Chapter 22

The Runaways
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Important Author's Note at the end! Please read :)

 

 

When Baekhyun returned to the safe house, he noticed that all the lights were turned off.

 

He scanned his fingerprint — Hayan had added all three of their prints to the database — and entered the pin code before walking into the clearly empty house.

 

He headed towards the refrigerator and pulled out a cold bottle of water. A note stuck to the door of the fridge with a magnet caught his eye.

 

‘Out on a date, be back soon — Hyo & Hyun’

 

Baekhyun chuckled.

 

He opened the fridge door and placed the bottle of water back in. Instead he grabbed the large tub of chocolate chip cookie dough ice-cream and headed to the living room.

 

He the TV and flipped to a sports channel, kicking his feet up onto the coffee table. The rerun from that weekend’s football match was playing and Baekhyun was quickly engrossed into the game.

 

He shoveled ice-cream into his mouth in a rather undignified manner, cheering whenever the team he was supporting scored a goal.

 

During a particularly intense moment in the match, Baekhyun flung his arm up passionately and ended up causing the tub of half melted ice-cream to fall onto the floor.

 

“,” Baekhyun cursed, immediately jumping to his feet. He grabbed the tissue box off the dining table and started cleaning up the mess.

 

“Damn it,” he muttered when the floor remained sticky even though he had wiped off all the melted ice-cream.

 

Grumbling all the while, Baekhyun threw the ice-cream carton and used tissues into the trash. He grabbed a mop from the service closet beside the guest bathroom.

 

He suddenly stopped in his tracks.

 

His eyes darted to the room at the end of the hallway. The one with the closed door.

 

Baekhyun couldn't recall anyone ever stepping into that room. He didn’t even know what was behind the doors. Hayan had conveniently skipped that room during the house tour, and the other three had been too fascinated by the Japanese-style automated toilets and the grand staircase to notice.

 

Baekhyun quickly mopped up the sticky floor and returned the mop to the closet. Then he excitedly made his way to the mystery door.

 

He felt a bit like a kid on an adventure, pretending to be a detective.

 

He pressed his ear against the door. It was quiet on the other side.

 

He twisted the door knob and was very surprised when it gave way and the door creaked open.

 

Baekhyun could tell no one had been in there because the furniture still had white sheets draped over it.

 

Baekhyun walked in and looked around the room, curiously. It was a very posh looking study.

 

There were several frames hanging on the walls, all certificates of honor and skill addressed to Hayan’s father. Baekhyun gathered that he used to be a heart surgeon, and quite a famous one at that. There were several newspaper clippings of him giving speeches at fund raisers, galas and even at universities.

 

‘That explains why Hayan has so much money of her own,’ Baekhyun mused, recalling the large sum of money she had withdrawn from her personal account — the one in no relation to Kris’s.

 

He pulled one sheet off to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter