Back

Undelivered Truth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We have a survivor here,” a firefighter hollered. Sana rushed to him, watching as he grabbed rocks big pile, throwing it elsewhere.

Under the pile, laid Yanan and he was fully awake. Clearly, in a state of shock, he looked around with his innocent eyes, until he caught sight of his mother. He couldn’t help but burst into tears as Sana ran to him, hugging him tightly. 

“Ma’am, we need to check him up,” a paramedic interrupted. 

“WE HAVE ANOTHER SURVIVOR~” his fellow yelled. “Bring me a gurney! Hurry!” 

“Mom, teacher Jason,” cried Yanan. He looked to Chaeyoung’s direction, while guilt struck him. The paramedic carried Yanan to one of many ambulances on scene, while Sana slowly approached Chaeyoung. She watched the firefighters carrying him away from the rubble. His white shirt was fully red from blood, most likely from the open wound on his head that was gushing blood.

“Chaeyoung,” she called lowly as she stood beside him. 

“His heartbeat is weak! We don’t know if he can make it!” One paramedic yelled. “Let’s go! We have to hurry,” he added, rushing to one of many ambulances on site.

Sana accompanied her son to the hospital. She watched as her only child took his treatment, then Jooheon entered the room in panic.

“LEAVE!” She yelled. “YOU WERE ONE OF THE FUNDERS! YOU CONTRIBUTED IN THIS, ALMOST KILLING OUR SON AND HIS CLASSMATES!” 

Jooheon watched his wife rage at him while Hinata tried to calm her down. “Chaeyoung was there too,” she cried and looked up to the ceiling. “God, please save him. Bring him back to me alive and well.” 

Sana no longer cared to remain secretive. She doesn’t care if her husband heard; all she wants now is for Chaeyoung to survive.
~~

Jeongyeon and Momo were waiting for Chaeyoung’s surgery to finish. Sana was there too, sitting in the waiting area with her son’s head on her lap, in a deep sleep. A few scratches can be seen on his arms and head but luckily, it was nothing too serious. Jooheon was staring at him from afar when two police officers crept up from behind him.

“Lee Jooheon?”

“Yes?”

“You need to come with us. Your name came up in the investigation we’re doing in regards to the school collapsing.” 

Jooheon sighed and looked at Sana who returned a look of disgust. The police officer cuffed him and dragged him away.

Sana and Hinata joined Jeongyeon and Momo, both beyond worried. The doctor then came out after what seemed like forever. 

“How is Chaeyoung?” Momo asked.

The doctor sighed. “We did our best but-”

“No, don’t say it,” Sana interrupted him, voice breaking. 

“As the paramedic said, it looks like part of the ceiling fell on his body. He shielded a child with his body and it gravely affected this patient. The anesthetic will wear off soon. I can’t promise that he will wake up. There is a 20% chance that he might wake up this week.” He lowered his head, “I am so sorry.”

Jeongyeon comforted Momo as she sobbed while Sana shook her head in disbelief. “He protected Yanan with his body. He protected his own son,” she teared.

Jeongyeon and Momo heard her clearly and exchanged looks of confusion. Hinata heard too, so he stared at her with a questioning look. “Sana? Are you serious?” 

Sana nodded, looking up at her father. “Chaeyoung is Yanan’s real father. He was and still is the love of my life and nothing will ever change that.” She closed her eyes and cried. “I just hope that he will wake up so I can spend the rest of my life with him and our Yanan.” 

Hinata sighed and caressed her back.
~~
Police station 

Jooheon day in one of the interrogation rooms. It’s been more than five hours since his arrival. One of the investigators left an hour ago, only now returning with a blue folder in hand. He slammed it to the table and sighed. “Lee Jooheon,” he chuckled. “You are in big, big trouble.” 

The sudden rush of uneasiness that hit Jooheon caused him to lean back into his chair. “I demand my lawyer wh-” 

“Even the best lawyer in the world won’t be able to help you out of this,” the detective smiled wickedly. “You’re a scammer. You’re deceitful and a gangster. Where have you been hiding?” Jooheon clenched his jaw and looked down to his lap. “We dug into your phone and skimmed through chats in it. Thank you for exposing the phone numbers of many wanted people!” 

“,” Jooheon cursed under his breath, knowing that he totally screwed up.
~


A few days passed… 

Hinata was at the company’s meeting room alongside his attorney and Sana. 

“I don’t understand. So Jooheon has been stealing from our company for the last five years?” 

The lawyer nodded. “The investigator told me that Jooheon will be sentenced to at least 10 years. He made fake bills and contracts so he can gain money illegally. Let’s not forget to mention his work with gangsters that are involved in big scandals such as drugs and ion. I am sorry, sir, but your son-in-law is a scammer and a thief. He’s been deceiving you all this time. The school incident exposed him and many others. Luckily, no one died from the earthquake. Your company would take the most damage if that happened.” 

“First of all, he is no longer my son-in-law. I want him and Sana to get divorced right now! Second, I want to file a lawsuit against him. Do anything to make him live the rest of his life in jail. He tarnished the reputations of the company, my only daughter, and myself.” The lawyer nodded and left, leaving Sana and Hinata alone. He looked at his daughter who has been pale and down for the last few years. “As soon as Chaeyoung wakes up, tell him the truth and you will be his. I won’t let anyone stand in your way, not even your mother.” 

Sana held her father’s hand and kissed it before she hugged him tightly. She knows she can always rely on him.
~~
Hospital

Yanan is finally discharged. He’s allowed to recover at home, as long as he doesn’t move around too much. Luckily his injuries are minor and aren’t as painful as Sana thinks. 

She is finally allowed to visit Chaeyoung, who is sleeping peacefully on the bed. The machines connected to him always made her cry. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter