Chapter 3

Wrong Number

Much like the arcade, the karaoke place was empty, so the group immediately got into a room.  As they were ordering food and setting up, Joy and Seulgi had decided to ask Joohyun a couple of questions to learn a bit more about the girl.

 

“So Joohyun,” Joy started “how old are you?”

 

“25.” Joohyun giggled at everybody’s surprised expressions.

 

“Really?” Seungwan asked with her eyes comically wide.  “I should be calling you unnie!”

 

Seulgi gasped (her reaction was oddly late) “Oh gosh!  We all should be calling you unnie!”

 

“Really?” Joohyun was similarly surprised, she thought at least one of the girls here was older than her (or at least the same age). “How old are you guys?”

 

“Wendy and Seulgi are both 22, and I’m 20.” Joy said, before adding “You definitely don’t look older, but maybe you act older..”

 

Seungwan then burst out laughing “Uh, more like she acts like a cute little kid!  Did you see her at the arcade?”

 

Joohyun blushed as the other girls laughed, but soon enough she joined in as well.  Joohyun just met these girls, but she already feels like she can call them close friends.  

 

Eventually they began taking turns with karaoke, singing group songs, duets, and even solos.  Joohyun found out that all the girls were great singers, but Seungwan had the most mesmerizing voice.  She could hit all the high notes, and when she sang low notes it gave Joohyun goosebumps.  Similarly, the other girls complimented Joohyun on her singing, which made her quite proud.  Joohyun was always more of a dancer, but she’d be lying if she said she didn’t sing along to songs as she danced. 


 

Soon it became clear that everyone should head home.  It was a little past midnight and everyone was tipsy if not drunk.  Luckily it was a Saturday so everyone planned to rest tomorrow.  The pairs went their separate ways, Seungwan deciding to walk Joohyun home instead of following the others.

 

They walked in a comfortable silence, enjoying the breeze.  Seungwan even gave Joohyun her jacket to wear, which she gladly accepted.  As they walked, Joohyun glanced at Seungwan, trying to gather up the courage to reach for the other girl’s hand, but gasped due to what she saw.  Seungwan’s hand was bruised a nasty reddish-purple color around the knuckles, most likely due to her run in with Bogum Park.  Without thinking twice, Joohyun gently grabbed Seungwan’s hand to inspect it.

 

As soon as her hand made contact, Seungwan attempted to interlock their fingers.  Joohyun thought this was cute, but felt sorry because holding hands was the last thing she wanted to do with Seungwan’s injured hand.  Joohyun quickly grabbed Seungwan’s injured hand with both of her own, stopping the other girl from interlocking their fingers.  She heard Seungwan cough awkwardly, and realized that she must be embarrassed.

 

“As much as I’d love to hold your hand, it’s injured!  Why didn’t you show me earlier?”

 

Seungwan looked down at her hand “What?  Oh, I didn’t even really notice it..”

 

The two had stopped walking by now, they probably looked strange just standing in the middle of the sidewalk, but Joohyun wanted to make sure the other girl’s hand was alright.  

 

“Should we go to the hospital?  Something could be broken...”

 

Seungwan chuckled at Joohyun’s suggestion “I’m fine, nothing is broken.  It’s just bruised a little, you don’t have to worry.”

 

“You can’t just tell me not to worry, you got this injury because of me...” Joohyun whispered with her head hung low.

 

Seungwan’s expression softened as she noticed how guilty the other girl was.  “Hey,” Seungwan gently grabbed Joohyun’s chin, lifting her head up so they were looking in each other’s eyes.  “I am fine, I promise.  If getting a bruised up hand meant getting to meet you, then I’d do it again in a heartbeat.”

 

Joohyun blushed heavily, but had a small smile on her face.  She was also quite glad she got to meet Seungwan.  “Even so, will you at least let me ice it when we get to my apartment?”

 

Seungwan smiled, big and bright “As you wish.  Shall we go then?”  She offered her arm to Joohyun, which she took with no hesitation.


 

Once the two girls entered the apartment, Joohyun quickly sat Seungwan down on the couch and grabbed a bag of ice. After giving the other girl the ice, Joohyun excused herself to quickly get changed into more comfortable clothes.  When she came back into the living, she saw Seungwan right where she left her, sitting on the couch icing her hand.

 

“How does it feel?”

 

Seungwan turned her head and winked before answering “Better now that you’re here.”

 

Joohyun giggled “You know, you’re the most greasy person I know.”

 

Seungwan’s smile seemed to grow at that statement “You haven’t even seen the extent of my greasiness.  Be prepared my lady.”

 

Joohyun groaned as Seungwan laughed loudly.  It’s crazy how comfortable they had become with each other in the span of a couple of hours.  This night had easily been the best and most memorable night of Joohyun’s life.  Now she’s glad that she decided to go on that blind date.

 

“Hey,” Joohyun began, suddenly quite shy. “I don’t know if this is weird, but, can I have your number?  I really want to see you again...”

 

Seungwan gave Joohyun a gentle smile “Of course, I’m glad you asked.  Let me see your phone.”

 

Joohyun quickly gave Seungwan her phone, her hastiness making the other girl laugh.  When Joohyun got her phone back, she gasped.

 

“It wasn’t the wrong number...”

 

“What?”

 

“Your phone number, it’s the same as my dad’s for sure...”

 

Seungwan thought for a moment before answering “Well I did get a new number, but that was months ago.”

 

Joohyun began thinking about her last call with her father.  It had been a while, months even.  “He could’ve changed it... maybe I should call my mom.”

 

“Well, it is late, I think I should probably go head home.”  Seungwan smiled at Joohyun’s sad expression “Don’t worry!  We can hang tomorrow if you want to.  You have my number now too, so just text me whenever, I’ll always answer.  Ok?”

 

“Ok.”  Joohyun said with a pout.  As she lead Seungwan to the door, she struggled to decide what to do (should I shake her hand?  Hug her?  Why am I so awkward now?). Luckily Seungwan took initiative and hugged the girl tightly, which Joohyun quickly reciprocated.  

 

“See you.”  Seungwan said, giving Joohyun a two- salute before leaving.  

 

“See you..” Joohyun said even though the other girl was long gone.


AN: I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far! 

I really enjoy reading all of you coments :)

And don't worry everyone, Yeri will be joining soon :)

See you guys in the next chapter!