Chapter 5

Lisa Manoban, PA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Lisa!"

She turned, smiling inside and out, and the sound of Hanbin's voice. He was running toward her across the parking lot, a bouquet of flowers clutched in his hand and a briefcase in the other.

He stopped a couple of feet from her, panting. "Can I walk you home?" he asked after he had caught his breath.

"I take the subway, but you can walk me there."

He grinned and they began walking. "Sorry I haven't had time to come see you. This merger with Mnet..." He shook his head.

"Jennie's been having meetings and phone calls about it non-stop," Lisa added. She had never had to answer her phone so often in her old job. She hadn't even gotten to play Mario run at lunch time. She looked curiously at the bouquet in his hand. They looked like roses, but they were soft purple.

"You have a romantic date I should know about?" she asked as they turned the corner onto a busy main street. She blushed as soon as she said it. It was kind of presumptuous, after one date. Hanbin looked confused, then seemed to remember he was holding a bouquet.

"Oh!" He held them out. "A gift, for you."

"Oh, wow," Lisa said, touching a finger to a blossom as she took them. "I've never seen purple roses before."

"They're lavender," Hanbin said. He scratched at the back of his hair and bit his lip before saying,

"In rose meanings, it stands for enchantment and..." He trailed off, mumbling something she couldn't catch.

"What?" she asked. He was blushing.

"Love at first sight," he whispered, looking directly ahead.

"Oh," she said, a little, surprised noise escaping her. It was her turn to blush.

They walked along in silence, Lisa looking at the beautiful roses. It felt like her entire being was humming with happiness by the time they reached the entrance to the underground. He looked at her out of the corner of his eyes. She smiled up at him.

"They're perfect, Hanbin, absolutely perfect."

He stopped, reaching out for her hand, turning her to face him. "Not as perfect as you."

Oh, wow, ummm... Her brain was instant mush, incapable of an intelligent thought. She just stared at him, blinking. He's a freaking prince charming.

His face turned even redder. "That was cheesy."

"I like cheese," she said in a breathy, high, voice. As always, she was brilliant and eloquent in the face of romance. He took a step toward her.

His phone rang. He blinked, like he was confused, then pulled it from his pocket. He gave a rueful smile and muttered, "Duty calls," before answering.

Stupid cell phones. The Moment, with a capital M, was completely broken. She glanced at her watch. She was going to be late for her friend dropping off more of her stuff if she didn't get moving.

She gave a little wave to catch Hanbin's attention, indicating that she had to get going. He rolled his eyes while pointing at his phone and gave a little wave back. Lisa clutched her flowers and skipped off down the steps.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The boys were singing again. Well, J-hope was singing. Jin was just sort of humming. Loudly. Jennie pulled the earphones away from her ears to protect them.

"Guys, stop it and get in the next game," she said, sighing.

They ignored her until they had finished singing. They always did.

"I swear guys, I'll play without you if you keep singing that stupid song."

"But it's your victory song!" J-hope protested. His username appeared on the screen, along with Jin's. "Come on guys," J-hope shouted, prompting Jennie to lower the volume on her headphones, "let's kick some !"

When Jennie had blurted out, "You're my new best friend" to Hoseok or J-hope all those years ago, she hadn't really meant it. She'd meant she was grateful that her computer was no longer flashing a blue screen of death at her. But, and she'd been reminded of this many times since, Hoseok took things literally.

And somehow, he'd made himself her best friend. And then they'd discovered they'd both liked Call of Duty. And then Jin joined in. (His real name was Seokjin, but Jennie had never actually heard anyone call him that). Sometimes, Jennie felt like she lived for Wednesday nights.

The next game of capture the flag did not go well. Her team, excluding Hoseok and Jin, .

"We are not playing kamikazes!" She shouted into her microphone as yet another idiot ran right into the line of fire. "Will someone please cover my !?"

The time was counting down, and they hadn't even gotten half to their mission.

"Boys, if we're going to get this one we'll have to do it ourselves," she told them.

"Yes, Ma'am," was Jin's serious reply.

"Yay!" Hoseok cheered.

Her heart was pounding and her palms were starting to sweat as she led them off to the north. They made a good team though. Wednesday had been Call of Duty night for almost two years now, and they were really good at it.

"Okay, I'm going to hold this one," she said after the flag had been caught. She swiveled the character around, but there was only one enemy close. She shot him. "You guys head on to the west."

They ran off. Okay, she just needed to hold it for two minutes. She'd done trickier things before.

Of course, the enemy had been waiting for them to leave. Four guys popped out, all at once, swarming her. She shot one, but the next was failing to die.

She was standing up, leaning toward the screen. "Die, !" she said, firing off several shots.

He fell and she turned to find her next target-

Riiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnngggg

She jumped, controller slipping out of her hand. She accidentally kicked it under the couch.

Riiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnngggg

On the screen, her character jerked wildly, then died. She spawned on the south side of the map.

She ripped o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter