04 - Doubts

Little Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soohyun didn’t bother to bring anything with her besides the book and her notes. That’s the only thing she needed. After convincing Bora to help her get out the palace, they immediately acted out the plan they had quickly made back at her room.

It sounded so easy—Bora stopping the time and Soohyun quickly getting out of the palace before time comes back— but standing behind the palace gates right now made it seem harder than what they have thought it would be. There were tons of guards guarding the main gate. It was almost impossible to make it this far because every place in the palace was highly guarded and Bora had just used her power more than she had usually does. It exhausted her, to the point of almost passing out but Bora stayed with Soohyun and kept her promise that she will help her get out.

“Are you okay? We can rest for a bit if you want,” Soohyun worriedly asked as she looked at Bora’s pale complexion over the moonlight. It was dark by the time they had reached the main gate of the palace but that didn’t make anything easier.

“I’m fine. Don’t worry. The more we stall, the more they will tighten the security. It’s almost midnight and there’ll be more guards at that time,” Bora breathed out. Soohyun looked over her friend worriedly but Bora only returned a smile and a grip on her hand as she stood up.

“Let’s go.”

Bora concentrated and for a moment it felt like the time has stopped once again. One thing Soohyun could actually do is that she can freely move in a frozen time frame without being tapped by the person doing it. Somehow, she wasn’t affected by the changes in time. Soohyun breathed out as she looked at her surroundings, everything was frozen—the guards, everything— and it was eerily quiet which made both of them even more nervous. Bora tugged Soohyun’s clothes for a moment and looked at her.

“I don’t know how long I can stop this one but make it fast. It’s not that far. Run as fast you can. I’ll stay behind.”

“You’re not coming with me?” Soohyun asked, eyes widening at the sudden realization. All along, she thought she had also convinced her to come along with her, to this journey, but it seems like Bora wasn’t planning to come with her in the first place.

Bora shook her head vigorously. “No. I’ll stay behind. I can’t leave, you know that,” Bora dropped on her knees after saying those. She was catching her breath as she tried to look at Soohyun once again.

“Leave,” she weakly said. Soohyun stood still on her place, not moving an inch. “Leave!” her breath hitched. “Now! I don’t know if I can hold this much longer!” Bora yelled as she tried to push Soohyun with all her strength.

Soohyun looked back. She knew time was running out and the more she kept doubting if she should really leave or not, the more Bora was suffering. With one last look, Soohyun muttered an apology before making a run towards the main gate. She ran as fast as she could, her legs almost giving up on her. Her heart felt like it was coming out of her chest with all the pounding it does. Her mind was blank as she kept running and all she could feel were her legs running as fast as it could until she reached the gates.

Panting, Soohyun saw the guards frozen at their places, their swords hanging on the side of their waists, ready to be pulled out at the sight of anyone. The thought of them gaining their consciousness any moment from now, and the fact that they could instantly kill her, drove her adrenaline mad that she miraculously opened the gates after only one try. Soohyun made a run and before a guard could even get a glimpse of her, she felt the time running back once again. What once looked like a frozen paradise now turned into a moving and living one. Soohyun was thankful that it turned back right at the moment, right after she had hidden at a tree, because if that happened a little earlier, she knew one of the guards would’ve possibly caught her. Then that would be the end of everything.

Soohyun carefully peeked behind the tree. She saw the guards acting normally, as if the time hasn’t been frozen until now. Soohyun immediately thought back of Bora and she could only wish for her safety.

“Bora, I’m getting that treasure and I will come back with it in my hands.”

~~~

Soohyun had found herself walking along the streets of Eristonia. Midnight was already approaching and she could surely feel the cold it brought along with it. Her clothing didn’t made her any warmer, it was quite thin because it’s what she usually wore inside the palace since she only stayed at her room. Soohyun mentally blamed herself for not thinking of bringing at least a coat, knowing that she will be out here at night. With a sigh, she continued walking down the road.

Eristonia at night felt and looked a lot different than how it was during morning. The colorful houses looked almost dull by the lack of lights illuminating it. It was also quiet, almost no one was on the street. Soohyun felt a chill run down her spine but decided to ignore it. She reminded herself of what she was supposed to do— find a seer.

Before leaving the palace, Bora has mentioned someone—a seer she says, someone who could foresee the future—that she knew she could help Soohyun with what she needs. Soohyun absolutely had no idea when and where to find a pirate. They mostly stay at sea and they were only seen at land because they were gathering supplies. No one exactly knew when and where would they be going and if Soohyun wanted to find one, she needed a seer to help her.

The more Soohyun walked closer to where the seer was, the more she can feel her heart pounding against her chest. This is happening too fast—too fast for her to think that this is actually happening and that it’s real. Everything happened in a blink of an eye; the towers, the King, the realization of it all and her escaping the palace. Was she even sure of what she’s doing? Was this even the right thing? The treasure she was talking about, there was no certainty that it’s real. It could be and it also couldn’t be. The pirates—anyone would’ve laughed at her if they heard that she’s actually planning to hand herself to the hands of one. Heck, she isn’t even sure if they’d let her live once they saw her and hear her story. Everything she was planning to do was absolutely insane. But what if I’m right? And the King’s really going to kill everyone? What if the treasure’s true? What if I can really get help from a pirate?

There were so many thoughts running on her mind that she didn’t noticed she was already standing in front of where the seer was supposed to be. The wind was blowing quite harshly and all Soohyun could do was to warm herself by running her palms continuously against her arms. The thoughts of hesitation suddenly came back and she found herself doubting for the hundredth time if this was the right decision. She stopped

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter