17 - Azmar and Maps

Little Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soohyun wasn’t sure whether to open the door at the moment or just pretend that she was still sleeping because it was Baekhyun behind it and asking for her presence. She heard a few more knocks from him until she finally stood up and brought herself to the door. Soohyun carefully opened the door and saw Baekhyun standing just in front of it. 

“I need to talk to you for a while. Can I come in?” Baekhyun asked. Soohyun nodded and opened the door wide as she motioned for him to go in. Baekhyun sat at one of the chairs beside her desk and waited for her to do the same. When Soohyun was finally seated, Baekhyun started to speak. 

“We’ll be going to Azmar in a few days, it’ll probably take around 3 days before we get there. I need to meet with someone to help confirm something with the map and then we’ll proceed on finding the crystals. I need you to come with us on land so prepare yourself,” Baekhyun said. He looked at Soohyun and then on her hands and noticed she wasn’t wearing the ring. “You’re not wearing it. Still being stubborn with the ‘help’ thing?” he asked, raising a brow as he looked back at her. 

Soohyun unintentionally hid her hand as she looked away and tried to find an excuse for not wearing it. She was silent for a few moments until she finally realized she had nothing to say at all. She heaved a sigh before looking back at Baekhyun who was silently anticipating for her answer. 

“Why do you need me to come with you on Azmar?” Soohyun asked as she tried to change the topic. She knew that trying to argue with Baekhyun about the ring would just leave her agreeing with him in the end. He’s just that good with his words and she wanted to stay grounded with her decision. She wanted to be of help and she could only do that by lending her power. 

Baekhyun gave a light chuckle as he relaxed himself on the chair. “I see you trying to change the topic but I’ll answer your question first and then we’ll deal with the ring after,” he said, crossing his arms over his chest. Soohyun unintentionally gulped after hearing his words. He sounded firm and determined, something she hoped she wouldn’t hear from him. “I figured you’d want to know where and how would we be getting the crystals. The person I’m meeting at Azmar could help us confirm the exact locations of the crystals as Kyungsoo’s still unsure of it. I need to be precise and exact because we’re running out of time. Did that answer your question, princess?” 

Soohyun nodded and looked away. She heard Baekhyun heave a sigh before he started speaking once again. “You’re not going to be useless, if that’s what you’re thinking when you wear that ring,” he said. 

Soohyun’s heart raced at his words. His words hit that exact vulnerable spot on her heart. How? Was she too obvious? Did she let her emotions get past into her without her realizing it, that he had undeniably seen it? It hurt, it stung, and it crippled the rest of the standing walls inside her. She could already feel something building up on . Soohyun cleared it and still kept her gaze away from Baekhyun’s. Silence enveloped the both of them for a while and Soohyun was sure that tears were about to fall from her eyes until she heard Baekhyun spoke. 

“I use my power most of the time, you see,” Baekhyun started and this time, Soohyun dared to look back at him. He had his gaze fixated on her and Soohyun had the sudden urge to look away because it was too intense for her to handle but then it was also too strong that she couldn’t help but stare back. “Either when I’m on the helm and steering the ship or just being out here on the sea. I’d take up most of your magic and I don’t want that, to be honest. We could help each other without sacrificing our lives.” 

Soohyun’s breath hitched after hearing his words. Was this what everybody calls compassion? Consideration? Care? Was this supposed to make her feel thousands of emotions that she could swear could make her burst into tears right now? Never has anybody in the palace showed some consideration when it comes to using her—her power. Never has anybody tried to ask if she was fine after using her power even though it was obvious at times that it took a toll on her body. Never has anybody sounded so honest in not wanting to use her for their own good yet Baekhyun—Baekhyun’s words made such an impact on her. He sounded genuine. Soohyun could already feel her heart wrenching the more she gave it a thought, and the more his words lingered on her mind. 

“Without my power, I’d just be a normal person boarded on your ship. I have no special skills that could help you besides the translations I make but then you have Jongdae who’s obviously a lot more fluent than I am,” Soohyun said as she managed to gather her voice to speak up her mind. She looked up and stared back at Baekhyun. “I wonder why’re you still keeping me here when you could’ve thrown me out the moment you got Jongdae back.” 

Baekhyun stared back for a few seconds until his lips broke into a small smile. Soohyun had to hold her breath for a while as she saw that smile once again. “You sure doubt a lot, princess. You can trust my words. When I say I’d help you, I’d do it. Now,” he trailed off his words as he relaxed himself. “Will you wear the ring?” 

Soohyun blinked as she was suddenly reminded of the ring. She didn’t said anything and after a few minutes she heard Baekhyun stood up from his seat. He walked to her door and when he was just about to leave, he said something. 

“I’ll see you the morning before we go to Azmar. Have some rest and prepare yourself until then,” he said. And with that, he left the cabin. 

~~~

Soohyun woke up with a mind full of endless thoughts. She glanced at desk and saw the ring seating atop of the book. Baekhyun’s words that day suddenly lingered on her mind. It reminded her of how he sounded so gen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter