Chapter 15

Lisa Manoban, PA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

        Jennie arrived early for work on Monday. Normally she had to drag herself out the door in the morning – she had spent many mornings dreading the tick of the clock as it brought her closer to the time when she would have to get in her car and go talk to people she didn't like. But today she had been staring at it, waiting for it to speed up so she could finally go and see Lisa again.

She lasted until eight before she grabbed her bag and rushed out the door.

Her heart felt completely full of happiness. It kept leaking out – she was smiling for no particular reason and she felt like she was floating as she speed-walked from her car to the building. The security guard at the desk did a double take as she passed.

"Good morning, Ms. Kim," the woman said. Jennie noticed the look of shock on her face.

"Uh... good morning." Jennie smiled at her. She realized that this woman had been saying good morning to her for the past two years. She had, of course, replied in the most basic fashion.

Her father had raised her to be polite if nothing else, but she'd never stopped and really noticed her. "How are you?" she asked.

The woman was definitely shocked. Her eyes were wide as she stammered, "G-good, Ms. Kim. How are you?"

"I'm good, thank you." Jennie smiled again, and waved before she made her way to the elevator.

She could practically feel the shocked stare boring into the back of her head.

Lisa wasn't there yet. Of course she wouldn't be. It was only quarter after. Knowing Lisa, she probably wasn't even awake yet. The thought made Jennie smile. Lisa with her bedhead and sleepy eyes was something she could get used to.

She perched on the edge of Lisa's desk, and pulled out her phone. She considered texting her – would that be too much? She didn't want to be clingy. They had spent all of Saturday together after all, cuddling and watching episodes of Firefly (Lisa's choice). They had only parted because Lisa needed to get some errands done. Sunday had seemed so long.

It was only one day, she chided herself and put the phone back in her purse. She wasn't a mollusk. She didn't need to be clingy.

Maybe she shouldn't be waiting for Lisa on her desk. That was a bit forward. She stood up and fidgeted. She almost made it to her office, but she did want to see Lisa right away.

Maybe if she just walked casually around the office, it would look like she had been going somewhere when Lisa came up. Heading into her office, or to the bathroom.

She paced a circle around the office, peering out the window as she passed. As if she would see Lisa emerging from the subway and walking toward the building. Which she wouldn't. She was on the top floor and even Lisa's bright hair wouldn't stand out.

Gosh, she was going to drive herself insane walking in circles. She twisted her hands and glanced at the wall clock. Twenty after. It felt like Lisa was never going to get there.

Just as she though this, she heard the sliding doors of the elevator.

Her heart leapt and her stomach twisted. A sudden rush of panic filled her. She grabbed her suitcase and scurried into her office, pulling the door shut behind her.

Why am I hiding? She wasn't sure. She listened as the door to the Lisa's office opened and closed.

"Jennie?" Lisa called. Jennie's heart leapt into .

Play it cool. She pulled open her door, sticking her head out.

Lisa was standing by her desk, where she had apparently just dumped the coffee tray, two take-out Timmy's bags, and her laptop pack. She was dressed in a flowery, ruffled blouse and a pencil skirt, her hair tied in its usual messy bun. Her face lit up like the sun at the sight of Jennie.

"Good morning!" she said, reaching out her arms. Jennie walked over, trying hard to not twist her hands together as her stomach danced a jig inside her.

"Good morning," she said shyly, reaching out to meet Lisa's embrace. Jennie gave herself a merit point for not running over.

Lisa pulled her into a tight hug and kissed her warmly. Jennie could taste the minty-ness of toothpaste on her still, and smell her essential Lisa smell.

"I think you frightened Wendy," Lisa said, when she pulled away from the kiss. She kept her arms wrapped around Jennie's waist.

"Wendy?"

"The security guard. She says you actually looked at her this morning, and asked how she was. She was wondering if I drugged you."

Jennie considered getting indignant about this. But Lisa's eyes were sparkling with laughter. Jennie squeezed Lisa's waist gently. "I think you have," she said, her voice husky, before she kissed Lisa again.

Every time they kissed, Jennie felt her pulse begin to race and her body grow pleasantly warm.

She loved the feeling of Lisa's arms around her, the closeness of her body. With each kiss the guilty feeling inside her lessened. There was no way this was wrong.

Lisa's hands were wandering, loosening her embrace to make light trails up Jennie's back. An involuntary shiver went through her. Lisa's touch was so light, but it was making Jennie melt with pleasure.

When Jennie felt the brush of Lisa's tongue against her lips she gave an involuntary gasp.

Oh my god. It always surprised her when Lisa did that, a feeling of a thousand nerve ending lighting up at once at the light brush.

She didn't know how to respond. It was so painfully obvious that she was inexperienced that she wondered why was Lisa even interested in her at all.

Lisa didn't seem to mind. Her hands were trailing up Jennie's shoulder now. She pulled one hand loose only to move it back to Jennie's neck, tangling her finger in the hair at the base of Jennie's hair, curling into a fist to tug gently as her tongue swiped along Jennie's upper lip. Jennie's knees felt weak and her head light from the new sensations. She hadn't known just kissing Lisa could do this to her.

Lisa pushed against her, moving her up against the desk. Jennie welcomed the support, leaning against it so she could concentrate fully on Lisa.

When Lisa's tongue made another exploratory at her bottom lip, Jennie responded, opening to let Lisa in. Their tongues touched lightly, tasting each other. Jennie's fingers gripped at Lisa's blouse, her mind lost in the pure sensation of everything.

The hand that wasn't currently tangled in Jennie's hair made it's was back to the small of her back, slipping under the jacket to tug gently at the blouse. As their mouths worked, the fabric slid out from the waist of Jennie's pants.

The touch of Lisa's hand on her bare skin was enough to make Jennie jump. She pulled back, breath coming ragged.

Lisa gave a sheepish smile and pulled back so she was no longer touching Jennie. "Sorry. Got a bit carried away." She didn't look sorry at all.

"Ummmm..." Jennie was bright red in the face, she knew it. She reached behind, trying to tuck her shirt back in. Her hands were shaking "We have... work. And stuff. Meeting."

"Of course." Lisa practically bounced around her to get to the forgotten Timmy's bags. How could she be so... not a huge puddle on the floor? Jennie was still using the desk for support.

Lisa held out a bag and one of the cups.

Jennie took them, trying to get her trembling under control. Lisa was watching her closely.

"Did I push too far?" she asked, her smile fading a bit as she reached into her own bag.

Jennie shook her head. "No... I just... ummm... not expecting..."

Lisa gave a small chuckle, looking away and biting her lip.

I knew she wasn't sorry.

But then, neither was Jennie, if she thought about it. Just delightfully overwhelmed.

"What's this?" Jennie asked as she opened her bag. Inside wasn't a doughnut or a muffin, but a wrapped breakfast sandwich. She pulled it out and inspected it. Lisa has chosen a multi-grain bagel for her.

"Real food," Lisa said, waving her own bagel. "We've got a big day ahead. I need to make sure we're properly nourished."

"I don't think they use real egg, you know." She took a bite. Nope, definitely not real egg.

"But it has protein. I want to make sure you're on top form. I've sent out a memo to everyone.

They'll be here at eleven o'clock. I was thinking a lunch meeting would be more casual, relaxed."

Jennie nearly choked on a bit of bacon. She coughed, clearing before looking back at Lisa in horror. "Everyone? What meeting?"

"I put it in your schedule yesterday," Lisa said, matter of fact. "All your top executives – well, all the ones in this building. I couldn't get the satellites here without more notice. I had to do a lot of rearranging as it was, I couldn't imagine booking flights as well. A few of them are going to be using skype, though, so that's something."

Jennie was growing slowly more panicked with each word.

"Why?" was all she could manage to choke out. She was clutching her sandwich too tight. A bit of egg fell onto the floor.

"You need to talk to them," Lisa said. She took a huge bite of her bagel and washed it down with her cafe mocha before continuing. "The board wants you to be more sociable, so I thought you should start with the top people. Get reports on the state of things in per

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter