Chapter 10

The Runaways
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun had trouble sleeping that night. He tossed and turned until the early hours of the morning. When he finally succumbed to sleep, it was nearly 5AM.

 

Which was why, when Hayan woke him up and said they were ready to go get breakfast at 7AM, he was in a very grouchy mood.

 

But they soon found themselves squished together in a booth at a local diner.

 

Krystal looked at Baekhyun with concern. His eyes were bloodshot and his hair was a mess.

 

“Are you okay?” she asked him. “Did you not sleep well?”

 

Beside him, Baekhyun felt Kai tense. Baekhyun realized he hadn’t told anyone about Kai’s situation and wondered whether the blonde would ever willingly come clean about it.

 

‘It’s not my place to tell,’ Baekhyun finally determined. ‘But if his condition starts causing trouble for us, I’ll tell them.’

 

“Must’ve been because I’m not used to the place,” he said aloud instead.

 

Kai let out a ragged breath.

 

“We should try and get out of Seoul,” Hayan piped up abruptly. “The Blue Dragons are spread out everywhere but they’re definitely the strongest in number here. It’ll be hard to leave the country since we have no documentation or IDs, but we’ll be safer if we’re far from this city.”

 

Baekhyun nodded in agreement. “We can leave early tomorrow.”

 

“But where do we go?” Krystal frowned.

 

Hayan spread out a paper map on the table and tapped a particular spot on it: Gokseong. “Here. There’s a small holiday villa here that my family owns. Kris doesn’t know about it and it’s in a good enough location so that we won’t run into the police or mafia members. We can stay there for at least a few weeks. Maybe even months, if we’re careful.”

 

Baekhyun eyed the map critically. “It’s quite far. Even if we take turns driving, it’ll be exhausting. We’ll have to spend a night in a motel somewhere along the route.”

 

“I have a… friend,” Kai spoke up. He’d been relatively quiet since the morning so Baekhyun was surprised when he heard him speak. “He lives in Seongnam, about two hours from Seoul. I’m sure he won’t mind if we spend the night at his place.”

 

Hayan nodded. “Okay, first thing tomorrow morning then.”

 

The sombre environment was broken by the waitress who placed stacks of fluffy pancakes and delicious omelettes on the table.

 

The four forgot about the grave topic they’d been discussing just minutes earlier, and focused on devouring their breakfast instead.

 

 

 

“You can’t be serious,” Baekhyun blurted out.

 

Kai looked at him innocently.

 

“Are you seriously going to wear that to the party?”

 

Baekhyun appraised the cow pattern jacket and bucket hat Kai had donned.

 

The blonde looked partly offended. “What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?”

 

Baekhyun bit his tongue to stop himself from going on a rant. Instead, he looked at his own reflection in the mirror. He was wearing the grey slacks he had worn to Club Exotic but the blue striped shirt and black leather jacket he had picked up at the mall.

 

Having only three sets of clothes made picking outfits very easy.

 

“Are the girls ready yet?” Kai asked, distractedly shoving his wallet and a pack of cigarettes into his jacket pocket.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter