Chapter 10

Lisa Manoban, PA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie woke to the incessant chirping of birds digging like sharp needles into her ears. She moved to pull the covers over her head. Her arm made the uncomfortable squelching noise of being peeled away from leather. She groaned and pushed herself up, her face making the same noise as it was pulled away from the couch.

Right. I slept on the couch.

In my clothes.

She sighed as she surveyed the wrinkled fabric of her blouse and slacks. She hadn't even taken off her shoes, and the straps were digging in painfully through her nylons.

The birds kept chirping, reminding her exactly how many beers she had drunk the night before.

She kicked the shoes off and wobbled her way to the bathroom.

She stopped at the door to the bedroom. Lisa was still asleep. How? With all the noise the birds were making, Jennie would have thought it impossible. She had one arm thrown over her head and was snoring with an open mouth. Drool trickled down one side of .

And her hair! Jennie covered , stifling a laugh. If Jennie had thought Lisa's hair unruly before the Mnet party, it was nothing compared to how it was now. It stuck up everywhere, completely defying the laws of gravity.

Jennie could feel that familiar feeling in her gut – anxiety and happiness and a sort of sickening delightful humming – as she looked at Lisa. Affection and, yes, desire. She could name it now.

And that just seemed to make it stronger.

I'll think about that more when I'm not hung-over, she decided and continued to the bathroom.

"Bonjour, Jennie," André said as she entered the dining room. He was thankfully child-free and appeared to be making the rounds to check on the guests. "Comment ça va?"

"Ça va bie-" She stopped herself. That would be an outright lie, if she said she was 'good'.

"Hung-over."

Andre smiled. "Coffee?"

She thought about it. "Could you mix it with hot-chocolate?" Gosh, what had Lisa done to her?

She couldn't even drink coffee normally anymore because of her.

"Sure."

She watched André walk away. He was very tall, muscular. Good strong jaw. Blond hair and brown eyes. He was well dressed in a pressed, button-up shirt and slacks. He was very attractive by all standard definitions.

But not to Jennie.

Dammit.

She sighed and settled herself into a seat in the corner. Well, there went that hope.

As she sipped her cafe-mocha (André had even put whip-cream on it for her) she considered her next move.

She was a lesbian. There, she had said it. Or, at least, thought it in a complete sentence while sober. And she was definitely attracted to Lisa.

What was she going to do about it?

She wasn't going to run back upstairs and profess her undying love to Lisa. Definitely not. That only happened in romance novels of the worst sort. For one thing, she wasn't sure she was that ready to accept things. For another, Lisa was dating Hanbin.

Stupid Hanbin.

She immediately felt ashamed for thinking that. Like Lisa would want to date her, even if she wasn't with Hanbin. She was awkward and rude and completely incapable of acting like a normal person. Lisa deserved to be with someone who would have fun.

Lisa had that person. She had Hanbin.

But...

Lisa knows how to deal with people.

She also knows how to be attracted to girls without spazzing out.

Jennie knew neither of those things. And for the first time, she was interested in learning.

She could control her feelings, couldn't she, and be friends with Lisa? They could be friends, and they could do things that normal friends did. Because when it came to normal friends, Hoseok didn't count. Maybe, if they became friends, Jennie's attraction to her would go away and life would go back to normal. Maybe even better than normal.

After all, she'd kept her feelings to herself for fifteen years. It wouldn't be that hard. She decided to return to their room, where she would calmly ask Lisa to be her normal, not in any way romantic, friend.

Lisa was on the bed with her feet in the air. She was flossing her teeth with one hand, brushing her hair with the other, and trying to use the power of gravity to put her jeans on.

"Erm..." Jennie said. She had stopped dead in the doorway. Lisa stopped moving and stared at her for a moment.

"I thought I was late," she said, as an explanation. "For breakfast."

This is the woman that is making me face my uality?

Her had the Wonder Woman logo on them.

Yup.

Jennie wheeled around, shutting the door before someone else saw this predicament. Her face was burning like a thousand suns. She wanted to bolt from the room, but she held herself. She had promised herself she would ask and she wasn't going to let this off-the-chart reaction to dorky underwear get in the way.

"They serve all day breakfast. It's a resort," she said after she took a few carefully measured breaths. "I just went down early."

She heard Lisa moving very quickly behind her, muttered curses, an 'oops' then 'ouch!'. Jennie looked over her shoulder.

Lisa had – somehow - fallen off the bed. At least she had gotten her pants on.

"Sorry," Lisa said. Her face was as red as a beat.

"It’s... It’s okay. I shouldn't have barged in." She went over and offered a hand, helping Lisa to her feet.

Lisa shrugged and gave an awkward laugh. "Well, we're both women right? Just like a locker room."

Jennie made an indistinct noise. The last time Jennie had been in a locker room, s had been absent from the other girls. And everyone tried to change without actually taking off any clothes, anyway. She quickly dropped the warm, soft hand she still held.

"So did you see my underwear?" Lisa asked, suddenly. "Don't make me use the lasso of truth on you."

The question was so absurd, Jennie let out a bark of laughter. She covered with her hand.

"Sorry," she said, her voice muffled by her palm.

"You realize that I'm going to have to kill you now that you know my shameful secret?" Lisa smirked and grabbed her hairbrush off the bed, heading toward the powder room.

"That you like super heroes?" Jennie asked, confused. After all, she had shown off her love of Call of Duty. She was pretty sure they matched evenly on the scale of nerdiness.

"No, that I like DC better than Marvel."

Another fabulous snort-laugh escaped Jennie.

She followed Lisa to the vanity, unsure of what she was doing. Was she being creepy? But they were having a conversation – that meant she should continue said conversation. Possibly.

Great. Now that she was actively trying to act like a normal human being she had no idea what she was doing.

It was kind of worrying.

"You're in a good mood," Lisa said as she began to brush her hair. "Did you have breakfast without me?"

"André makes a good cafe-mocha," she said. "It might even be better than Tim Hortons."

Lisa laughed, causing Jennie's heart to leap. "Sacrilege!" she cried.

"I think it has real chocolate in it," Jennie added jokingly.

"Did you bring me one?"

Her smile disappeared. . "Ah... I'm sorry. I should have thought of that."

"I'm joking," Lisa said, turning around to roll her eyes at Jennie. "I still need to get breakfast anyway."

Jennie watched as she picked up an elastic and stuck it in before continuing to brush her hair into a ponytail. Now she was just hanging there, watching Lisa like a creeper. She had to ask her, or leave.

Here goes nothing.

"Do you want... I mean we don't have to... it's up to you really..."

Lisa raised an eyebrow in the mirror. Jennie saw her cheeks colour. "Spi' i' ou'," Lisa said, the elastic in slurring her pronunciation.

"Did you want to hang out... with me? Today."

Oh, god, I sound like I'm fifteen. This is why I don't talk to people.

Lisa's hands froze, holding her hair in a ponytail, the elastic still hanging from .

"Never mind, you don't have to," Jennie said quickly. "It was just an idea, since we don't have any meetings today but-"

"Are you kidding?" The elastic dropped to the floor as Lisa's mouth curved into a big grin. "Of course I do! What do you want to do?" Jennie retrieved the elastic for Lisa, watching as she tamed her hair into a loose ponytail that brushed her shoulders as she turned her head side to side. Lisa began to babble excitedly. "I was thinking I'd go swimming later b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter