Chapter 9

Wrong Number

The time has come for Joohyun to visit her parents.   Joohyun and Seungwan packed enough clothes for one week since they wanted to try and stay for New Year’s Day as well.  The two girls had just boarded the train to Daegu, and while Joohyun was a complete nervous wreck, Seungwan appeared to be calm, cool and collected.

 

“Joohyun, it’s going to be fine.” Seungwan said reassuringly as she wrapped an arm around the older girl.  

 

“They are for sure going to ask questions about my love life, and I don’t know if I should lie about it or-“

 

“Just deal with it when the problem arises.  You won’t enjoy yourself if you’re worrying about a question that might never come.”

 

Seungwan did have a point.  “Alright, I’ll try and relax.  I’ll just forget about all that and look forward to seeing my parents.”

 

Seungwan gave Joohyun a thumbs up and a bright smile “That’s the spirit!”

 

The rest of the ride was uneventful due to Joohyun falling asleep on Seungwan’s shoulder.  As the older girl was sleeping, Seungwan was sure to take lots of pictures of the outside scenery and of her pretty girlfriend.  When they arrived Seungwan gently shook Joohyun awake, then carried their things off the train.

 

“My house is relatively close to here, so we can just walk.”  Joohyun pointed in the direction of her house, then turned to see Seungwan carrying both of their suitcases.  “You don’t have to carry mine Seungwan, I can hold it just fine.”

 

Seungwan flashed a charming smile “I have to pamper my girl before we have to pretend like we’re not dating.”

 

Joohyun lightly blushed at what Seungwan said “Fine, but you better pamper me in our room too.”

 

Seungwan laughed as she followed her girlfriend to the house they would be staying at.  It was decent sized and looked nice, but it didn’t really stand out amongst the other houses in the neighborhood.  When the reached the porch Joohyun quickly knocked on the front door, all nervousness gone and replaced with excitement.

 

The door quickly opened and revealed a middle aged women that looked somewhat similar to Joohyun.  “Joohyun-ah!  My baby looks so old!”

 

Joohyun laughed as she embraced her mother.  “I haven’t even changed that much since I last saw you!”

 

The two of them shared another laugh as Seungwan watched her girlfriend fondly.  She was glad the she was enjoying herself.

 

“And who is this?”  Joohyun’s mother directed her attention to Seungwan.

 

“Oh!” Joohyun started “I almost forgot!  This is my friend from Seoul.”

 

Seungwan dropped the bags and smiled “Nice to meet you ma’am, I’m Son Seungwan.” Seungwan gave a small bow to Joohyun’s mother, hoping she made a good first impression.

 

“Well aren’t you well mannered.  Your name is quite... interesting for a girl.”

 

Seungwan smiled, not quite sure how she should respond to the comment.  “Yeah, I get that a lot.”

 

Joohyun’s mom nodded, then opened the front door wider.  “Well please come in!  You girls must be cold out there!”

 

The two girls followed Joohyun’s mother inside, and were met with a wonderful smell.  “I’m cooking dinner, but I just started so it’ll be a while.” Joohyun’s mother explained, noticing how the two girls enjoyed the smell.  “Joohyun, why don’t you show your friend to your room.  I’m sure you won’t mind sharing, you are both girls after all.”

 

Joohyun smiled “Of course.” She then turned to Seungwan “Let’s go, follow me.”  Joohyun led Seungwan up the stairs and to the last door on the second floor.  The room looked as if Joohyun never left.

 

As soon as Seungwan put both of their bags down she jumped on the bed, enjoying the firmness of the mattress.

 

“I’m sorry about my mother.” Joohyun suddenly broke the silence as she sat down on the bed to join the younger girl.

 

“Why?” Seungwan asked, confused as to why Joohyun would say that.

 

“Her comment about your name...” Joohyun seemed to really feel guilty.

 

Seungwan chuckled a bit before hugging the older girl.  “It didn’t bother me, I wasn’t lying when I said I hear that a lot.  Don’t worry about it.”

 

Joohyun hugged Seungwan back, loving the warmth that the younger girl emitted.  They stayed like this for a while, enjoying the comfortable silence.  The couple only separated when they heard a booming voice down stairs.

 

“That’s my dad, he must’ve just gotten back from work.”  

 

Seungwan rubbed her neck, looking nervous for the first time that day.  “I’m actually a little scared to meet him.  Hopefully I make a good impression.”

 

Joohyun smiled, finding this side of Seungwan cute.  “Don’t worry, you’ll be fine.  He’s super nice to my friends.”

 

“What about your past boyfriends?”

 

Joohyun visibly cringed at the memories of her boyfriends meeting her father.  He was quite intimidating, and worked especially hard to scare all of Joohyun’s suitors.

 

“Oh gosh I am so dead.”

 

Joohyun laughed before reassuring the younger girl “He doesn’t know we’re dating, so he’ll be nice.  Once he gets to know you as my friend, he might be a little nicer once he finds out you’re me girlfriend.”

 

Seungwan ran a hand through her hair, and despite her being nervous she looked incredibly hot.  “Hopefully.  Well, let’s not keep him waiting.”

 

Joohyun nodded and led Seungwan downstairs to where her father was probably waiting for her.  Once she saw him, she quickly ran into his arms.

 

“Daddy!  I missed you so much!”

 

Joohyun’s father chuckled and squeezed his daughter tight.  “I missed you too sweetheart.  Who is this?”

 

Seungwan froze for a second, but she recovered and quickly shot out her hand with a bow. “I’m Son Seungwan, sir.  Nice to meet you.”

 

Mr.Bae chuckled at Seungwan’s greeting, but took her hand and shook it anyway. “I haven’t heard about you, how did you too meet?”

 

Joohyun smiled before recounting the story, which proved to work in Seungwan’s favor as Mr.Bae was very impressed.

 

“Well, I can’t thank you enough for helping my daughter.  I’m glad you two became friends.”

 

That comment seemed to put Seungwan at ease, she was visibly relaxed now and chatting with the older couple.  Joohyun enjoyed watching the two interact, she was very glad that they were getting along.

 

The family settled for dinner as it rained outside, the warm food doing well to keep the cold out.  The dinner went by just fine, with Joohyun’s parents getting to know Seungwan a bit more.  It must’ve been tiring, answering all those questions.  Joohyun’s mother in particular seem to be very curious about Seungwan, which was a little odd.

 

When they finished eating, Seungwan and Joohyun did dishes together, then went up to Joohyun’s room.  The two girls were unpacking, enjoying each other’s company while listening to music.

 

“See, that wasn’t so bad.” Joohyun started, lightly pushing Seungwan with her shoulder.

 

“Yeah, I know, I was nervous for no reason.”

 

Joohyun realized that she had nothing to worry about as well, that she shouldn’t be afraid of telling her parents anything.

 

“Hey Seungwan, I’ll be right back.” She was going to tell them everything while she was still full of confidence.

 

“Hm? Okay, take your time.”

 

As Joohyun went down the stairs she heard her parents talking in hushed whispers, so she slowed down and strained her ears to listen.

 

“Yes!  I am almost positive that she is!  They shouldn’t be sleeping in the same room...” her mother said in a frantic tone.

 

“Calm down honey.  Sure, the girl is a little boyish, but that’s typical nowadays.”

 

Her mom was silent for a moment before speaking again.  I don’t want a lesbian to confuse my daughter.  I won’t- it just isn’t-“ she took a breath and then continued “I think they shouldn’t be sleeping together.”

 

Joohyun’s eyes widened as she took in everything her parents said.  Clearly they had an inkling that Seungwan was a lesbian, but that wasn’t the part that bothered her.  What bothered her was how they were treating her like she had some contagious disease.

 

“Again, she may not be a lesbian, but if you’re that worried about it then you should go up and tell them to sleep in different rooms.”

 

Joohyun had enough, she was angry now.  She practically stomped down the remaining stairs, letting her parents know that she heard everything.  

 

“Mom, Dad, I’m not sure why you’re being secretive about this issue when you could just speak to me about it.”

 

While her voice was level and calm, the glare in her eyes revealed how pissed she was.  Her parents seemed surprised, but not scared.

 

Joohyun’s mother chose to be blunt and directly ask the question that was on her mind.  “Is your friend a lesbian.”

 

Joohyun narrowed her gaze before answering “Yes.”

 

“And you chose to sleep with her?” Her mother sounded flabbergasted, probably thinking Joohyun to be too naive.

 

“Yes because she’s my girlfriend.”  

 

Both Joohyun’s mother and father wore surprised expressions on their faces.  They probably never thought that their daughter would be interested in women.

 

“She has already confused you...”

 

Her mother said it quietly, but Joohyun heard it loud and clear.  Tears began to form, some in anger and some in sadness.  Instead of escalating the situation by yelling at her mother for her view on Seungwan, she instead chose to focus on their acceptance.  

 

“Why do you think I’m confused?  If anything, Seungwan has made me realize who I actually am.  Why can’t you see that?”

 

“You have had boyfriends before!  You are just in- I don’t know, some phase because of that girl upstairs!  You need to distance yourself, it’s for your own good.  Just let me-“

 

“No!” Tears were flowing freely down Joohyun’s face now, her sadness evident in her voice.  “Why can’t you accept me like this!?”

 

Her parents were speechless because they had never seen their daughter act in such a way before.  Joohyun scoffed at their lack of an answer and ran out of the house, slamming the door behind her.

 

The loud noice brought Seungwan downstairs, as she had no idea what was going on.  “Is everything alright?”

 

Mr. and Mrs. Bae had no words, they simply stared at Seungwan in disbelief.  Seungwan looked towards the door than back to the older couple, obviously looking for Joohyun.

 

“Did Joohyun go outside?”

 

Joohyun’s mother nodded, still unable to form words.

 

“But it’s pouring rain!  I’ll be right back Mr. and Mrs. Bae!” Seungwan than ran out of the house, leaving Joohyun’s parents to think about the events that unfolded right before them.


AN: Well, things sure did escalate quickly!

Sorry for the cliffhanger, but the chapter was getting kinda long :P

I just wanna quickly say thanks for all the comments guys, I'm glad you're enjoying the story!

See you in the next chapter ;)