Chapter 12

Lisa Manoban, PA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'm really, really sorry about it."

"Jennie, stop apologizing. You fell asleep."

"But it was inappropriate. I shouldn't have done it."

"It's not inappropriate. If I was bothered, I would have woken you."

They rounded the corner on the hallway, leading to arrivals. "Besides you're cute when-"

Hanbin. Standing right there, a big goofy grin on his face.

"You came back!" he said, spreading his arms wide. Waiting for Lisa to run to him. "Glorious day!"

Lisa's stomach twisted unpleasantly. Oh, God, what should she do? He was standing there with that perfect hair and that goofy grin and he had no idea...

"Hi, Hanbin," she said, focusing on a point just above his shoulder. She couldn't tell him now. Not right in the airport lobby.

For one thing, the people behind them in the narrow hallway were clearing their throats loudly, waiting for Lisa and Jennie to move. She took a few steps forward. She could feel Jennie moving behind her.

Hanbin pulled her into a hug, kissing the top of her head. "Did you have a good trip?" he asked.

Lisa saw Jennie stride past them, heading for the doors.

"Yeah," she said. She pulled out of the hug and adjusted her duffle bag strap. "Pretty good. Is the car outside? I think Jennie's ready to go home."

"Of course..." he said. He sounded hurt.

Idiot. Kicking the puppy because you can't control your feeling for your boss, who, by the way, probably isn't even into women.

Lisa dealt with the awkwardness of the car ride in the best way she knew how: she babbled, endlessly, about Quebec. She told him all about Olsen and his family, the resort, the city, the ski hills – anything she could think of. Hanbin laughed at her story of attempted skiing, and was pleased about the success of the meetings, so he must have gotten over Lisa's lack of enthusiastic greeting. She wondered if he'd be able to brush off her breaking up with him quite as easily.

Probably not.

After they dropped off Jennie, Lisa tried babbling harder but it was inevitable. Hanbin reached over and her hair the moment Jennie had her back turned.

"So any preference for the movie we see tonight?"

She gulped. "Actually... uh, can we just stay in?"

He gave her a puzzled look.

"I'm a little tired out, and all."

Coward. She huddled in her seat, out of things to say as Hanbin drove them to her apartment.

She walked ahead of him when they got there, putting enough distance between them that he wouldn't notice the anxiety that was written all over her face or try and talk to her. Unfortunately, her door decided to stop her. Stupid her, locking it before going on vacation.

"So what's wrong?"

"Wrong?" she repeated. "Nothing wrong... everything's peachy..." She gave a very awkward, very not convincing laugh. The lock clicked as she turned the key and she pushed the door open.

He caught her, pulling her around to face him. He cupped her cheek in his hand, his dark brown eyes boring into her own. "What's wrong, Lisa?"

"I..." she looked down, pulling her face away from his hand. She had to do it, now. Before she lost her nerve. "I can't date you anymore, Hanbin."

She kept her eyes trained on her shoes. They were getting dirty from all the spring-time slush.

"... what did I do?" Hanbin asked after a long silence. Her head snapped up. His face was a mask of disbelief and hurt.

Oh god.

"It's not you at all! It's me, completely me. You are a really great guy, and you're super handsome and funny and perfect for me in every way it's just..."

Wow, when I say it like that, I'm a complete idiot.

"This is really hard, because I don't really know how to explain it but you don't deserve this, really, because I went away on this big week long trip and I didn't miss you at all – I mean – that sounds mean. But it's sort of true. Even though you are perfect and funny and handsome and I said that already, but it's true, really and you are going to find the perfect person for you one day-"

He held up a hand, stopping her. "It's okay, Lisa." he said. His voice was soft, composed. He gave a rueful smile. "Did you fall for a dashing French man?"

"No..." she said, truthfully. "But... there is... someone."

He nodded, and she returned to staring at her shoes. She was out of clichéd break up-lines that fit the situation. All she could do now was wait for him to say something.

"Can we still be friends?"

She was not expecting that. She looked up. His eyes were full of hope. "I really like spending time with you – really. I think we'd make great friends."

"Oh." Her hand went to . She felt close to tears. She really was breaking up with the perfect man. "I'd like that," she said.

His face split into a grin of complete and utter delight. "Then, as your friend, do you want to order Chinese and watch a bad movie?"

"Absolutely."

"So are you going to tell me who the someone is?" he asked, nudging her out of the way as he grabbed two fortune cookies. He passed her one.

"I don't know if I should," she said, honestly. He was still an exec at the company after all, and though she wanted to trust him she didn't want any unwanted rumors going around the office.

At least none that would reach Jennie's ears.

She cracked open the cookie and pulled at the strip of paper inside.

Soon life will become more interesting.

Well, that was either encouraging or incredibly ominous.

"You are admired for your adventurous ways... in bed!"

"What?" Lisa yelped. Hanbin was laughing like a loon.

"Haven't you ever done that? Read your cookie, and add 'in bed' after it."

She looked at her little slip of paper and blushed. Your life will become more interesting... in bed!

"No thanks," she said.

"Let me read it!"

She scrunched the little slip of paper up and shoved it into her pocket. "Nope!"

When the movie was over and Lisa was yawning – she had started the day in another province after all – Hanbin helped her clean up and pulled on his coat. If anything, Hanbin made a better friend than a date. He was decidedly not awkward about everything, and made her laugh more than ever. She didn't have to feel guilty when her mind wandered to Jennie and the times that they shared in Quebec.

And he was just a perfect gentleman.

"I'm glad we can still be friends, Lisa," he said as they stood in the doorway.

"Me too."

He turned to go, and she watched him walk toward the elevator. Friends.

Friends told each other things – didn't they?

"Hanbin-"

He turned back to look at her.

"It's Jennie."

His brow furrowed in confusion. She took a deep breath.

"I have a big gay crush on Jennie!"

She told him everything. Every little moment about the trip and all her feeling for Jennie. He listened closely to everything, being the perfect friend.

"And the crazy part is – I don't even know if she likes women!" she finished, flopping back into the couch. It was pushing midnight now. Good thing tomorrow was a Saturday.

"We could hire a private investigator," He suggested. She glanced at him. He was smirking. She punched his arm lightly.

"I can't afford a private investigator."

"I can." She rolled her eyes at him.

"That doesn't solve the problem. I'm not going to pry into her private life," she said firmly. He considered this for a moment.

"How about asking people who know her? Who are her friends?" he asked.

"I guess I could ask Hoseok..." she mused. She also learned to call him by his name than his nickname. "He knows her best, I think."

"See, it's not that difficult."

She smiled at him. "What if she doesn't like women? Or like me back, for that m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter