Chapter 8

Lisa Manoban, PA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hey Jennie," Lisa said, not bothering to knock as she pushed her way into the office. Jennie only looked surprised for a moment before she smiled. "I just confirmed your flight and your booking with Mr. Olsen for next week. He is the most Swedish sounding French person I've ever talked to."

"Oh thank you, Ms. Manoban," Jennie said, smoothing the cuffs of her blouse. Lisa shook her head.

"Lisa," she corrected. "I think you can call me Lisa."

"Oh – thank you, Lisa." A small smile spread over Jennie's face. Lisa watched it for a moment before remembering herself.

"I still can't believe you're going to Quebec. Isn't it a rule that you have to go to Florida at this time of year?" she asked.

"It's not a vacation, it's a business trip."

"Hey, if it's a business trip, you should bring me along."

"Well... I didn't think you'd want to or-" Jennie was smoothing her cuffs again, picking at her cufflinks.

Lisa decided to save her from her distress. "I'm joking, Jennie."

"Oh."

"Want to eat lunch together?" Lisa asked.

It's like coaxing out a cat in a new apartment, Lisa thought as Jennie mumbled an invitation that could have been summed up with 'Sure.' It was adorable. Lisa grabbed her chair, which she had dragged over from her desk and pulled it into Jennie's office.

"Thanks. If I sit with Namjoon and Yoongi today in the cafeteria I may just throttle them."

"Are they still not apologizing?"

"Of course not. I admitted that it was a fun night out with you and that just broke all credibility in their eyes," Lisa said, rolling her eyes.

Jennie blushed.

"We should hang out again sometime," Lisa suggested.

"We should?" Jennie asked as she pulled out a take-out container from the hotel she lived in.

Lisa wondered when the last time Jennie had something that wasn't made by a five-star chef was.

"Yeah! Like – as friends. It'd be fun."

"Ummm... okay." Jennie twisted her napkin in her hands. "What should we do?"

"I dunno. Order a pizza and watch movies? What do you do for fun?"

For some reason, Jennie suddenly seemed to clamp up. "Oh... books, internet, skiing..." Was it the pizza? Could you get five-star pizza with truffles and rare smelly cheeses? Lisa thought it would be better to start with something that was already in Jennie's comfort zone.

"Okay, what do you and J-Hope get up to? You can't tell me that you guys go skiing – I doubt Hoseok knows what the outside world looks like. We can skip the pizza."

"No, pizza is good. Hoseok and I… oh... we have a... games... night. Once a week. With him and his brother." She noted Lisa calls Hoseok by his nickname

An image of Jennie playing monopoly or clue came into Lisa's head. She giggled.

"Sounds awesome. Can I join? When?"

"I guess so?" Jennie asked more than answered. She was staring very deliberately at her food.

"We have one tonight."

"Yay!" Lisa clapped her hands together, doing a little victory dance in her seat.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jennie stood there, clutching at her sides, waiting for Lisa to give a verdict on how she spent her spare time. This was not a good idea. Twelve year olds played Call of Duty. Not CEO's of major corporations. Lisa was going to laugh her out of her own house.

"This is so much cooler than monopoly!" Lisa squealed, inspecting the 80'' TV, console, sound system and all the equipment that made up Jennie's hobby. Lisa put the pizza down on the coffee table and flopped into the couch.

"Are you gonna teach me?"

"You thought I was talking about monopoly?" Jennie asked. A tiny chuckle escaped her.

"Well, you did say 'games night'. I was kind of nervous. I've never played a game of monopoly that ended well."

"I play enough of real life monopoly, I think," Jennie replied, still smiling.

"Planning on building a hotel on Boardwalk anytime soon?"

Jennie laughed again. Lisa once again gave a delighted smile, like she hasn't expected Jennie to laugh.

And I normally wouldn't, she realized. This was new – she was used to being so guarded around others that laughing wouldn't even occur to her, unless it was Hoseok. But Lisa was different – once Jennie got over her crazy reactions to her, Lisa was easy to be around. She was fun.

Jennie moved toward the kitchen. "Would you like something to drink?"

Lisa bounced to her feet, following her. "What've you got?"

"Ummm... white wine, cranberry juice, sparkling water..." she trailed off, not really sure if it was sophisticated enough for her to talk about her usual beverage of choice. "We can order up anything, really. There's a decent selection of local beer..."

"Chocolate Milk!" Lisa cried, peering over the side of the fridge and grabbing at the container.

"Were you gonna leave that out?"

Jennie gave a sheepish smile.

"Come on," Lisa said, rolling her eyes. "I bring you Timmy's every morning. I think we both know that we're horrible chocoholics who don't care if it's good or not."

"Good point."

Two glasses of chocolate milk and plates in hand they returned to the couch. Lisa again flopped down.

"Oops," she said when the milk inevitably spilled onto her blouse.

"Here," Jennie said, handing her a napkin.

"It's like you know me," Lisa said with another giggle. She dabbed at the spill, made a face when she noticed it had soaked through her shirt, and then undid the top two buttons.

She just keeps... Jennie's thoughts became incoherent again. She knew Lisa wasn't doing this on purpose – she was just like that. But it didn't change the fact that she was now wiping milk off the top of her s. Jennie could see her bra (white with lace edging).

Why am I even watching her? She was just standing there, watching Lisa. Watching the dip of the skin of her s under the pressure of the napkin and Lisa's hands. Lisa hadn't noticed.

She scrunched up the napkin and put it down on her place before popping open the pizza box.

She left the top two buttons of her blouse undone.

Not technically indecent – showing cleavage is normal and it was no longer the work day. Jennie's pulse and overactive mind disagreed with that assessment, however.

"Are you going to sit down?" Lisa asked with a curious look at Jennie, slice of pizza halfway to .

Jennie replied in an assenting sort of grunt, unable to manage anything else. She sat down on the other end of the couch. She had talked Hoseok into bringing his spare system over so they could sit on different furniture altogether, minimizing the horrible effect Lisa still had on her ability to think properly. Instead of understanding this, he'd managed to set up both systems on the same TV (how, she had no idea). He thought it was absolutely lovely that Jennie was making friends and that she and Lisa needed to increase direct contact to keep the relationship boost at maximum.

She picked up the controllers, tossing one to Lisa. "We need to get you set up in the system," she said.

"Okay," Lisa said. She scooted closer to Jennie on the couch. "Shouldn't the controllers be plugged in?"

"Um... when was the last time you played video games?"

"My mom got a Sega at a garage sale once. I played Sonic."

Oh dear. It occurred to Jennie that putting Lisa straight into online play might not be the best idea, but Hoseok and Jin were waiting. And Jennie was too aware of Lisa being right next to her, watching over her shoulder as she signed Lisa into the system. Maybe mass slaughter would be enough to distract her eyes from Lisa's s. And the sprinkling of freckles that seemed to congregate in her cleavage.

She really needed to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter