02 - Serah

Little Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Upon entering Serah, they were all directed towards the city hall were Hamin made his greetings and proceeded with his business talk with the officials. Soohyun patiently waited outside with the company of some maids and guards. When it almost felt like forever since Hamin walked inside the room, he then walked out with a sly smirk on his face. It meant nothing good, Soohyun knew that for a fact, and the mere thought of helping him achieve whatever he wants made her want to puke out of disgust. Hamin was a cunning and unpredictable man. He’d do whatever it takes to achieve his goal— even if it means he has to walk the dirty way in.

“Stay in front but not too near,” Hamin said as they made their way inside the arena, where the friendly match was supposed to happen.

There were already a lot of people seated. Most of them were members of the higher class society— ranging from doctors to powerful mages and all kinds— they were all there to witness the match between Hamin and the best swordsman of Serah. Soohyun unwillingly took a seat in front. She took note of what Hamin said and sat at the farthest end to the right because he was stationed at the left side of the arena.

Soohyun took a minute to look at her surroundings. The arena wasn’t that big compared to the ones they have at Eristonia. It was relatively smaller but was undeniably kept cleaner than theirs. Eristonia’s arenas reek of blood and violence. Fighters and swordsmen were ruthless, taking every chance they would get to slay the enemy in front of them. It wasn’t a good sight to begin with and Soohyun hated that place more than anything. It was the only place in Eristonia that doesn’t seem to appeal to her in any way.

There was a loud cheer in the crowd when Hamin and the swordsman from Serah came out to the ring. There were cheers for Hamin so as the swordsman coming from his fellowmen. Soohyun tried to swallow the lump beginning to form in . This is it. I’m about to help him again. She shut her eyes at the thought of it. She didn’t want to do it. She hated doing it for her brother— for everyone in their family. She hated being used by them and the mere fact that she can’t do anything about it was something she knew despised about herself..

Right there and then, she was instantly reminded of what everyone kept telling about her. She was just a tool. She had no power she could call her own. Yes, she was born as a gifted, people who were granted powers upon birth, but there was nothing she could ever call her own. Her siblings can control elements such as earth, air, water, and fire. Hamin had a great strength he used to his advantage at all times and some of them were even gifted with the power to cast powerful spells. Her? She had none of those. Soohyun can’t control nor create something out of nowhere. The only thing she could do was to amplify a person’s power once they have sealed a bond. That person’s power can double up whenever she’s near. That’s why she was always brought along with her siblings affairs to neighboring cities. It was to help them claim the spot they always wanted— the top.

She was never given a training for using her power. Her siblings would snicker behind her back and whisper things such as being useless for having no real power. Soohyun was always been introduced as the only child of the royal family that wasn’t a gifted. No one was to say what her powers were outside the palace. It was strictly forbidden. With that, she stayed most of the times at her room, when she was not needed by anyone. She was only allowed to come out whenever she was called upon. There were times when she would sneak out just to go to the palace’s library because it’s the only place second to her room that brings her comfort. It was suffocating to be with them and to live with them but they were family and she was taught from the very beginning that staying loyal to the family is the most important thing. It comes first over everything else that’s why she never said a word of complain no matter how much she hated it.

Soohyun came back to her senses when she felt a pang inside her. That happens whenever someone who she has made bond with uses their power. She can’t control how much can she amplify. It all depends on how the person’s going to use her and their own power. Hamin started throwing attacks aggressively. Each hit from his sword that came contact with his opponent tormented Soohyun in many ways more than one.. She can feel him using more strength than he normally uses. Was he trying to kill his opponent? This was supposed to be a friendly match and not a real one. Soohyun’s eyes widened as she watched the fight happening right before her eyes. Hamin was lunging forward as fast he could and the swordsman didn’t even had the time to process what was happening because in a matter of seconds, Hamin’s sword was dangerously ripping his armor into pieces. Soohyun saw and felt how real Hamin wanted this fight to be. No, he’s going to kill him if he continues this. She instinctively thought as she saw the swordsman flying towards the opposite end of the arena. He needs to stop.

Everyone seemed to be enjoy what was happening. They were all cheering and smiles were painted on their faces, as if seeing someone getting beaten to pulp was something amusing. Hamin dragged the swordsman to the middle of the arena. The swordsman looked like he can’t even lift himself up. He was badly injured from the attacks he received. Those weren’t even supposed to be real but Hamin was enjoying every single one of it and decided that it would be more entertaining if he made this fight a real fight. When both of them were at the center of the arena, Hamin briefly looked at the swordsman before lifting his sword up. He was about to lunge the sword to the man’s chest when a loud noise was heard all over the arena.

Soohyun looked up and saw that it was the trumpet coming from the city officials. They immediately signaled and called the fight as done, declaring Hamin as the winner. Hamin didn’t look satisfied, knowing that he wasn’t able to kill his opponent. He lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter