18 - One

Little Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After that encounter with Jaehyun at his shop, the three of them walked down a few streets until they stopped in front of a small cafè. Baekhyun was silent the whole time they were walking and it was quite noticeable that he was tensed and alert of his surroundings. On the other hand, Kyungsoo looked relaxed, just as he was a while ago. Baekhyun took a seat the moment they entered the cafè, his eyebrows were furrowed and he kept glancing on his sides. 

“What’s wrong?” Kyungsoo asked, placing his bag at another seat while Soohyun sat across the two of them. A tall guy went to their table and offered a menu for them to choose at. 

“There’s something wrong. I can’t exactly tell what it is but I don’t feel good about it,” Baekhyun said. 

“Is this about Jaehyun?” Kyungsoo asked as he skimmed through the menu for something to order. 

To be honest, Soohyun also felt the same as Baekhyun ever since they stepped foot at Azmar. It wasn’t just the uneasy feeling she had because of how the whole place looks like but there was something more than that. She thought she might be overthinking things again but if Baekhyun also feels it, then there might be really something out there. 

“I don’t feel anything. It’s just the normal Azmar—gloomy, dull and lifeless. If you’re worrying over Jaehyun, I’m pretty sure he’d at least take a look at the maps. Those aren’t normal maps, that I can tell,” Kyungsoo said. He raised his hand as he called for the guy a while ago who gave the menu to them. “Have you chosen what to eat?” he asked as he looked back at Soohyun who was busy thinking why was she feeling something bad. 

Soohyun shook her head. “I don’t know what’s good in here. I think I’d just have the same thing as yours,” she said. Without saying anything, Kyungsoo agreed with what she said and told the guy their orders. When he turned to ask Baekhyun what his order is, he absentmindedly answered, saying he’d also eat the same one he’d order. 

After the guy left, their table went completely silent. Baekhyun was too busy surveying his surroundings, looking for something that could suffice what that bad feeling inside him was. Kyungsoo was just silent as he patiently waited for their food to come. Soohyun was left with no choice but to face the thoughts she had in her mind. Though she also doesn’t feel good being at Azmar, the thoughts running on her mind were something she couldn’t ignore at the moment. After finding the courage to break the deafening silence between the three of them, Soohyun finally spoke. 

“Why did Jaehyun had that kind of reaction when you mentioned the maps?” Soohyun asked. Her question might’ve been something that brought Baekhyun back to his senses as he looked at her direction. His tensed shoulders seemed to have relaxed a bit as he heaved a sigh, running a hand on his hair before speaking up. 

“He was a cartographer, just like Kyungsoo, and he was absolutely good at it. I did a lot of business with him before, some of it were dangerous ones that I once saved his life from bandits. He was eternally grateful for it that’s why he makes sure he can offer any help he could whenever we ask for it but then there was this time when handling maps cost him his entire family,” Baekhyun said. 

Soohyun’s stopped breathing for a second after hearing Baekhyun’s words. It suddenly hit her—how dangerous their world is. This ‘pirate’ thing isn’t just something they do purely for fun and amusement, it costs lives of people, may it be someone they don’t know at all or someone they call their family. Soohyun knew in the back of her mind that everything these pirates do, and also the people that works for them, are dangerous but she’d always had this fantasy that they are living freely and doing whatever they want. It wasn’t just the whole picture of it. 

Soohyun snapped back to reality as she heard Baekhyun heave another sigh. “After that, he didn’t dare to touch any map for a long time. He’d still help with anything because besides being an excellent cartographer, he also has a lot of connections everywhere. He still helps us whenever we need to get something from a certain person.” 

“Then why did you asked for his help if you knew he wouldn’t dare touch the maps?” Soohyun asked. 

“I was hoping he could help us this time. Besides, he’s the only one I can trust with those maps along with Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun said. He seemed a lot more relaxed than he was a while ago but the worry in his eyes were still there. He leaned back on his seat as he looked around, waiting for their orders to come so they could already eat. 

After a few more minutes, the tall guy came back with their foods. Soohyun was just about to start with hers but Baekhyun spoke before she could even start to eat. 

“I’m sorry about a while ago. This isn’t exactly the kind of atmosphere I’d want us to eat at but it’s better to stay alert at all times,” he said. “But I can guarantee you their food is great,” he then gave a small smile as he motioned Soohyun to have a taste of her food. 

Soohyun wanted to say that he didn’t have to apologize for his actions a while ago but it seemed like it’ll be too much of a conversation she could handle with him. She was already feeling an emotion she couldn’t find a name for after hearing his apology. It wasn’t necessary, really, and she wasn’t even asking for it, but it felt nice that he had thought of her feelings when he didn’t even had to. 

Soon after, the three of them finished their meals in no time. The food must’ve brought something good to Baekhyun and Kyungsoo because they both look happy and satisfied after eating. Soohyun was also the same. Baekhyun wasn’t lying when he said that this place’s food was great. She felt full and that’s all she needed to ease her worrisome mind even just for a while. 

They started walking back to Jaehyun’s shop and Soohyun noticed Baekhyun was now a lot more relaxed than tensed as he was a while ago, though he still was tryin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter