Chapter 24 (Epilogue)

Lisa Manoban, PA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Note: The French in this chapter is terrible. I know this, because I couldn't use anyone's help without giving stuff away. Not looking to fix it right now.

 

 

Lisa skipped ahead of Jennie, enjoying the view of the resort in spring. Proper spring. None of that March nonsense. There were flowers everywhere and the trees were just beginning to open their buds and, best of all, the snow was gone and no one would be trying to convince her to go skiing.

"I'm so glad we came back!" she declared when they reached the steps, turning to look at Jennie.

Jennie was wearing a beautiful casual dress in pale lilac, her hair down except for a butterfly clip holding small strands off to one side. The outfit had come from a recent shopping trip they'd taken with Sunmi. Her mother had practically forced Jennie to buy it. She looked amazing.

She always looked amazing.

"What?" Jennie asked, reaching Lisa. Lisa smiled sheepishly. She'd been staring.

"I was thinking I'd like to get upstairs quickly. I have every intention of getting you out of that gorgeous thing as soon as possible."

Jennie smirked and bent over to give Lisa a teasing kiss. "Minx," she accused.

"Of course."

"Let's have dinner before we go up," Jennie said after a few more kisses that left Lisa feeling weak in the knees.

Lisa raised an eyebrow. Jennie smiled.

"I'm hungry, and I want to say hi to Olsen and Andre."

"Can't argue with that logic," Lisa said, though she was pouting. But they hadn't actually seen Olsen and Andre in over a year, and Lisa did want to see them. She supposed, since they were taking a two-week vacation and they had no business to attend to, that there would be plenty of time for her to get Jennie later. Even if she did have a surprises in her bag that she was dying to show to Jennie. Jennie took Lisa's hand, nodding to the doorman as they made their way inside.

The lobby was less crowded than it had been the year before, probably because there was no skiing or maple-syrup festival going on.

"Allo!" Lisa jumped at the loudness of the shout. She looked up to see Gigi tearing towards them. The girl had grown several inches in the last year. She stopped in front of Jennie, crossing her arms, putting a very serious expression on her five-year-old face. "Est-elle ta blonde, maintenant?"

Jennie looked down at the little girl in front of her. "Où sont ta papas?"

Gigi stomped her foot. "Répondre à ma question."

Jennie sighed and rolled her eyes. Lisa tried to work out what they were saying but despite Jennie giving her some French lessons over the last few months, she was as lost as ever. Why did French people have to talk so fast?

Gigi furrowed her eyebrows and tapped her foot impatiently on the marble floor. "Répondre à ma question, Kim."

Jennie's face twitched, like she was trying to stop herself from laughing. Lisa couldn't blame her.

Gigi was very cross, and was clearly trying to look very serious.

"Oui. Bien?" Jennie said, throwing her arms into the air with another laugh.

"Yes! I knew it!" Gigi squealed like a fangirl at a convention, then tore off, presumably to tell every human being within a ten kilometer radius whatever Jennie had just agreed to.

"Okay..." she said slowly. "What was that?"

"She was bugging me about us being girlfriends and I told her we were." Jennie shrugged and started walking towards the dining room. "Apparently that's really big news."

Lisa frowned as she followed Jennie, going over the words she had picked out of the conversation. She stopped suddenly. Jennie took a few steps before she noticed Lisa wasn't following her.

"What?"

"Est-elle ta blonde..." she muttered, mangling the pronunciation. "What does that mean, exactly?"

"'Is she your girlfriend', like I said, 'Ma blonde' is a Quebecois expression for... why are you looking at me like that?"

"The club... when we were here before we started dating..." She was staring at Jennie. That was what she'd said to get the sleazy guy to back off? And Gigi... she suddenly turned bright red.

"I'm going to kill that child," she grumbled. Teach her French indeed.

Jennie chuckled. "Why? Because she turned out to be prophetic?"

"No. Because I really did want to learn French!"

"J'aime tu."

"I know what that means."

"Tu es ma joie de vivre," Jennie whispered again. "You are the joy of my life."

"A useful expression."

"Tu es, pour moi, la plus belle. You are, for me, the most beautiful."

"I like that one."

"Veux-tu m'épouse?" Lisa waited for Jennie to translate that. The way she said it, it sounded so romantic and like it was the most important thing she'd ever said. Jennie just smiled at her, gazing into her eyes with an adoring expression.

"What does that one mean?" Lisa asked finally.

"Ms. Jennie! Lisa!" Olsen, wearing a spectacular flower and bunny printed sweater, was striding across the lobby, his arms outstretched for what was sure to be a colossal hug.

Jennie kissed her cheek. "I'll tell you later," she muttered quietly, then straightened to greet Olsen.

Dinner turned into eating with Olsen, Andre and all the children in their home. Apparently Andre had been waiting for them to arrive, and had been preparing a feast for most of the morning, including his fabulous brownies.

Lisa had to be careful not to stuff herself into a stupor, because she had been really looking forward to getting Jennie upstairs and revealing the surprise stashed in her bag. Jennie got caught up in talking to Olsen about how the renovations on the ballroom had gone. Lisa had played with the children – it wasn't official business, and she was set on doing as little work related stuff during this vacation as possible.

"You know," Lisa said, as they waited for the elevator. "Gigi was asking me again when we were going to 'just get married already' and have kids for her to play with when we come visit."

She watched Jennie's face closely for her reaction. They'd been dating for over a year. That was a short time, she knew it wasn't that long in the grand scheme of things. But they had moved in together a few months ago, and they were only more in love with each other with every passing day. When Lisa thought about marrying Jennie, it always felt like a question of when, not if.

Jennie's mouth twitched into a smile. "And what did you tell her?" she asked evenly. She didn't seem the least bit surprised or alarmed. Lisa couldn't decide if that was a good thing or not.

"Oh..." Lisa thought quickly. She'd actually turned a bright shade of red and gone completely unintelligible, much to the little girl's delight. She didn't want to tell Jennie that. "I told her this kind of thing takes time." Yes. That sounded like a good answer.

Jennie chuckled. "Children would definitely take a year or two, at least."

They stepped out of the elevator. Now was the time to alert Jennie to the surprise in her bag, build up the mood. She opened .

"I have a surprise for you," Jennie said, before she could.

"What?" she yelped, "But-"

Jennie looked hurt. "You don't want a surprise?"

"I have a surprise for you! This was going to be my big moment."

There was something going on behind Jennie's face that Lisa couldn't quite read. Some sort of worry? But then she smiled. "It's not another video is it? If I see one more long fingernail..."

"No, for your information, it's not." It came with an instructional video, but that didn't count. She crossed her arms and pouted at Jennie. "So who gets to do their surprise first."

Jennie scratched her chin. "Me," she declared, quite firmly.

"Why?" Lisa whined. She was wracking her brain, trying to figure out what Jennie's surprise might be. It could be anything – Jennie just loved surprising Lisa with anything from y lingerie to her own video game console complete with 80" T.V.

"Because you love me," Jennie replied, full of smug certainty.

"Hey, you love me too."

"Yes, but I'm about to pull the look on you." She lowered her head, peering at Lisa through her lovely long lashes. Her cat-eyes and begging-like and completely irresistible. Completely and utterly unfair, as Jennie well knew.

"Oh, fine," Lisa sighed. The pleading look was instantly replaced by a wicked grin. She pulled out a scarf.

"Turn around," she ordered. Lisa raised an eyebrow, but did as she was told.

"Why, Jennie, I didn't know you were interested in exploring ," Lisa quipped as Jennie knotted the scarf over her eyes.

"Shut up, dork." Jennie kissed the back of Lisa's neck, letting her breath linger there. Lis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter