KingdomAU

WolfAU & KingdomAU Drabbles!

Mark's 21st Birthday



Mark was going through the days like a robot, in the aftermath of Hoseok's sudden death. A week before his birthday Hoseok, or Hobi as Mark had affectionately called him, was killed by his own father. Because Mark was in the queen's guard.

"Mark," said Taeyong as Mark walked down the streets of the capitol with his hands in his pockets. "What do you want to do for your birthday?" He asked. "I don't know," said Mark, sounding broken. "We don't have to celebrate it," he said. "It's okay," said Taeyong. "We can celebrate it with just Taeil and I," he said.

"No," said Mark. "We should celebrate it with the others," he said. "But I want an hour at Hobi's grave site," he said. "Alone?" Asked Taeyong. "No, I want someone to be there," said Mark. "Who?" Asked Taeyong. "Jeonghan," said Mark. "Okay, we can do that," said Taeyong. "But someone is going with you," he said. "Until the cemetery gates," he added. Mark nodded again. "I can do that yeah," he said. "But I choose who goes with me," he said. "That's fine," said Taeyong. "Come on, we'll get dinner for the others okay?" He asked. Mark nodded and followed after Taeyong towards the market district.

 

~



Mark ended up taking Doyoung with him, and they along with Mark's dog Jeonghan headed to the cemetery to pay respects to the past members of the guards and go to Hoseok's gravesite.

"Why take me along?" Asked Doyoung, out of curiosity. "I think he'd appreciate it," said Mark. "You did spend most of your time with him," he added. Doyoung hummed, nodding.

When they got there Mark and Doyoung went to the plaque that held the names of all the members of the guard, dropping flowers in front of the plaque and bowing their heads in respect before Mark headed over to Hoseok's grave with Jeonghan. Doyoung stayed by the plaque, knowing Mark was okay with it. He needed to stay a few more minutes anyway, wanting to see what Mark would do.

Mark was aware of Doyoung still being near the plaque, but didn't do anything. He had wanted someone's presence in the cemetery with him, and was completely fine with it. When he got to the gravesite Mark dropped the other flowers down, kneeling in front of the stone with Jeonghan sitting beside him.

"It's my birthday you know?" Asked Mark as he brushed his fingers over Hoseok's name. "I know, I wanted you to be there for it but life is never fair for us guard members," he said, sighing as he shook his head. "I asked for one thing, and that was to spend an hour here so I guess we can sit and talk," he said, sitting down in front of the gravestone. Mark spent the next hour talking about anything and everything, whether it be the status of his father's conviction of Hoseok's murder, his life growing up, whatever came to mind. Doyoung was listening from his spot next to the plaque, shaking his head in amusement at the funny things Mark had said.

"You'd be proud of him I think," said Doyoung as he looked at Ren's name on the plaque. "He's staying strong, for you," he said, watching as his orb summoned by itself. "Is it time already? We were getting to the good part," he whined, sighing and shaking his head. "Yes, everyone has everything ready," came Chen's voice. "Fine," said Doyoung as he shook his head again. "Mark! It's time to go!" He called.

"-And you should've seen what Jaehyun had done when he tried to..." Said Mark when he heard Doyoung call out to him. "Oh," he said, sounding slightly disappointed. "Okay," he called, getting up. "We'll continue this later then," he said. "Come on Jeonghan," he said, walking over to Doyoung.

Doyoung almost missed seeing Hoseok's spirit appearing, laughing at the funny stories Mark had shared. When Doyoung made eye contact with Hoseok, Hoseok gave him a thumbs up before fading away. Doyoung blinked once. Twice. Before shaking his head and putting his hands in his pockets. "Ready?" He asked. "Yeah," said Mark. Jeonghan barked. Doyoung smiled. "Let's go enjoy the rest of the day then," he said, leaving the cemetery. Mark and Jeonghan followed after him.

"Happy birthday!" Shouted everyone when Mark entered the apartment he shared with Taeil and Taeyong. Mark laughs, a genuine smile on his face for the first time in a week as Doyoung led him over to the couch. It wasn't much of a party, but that was okay for Mark. He never really liked big parties, but spending it with the members of the guard and the rest of the ragtag bunch that was the ex-rebels in Bangtan was enough for him.

"Happy birthday kid," said Jin as he handed Mark his present. "I'm not a kid anymore," whined Mark as he pouted. "But thank you," he added, taking the box and opening it. Mark held up the necklace, looking in surprise as he looked at Jin then at the others.

"Hoseok said he wanted to give you something, but he could never figure out what," explained Namjoon as he scooted forward. "I think he would've wanted you to have his most prized possession, that necklace," he said. "I-I," said Mark, who was at loss for words.

"Ah," said Doyoung as he realized something. "That's why he appeared before we left," he said. "He appeared?" Asked Mark as he looked at Doyoung. Doyoung nodded. "He gave me a thumbs up before disappearing again but," he said, shrugging. "Want some help putting on the necklace?" He asked. Mark nodded, handing the necklace to Doyoung. Doyoung undid the clasp before putting the necklace around Mark's neck and refastening the necklace. "There you go," he said.

The rest of the party flew by quickly, with Jaehyun deciding to return home first with Jin, Taehyung and Jungkook. They said their goodbyes and left, taking home some left over food for tomorrow. Doyoung was next, going home by himself since Sehun and Baekhyun didn't go with him to the party this time, but he left with food for them.

Namjoon, Jimin and Yoongi were left to relax in the livingroom with Mark, Taeyong and Taeil as it was silent for the first time in a few hours. "It was a good day today," Mark said suddenly. "Yes, it was," said Taeyong as he nodded in agreement. "Well, let's clean up and we can play monopoly before bed," said Taeil as he got up and went to clean. The others scrambled to clean up too, wanting to get this game of monopoly going.

"Aw come on!" Said Namjoon as he went bankrupt. "Sorry," Mark said with a snicker as Jimin went next. "Someone's out," Taeyong said, laughing some as he shook his head. "Damn it," said Jimin as he had to pay Mark for landing on one of his properties. "You see why I didn't want to play against the birthday boy now?" Asked Yoongi and Taeil as they watched the game.

They ended their night in laughter as Mark ended up winning, and Taeyong had to stop Jimin from flipping the coffee table in rage. Everyone cleaned up the game before going to their respective rooms to get some much needed sleep.