex, Hakyeon set his eyes on the shops and the food stalls too. The movie was just an excuse to get away from the game and he knew there are no good movies in the theatre so he decided to walk around. It has been a long time since he has this time too so, Hakyeon feels like he should appreciate it while it lasts. From a clothing store to a shoe store- and then to a sports attire store. Hakyeon makes his own pace, trying to see if he can buy anything from the shop.

And his eyes quickly locked on a gorgeous black pair of sneakers, looking there as if he was drawing him closer. Hakyeon's attention on the shoes attracted the salesman and he approached him. "Hi, how can I help you, sir?" he asked, while Hakyeon is still having his eyes on the gorgeous black one. Thinking of how good this look on him when he uses to practice his dance, or the velvet black shoes will enhance his steps on the judges when he's on a dance competition. Hakyeon has all thoughts on him until he feels someone stands up so close next to him.

"It looks good on you," the voice was familiar- too familiar he could say when he almost cursed when he saw Taekwoon's face right behind him when he turns around. 

He's everywhere! Hakyeon holds his chest, as he quietly curses on the smudgy face in front of him. "That shoes look pretty on you," he says, touching the perfect black velvet sneakers. Taekwoon turns the shoes behind and saw the price. "Not that expensive either. What is yo- hey!" Taekwoon puts the shoes back when he saw Hakyeon is running away. Again.

"Hey, where are you going?" Taekwoon catches his quicker than he thoughts, screw them long legs and he doesn't pants either. Screw them energy. Hakyeon sighs, looking at Taekwoon's tall silhouette and the pale face. Still, Taekwoon doesn't lose the smile. "Anywhere as long as I don't have to see you. Now move," walks to the right, Taekwoon proudly stands in front of him. So does, when Hakyeon moves to the left until he frustrated and digging glares to the taller.

Huffing his breath, Hakyeon tries to calm himself down before he looks up again and saw Taekwoon. "Okay, look Taekwoon. I have no time to joke around with you. Tell me what you want," 

This time, Hakyeon keeps his voice and emotion in control as he doesn't want to stay longer alone with the Jung Taekwoon. Jaehwan said Taekwoon likes him, but does Taekwoon like him or he just wanted to annoy Hakyeon because he said Hakyeon is prettier when he mad.

Oh, wait!

"Don't say stuff like you like me or anything because I'm not buying that. Go confess to someone else," Hakyeon's reaction makes Taekwoon chuckle again because that is not what he wanted to say. Instead of replying to Hakyeon, he digs in his pocket and takes out his wallet before he shows Hakyeon two pieces of paper on his face. It was a ticket to a ballet performance by Hakyeon's favorite dancer and he also has been eyeing on the ticket but nobody knows- not even Sanghyuk. The eyes of annoyance dissolve and a puppy Yeon appeared when he saw the ticket.

".....why are you showing me this?" even he still has the attitude tone of voice, Taekwoon knows Hakyeon has finally bitten the bait. "I know you wanted to watch this, I saw the fliers in your bag before at the dance room. So, what do you say?" seeing Hakyeon clicking his tongue, it was the time that Hakyeon begins to think. The tickets are expensive and Taekwoon even got the front row. 

"What if I don't want to go?"

"Oh, you HAVE to go,"

"Come on Hakyeon, I don't bite. It's just a show, and- and I'll behave. I promise!" he even rises his right hand up, promising Hakyeon that he won't be annoying and will act normal and will do anything that Hakyeon likes if he wants to go.

Hakyeon glances up at the sincere Taekwoon with his ballet tickets. "What if I go? What will I owe you? It's expensive as hell man," he stresses the word expensive but Taekwoon only jolts his shoulder up. 

"You won't owe me anything, I promise. Just, go out with me. Please?" again, Taekwoon mouths the word please, pleading hard to Hakyeon until he knows the man can no longer say no.

"Okay, but make sure you do what you promised. No backing out or I will kick your ," Hakyeon pauses, giving Taekwoon a chance to celebrate on his own. "But how do you know I'm here?" he continues and turns his head when Taekwoon points out to his behind. Exposing Jaehwan and Wonshik currently having their own date at a chocolate store. Then Hakyeon remembers that he told Jaehwan he's going out to play arcades with Sanghyuk.

Now, someone needs a lesson.