Chapter 21

Lisa Manoban, PA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lisa kicked her purse, sending it flying across the room. This was not good. Today of all days she should not - could not be scatterbrained and out of sorts.

"ernuts!" she shouted for good measure, hoping the universe would feel her wrath.

There was a bang from the bathroom. Five second later, Jennie ran into the room, her hair half coiled and pinned on her head, the tail of her braid sticking out sideways. "What's wrong?"

Lisa's mouth twitched. Jennie was looking her up and down, as if making sure all her limbs were still in the right place. Okay, that was adorable. Then she pouted. "I can't find my phone!"

Jennie stared at her for a moment, then shook her head. "And that was worth drop-kicking your purse across the room?" she asked calmly, looking at the various odds and ends now splayed around her bedroom.

"Made me feel better," Lisa muttered petulantly, going to pick up the mess. She felt like the universe was against her this morning – first she'd stubbed her toe getting to the bathroom, then she'd discovered her period had started, and now she couldn't find her phone. Exactly what she needed the day of the final meeting before the board vote.

"You probably just left it at the office," Jennie said reasonably, moving to help with the mess.

"With my luck it will be jamming a drawer and I will have to saw my desk in half to get it back. Why are you so calm this morning? Is it because you have a chainsaw?" Lisa asked, trying to keep the huff out of her voice. She wasn't really in the mood to be reasonable.

Jennie shrugged. "It's not worth getting worked up over," she said. Lisa stopped and stared at her. What had gotten into her? Had she somehow stolen all of Lisa's cool while they were sleeping? Jennie laughed at the look on her face.

"What I say today doesn't really matter, does it?" she said, simply. "I've shown what I'm capable of – you've shown what I'm capable of. We did a good job and now it's out of our hands."

"Fine, be all objective," Lisa said, still pouting, but she allowed Jennie to put her arms around her and rested against her. She took a deep breath. "You're right," she said. "I probably just left it at the office."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lisa fidgeted in her seat. They weren't in the board room this time – there were too many people to fit in there. It was an open meeting, and everyone who had an interest in whether or not Jennie would remain as CEO would be there. So they were in a small auditorium. Lisa had taken a seat in the second row. She carefully laid out her tablet, a pack of gum, and her HopeBerry (she had yet to find her iPhone).

She was separated from Jennie, and that was making her anxious. What was with her today?

Why couldn't she have gotten all calm, like Jennie had? She was sitting at the head of the room, chatting with a board member like she did every day. Jennie was back in her crisp white suit and ruffled blue blouse, with the same killer shoes. It was the outfit she was wearing on that first day, Lisa remembered. And she was still just as mind-blowingly attractive as she had been then. Lisa smiled at the memory – she had wanted to ask Jennie out right then and there.

The only thing she had changed was now her hair was down in her long locks, small strands clipped at the side out of her eyes in a confident, impossibly y manner that was nearly enough to make Lisa salivate all on its own.

"Mind if I sit here?"

Lisa jumped, surprised out of her ogling of Jennie. She turned to see a short, portly man in a dark blue suit. It took her a moment to place him – Jung Bokyung, the head of human resources. He was indicating to the empty seat next to her.

"Oh... uh... sure. Yes, of course." Smooth, Lisa. Jennie had told her about Bokyung being her father's best friend. Not exactly the person she wanted to get caught thinking about Jennie in unvirtuous ways around.

"Thank you." He was giving her an odd look as he took his seat.

Act natural. There's no way he can guess that you and Jennie...

"Nervous?" he asked her.

"Oh... yeah. Really nervous." Dammit. "I mean, if Jen... Ms. Kim loses her position, it's no good for me, right?" She laughed. No, wait. Not laughing. Come on, Lisa, act normal.

"I'm sure she'll do just fine," Bokyung said, patting her hand. He was smiling gently, but his eyes were searching. It was like he guessed that there was more to her nerves than worry about losing her job.

She was starting to feel like she might as well have a sign on her forehead that said 'I'm screwing Jennie', and it was with a relieved smile that she noticed Hanbin take the seat in front of her.

"Hey," he said, noticing her. He took in her neatly arranged desk and her tense appearance.

"Stop worrying," he said. "You two have got this in the bag."

Lisa returned the smile he gave her and forced herself to sit back as Mr. Yang took the podium. He was right. Everything would be fine.

She shouldn't have worried – various people presented the same speeches that she had heard before in the meetings. A few employees got up to put in their two cents. The reactions to Jennie's improvements were overwhelmingly positive.

Jennie, of course, was perfect. She was more relaxed than Lisa had ever seen her at work, and she remembered every point of the speech they had prepared. Next to her, Bokyung was glowing with pride. Lisa knew how he felt.

She noticed Mr. Han, sitting at the front of the room. He looked very unhappy, and hadn't made a bad pun all evening. She felt bad for him, almost. After all, he had almost as much at stake as Jennie did. Though, she supposed, he would probably feel better when he had the multibillion dollar payment that was his compensation for his company.

"Before me move onto the question and answer portion," Mr. Yang said finally, "is there anyone else who thinks they have something of import to say?"

Import? Wow, way to sound pompous, Mr. Yang, Lisa thought as she contained an eyeroll.

Hanbin stood up. Lisa gave him a curious look and he smiled back reassuringly.

"What's up?" she asked quietly. He shook his head then turned his attention to the room, waiting for everyone to notice him. The room quieted slowly, those at the front of the room noticing him first then slowly spreading backwards.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the board, shareholders, employees of Kim Royale Corp.," he said, formally. Lisa leaned back in her chair. She flashed a quick smile at Jennie. She hadn't expected Hanbin to speak on their behalf, but it was a nice gesture and certainly couldn't hurt their efforts.

Jennie was frowning slightly.

"We have certainly been presented with excellent arguments for both sides, and I know you are all considering the information available to you carefully. We have searched for a complete picture on what kind of leader Ms. Kim is for the company and I must say that what we have seen so far is certainly promising.

I would be remiss, then, if I did not share with you some information that has very recently come to my attention."

At the head of the table, Jennie was fidgeting, twisting her hands together. What was wrong with her? She'd been fine throughout the rest of the meeting. Hanbin was smiling calmly, like he had practiced these words, and knew what he was going to say was important.

"As we all know, the standards set for a business leader are high, and rightfully so. They are public figures, the face of the company, the decision maker and the one who makes the big bucks -" Lisa giggled into her palm at this. Yeah, that wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter