Chapter 2

Lisa Manoban, PA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Oooh, Jennie, have you met Lisa?" J-hope asked as though the woman of Lisa's dirtiest fantasies had not just walked into the room.

J-hope was hugging the y apparition.

Boss, Lisa. Boss. Not y apparition.

But... Damn.

"Ah..." Lisa scrambled to her feet, wriggling her skirt down and stumbling over her heels. She caught herself on the edge of the desk. "Hehe... Lisa Manoban, your new Personal Assistant!"

She held out a hand, trying to give a winning smile.

y appa... Jennie Kim didn't take Lisa's hand. She didn't even smile. Her lips were pressed tight and her eyes were wide in a sort of shell shocked expression. Lisa dropped her hand.

"Well, I need to get going," J-hope said. He grabbed Lisa and Jennie at the same time, pulling them into a hug. "You guys get to know each other, and I'll see you at lunch Jennie!"

He picked up his duffel bag and wandered off.

Lisa was standing very, very, close to Jennie. She stepped back.

"So... this is interesting," Lisa said, looking away. "J-hope was just helping me get set up on the computer. I was trying to get some stuff done, you know, to impress you – well, not that I have to impress you. I have a whole degree and lots of experience. I promise that I am a fabulous personal assistant -"

Wait, no, she was talking to Jennie. She had to look at her. Just try and keep the googly out of her eyes – yeah, that was it.

She looked back into those bright brown eyes with the impossibly long lashes and discovered that there was no way that she could stop herself from making googly eyes.

Jennie was still looking a little wide eyed, but at least she wasn't looking at Lisa like she was an explosive about to go off. Lisa nervously tucked a loose strand of her hair back behind her ear.

"You're a lot younger than I expected, for the big boss, I mean. Not that you're too young – you're perfectly old – wait no, I don't mean that you're old I mean that I-"

She was spared from any further consumption of her foot by the phone ringing.

She pulled out her iPhone. It was dark and silent.

"Wait – new phone," she muttered. She dug through her purse, looking for the Hopeberry. " – I know I stuck it in here-"

Jennie was watching her and she could feel her neck growing warm. She dumped the contents of the purse on the desk, pushing aside gum wrappers, tampons and sugar packets.

She picked up the Hopeberry. Another ring sounded, and not from it.

With a phone in each hand and her trash strewn over her previously clean desk she looked up at Jennie in panic.

"Try your desk phone," Jennie said, slowly and clearly. She pointed.

"I have a desk phone?" She looked at the desk. Sure enough, a large complicated looking phone with too many buttons was sitting there next to the computer, its little red light flashing.

"I didn't know I had a desk phone."

"Of course you have a desk phone." Clearly she thought Lisa was an idiot. Great first impression.

"Answer it. It's probably our contact at Mnet, Inc."

"Oh... hahaha." Her laugh was high and tense. She set the cell phones down on the desk, and leaned against it. "Just call me the phone lady," she said. Her hand slipped and she caught herself on the chair before she ended up on the floor again.

She grabbed the phone, trying to give Jennie a reassuring smile.

Jennie blinked once, then walked into her office.

"Dammit – I mean, Hi! This is Ms. Kim's office, how may I help you?"

For his credit, the person on the other side only hesitated a moment. "Hello. I'm calling from Mnet Center's office. I was wondering if it might be possible to reschedule Mr. Han's appointment from three o'clock to one o'clock this afternoon."

"Let me just check the schedule," Lisa said, taking a deep breath to relax. Okay, changing schedules. She was pro at this. A whole course in university was practically "how to change schedules". She logged into the computer with her new password, opened the scheduling program with her other password and waited for the navigation screen to pop up.

Except that it didn't.

What she was looking at was unlike any schedule she had ever seen. It was too complicated.

She was fairly certain a screen at NASA wouldn't even look this complicated.

"Please hold for one moment." She pressed the hold button and set down the receiver.

She scurried over to Jennie's door and knocked.

"Yes?" She opened it and gulped. Jennie was giving her a death glare over the top of her laptop.

"Ah... are you free at 1 o'clock?" Lisa asked nervously.

"I don't know, you tell me." Jennie raised a dainty eyebrow. It was a look that could freeze a person solid.

"Ah..." Lisa backed away. "I'll just figure it out on my own."

She sat back down at the desk and looked at the program. There was no way she was going to figure this out quickly enough.

Ask J-hope, her panicked brain supplied. There was no way a guy that cheerful would tell her off.

She picked up her cell phone and realized that she had never gotten the IT guy's number. Her computer had just summoned him last time. She wasn't up for breaking her computer just to get him to help her figure out the scheduling program. She frantically scanned the numerous buttons on the landline. Magically, there was one labelled "IT department."

She picked up the phone, pressed the button for the second line and then pressed the IT button. Three rings, then,

"Hello?" a deep, gruff, voice on the other end of the line answered.

"Excuse me can I talk to Mr. Hu?"

God, Mr. Hu sounded stupid when she said it out loud.

"Speaking," the person on the other end grunted. It was a low, gravelly voice with very little humour in it.

"You're not J-hope," she said without thinking. That was obvious.

"No," he answered. She waited, but there was no elaboration.

"Ah... is J-hope... there?"

"Yes."

There was an uncomfortably long silence.

"Can I speak to him?"

"Yes." There was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter