Chapter 7

[BLACKPINK - JENSOO] Can't Buy Me Love

This was it. The first party Jisoo was going to attend in her high school year—no, her whole life. Yes, she attended her friends' birthday parties but they only had a minimal amount of guests whom Jisoo hung out with during school. It consisted of her four other friends: Chaeyoung, Wendy, Joy, and Yeri. And let me tell you, it wasn't so fun trying to solve differential equations after only having a single piece of cake, but tonight was surely about to change all of that.

All day, Jisoo had been bickering Jennie for her number so that she could ask her about what outfit she should wear. But the latter repeatedly denied her request until she eventually got fed up with her annoyance and eventually gave in. Admittedly, Jisoo did want Jennie's number so that she could be in constant contact with the girl, but it'd be too embarrassing to actually ask without a valid or sufficient reason. Now here she was sending pictures of her closet to the latter who gave lackluster responses.

Jisoo groaned. "Why is this girl so useless..." She had set out another dress on her bed, on top of the other ten dresses she had laid out prior. Finally, Jisoo had opted for a grey tight-fitted checkered dress which she wore over her white tee; it screamed casual but not too casual and yet a little playful. Basically, it sent mixed signals, just like her date.

She walked out of her disordered bedroom and into the living room where she picked up her black leather jacket along with her mini purse. Her parents clearly took notice of her new look when they both turned their attention to the female.

"Love the new outfit Chu," her mom complimented, pushing down her specs to get a better look at her daughter.

Jisoo laughed, "Thanks mom."

"Where's the guitar sweetie? I didn't see it in your room," her dad inquired as he got up from his reclining chair. 

Jisoo pursed her lips. How was she gonna tell them that she bought a fake girlfriend instead of the guitar she's been pining over since she was a tween. I mean she was also pining over Jennie but she figured having a girlfriend would benefit her more than a guitar.

"I decided to wait for the big boxing day sale," the brunette said, making an adequate excuse.

Needless to say, her father believed it as he picked up another book and sat back down on his chair. 

"Where you off to?" her mother asked, her eyes set on the laptop in front of her.

"I'm going to a party," the teen answered. Jisoo felt some pride in her response since she was used to her parents always badgering her to "do something different," "to live her life freely," and so forth.

"At Chaeyoung's?"

"No actually, it's at Irene Bae's...and I'm going with Jennie Kim," the girl hesitantly disclosed, silently wishing her parents would give a big reaction.  

"Jennie Kim?" her dad repeated. Here was her big reaction.

The girl hummed to confirm, catching her mother's attention once again.

Her mom tilted her head to the side, her face scrunching in confusion. "Senior? Captain of the cheerleading team and the dance team? Most beautiful girl of this town?"

It kind of weirded Jisoo out that her mother knew so much about Jennie's status in school and that last part too. Then again, the girl was a frequent subject for the mothers around her neighbourhood; she was the prime example for all daughters in their town, even some moms started to dress like the teen.

"Yes...? Anyways, I have to go." Jisoo stated, leaving the condo before her mother presses her for answers to her many questions.

The girl walked a few steps down the hall which led her to the other Kim residence. She knocked on the door as she tried to figure out whether leaning on the doorway would make her seem more laidback or weird. The door opened to reveal Jennie's mom who witnessed Jisoo almost tripping over herself after trying to lean on the doorway. The lady laughed at the sight and held Jisoo's arm to prevent the girl from hurting herself any further.

"Jisoo, what brings you here? Did I forget to pay you last week?" the woman asked. Jisoo smiled and bowed, releasing Ms. Kim's hold on her.

"No ma'am, I'm here to pick up Jennie."

The older female looked puzzled at the statement. "Jennie? Not Ella?"

Yeah, Jisoo and Jennie weren't friends but who's to say that they can't hang out? Maybe just about the two thousand people who went to school with her, but that's not that much compared to the population of the earth. 

"Yes, ma'am... your older daughter."

Even after the reassurance the older lady still looked confused but nonetheless still called her daughter. Right before her mother could even finish her name, the girl herself walked past her mother, and began to drag Jisoo down the hall towards the elevator. 

Jisoo popped her head out of the elevator. "B-bye," she shouted down the hall in hopes that Ms. Kim would hear. "Jennie, I didn't get the chance to say good-bye to your mom."

Jennie crossed her arms and leaned against the cold walls of the confined room. "She'll get over it."

Evidently, the cat-eyed girl was upset and Jisoo felt she knew the reason why but didn't know how to address it. Were they already in the stage where they could ask each other such personal questions? Would Jennie suddenly attack Jisoo if the latter dared to ask? Regardless of her many doubts Jisoo still opted to ask. 

"Is something wrong?"

Jennie glared at her, making her rethink her decision. "Did your dad let you use your car?"

Jisoo shook her head and bit her lip, "I didn't ask."

The irritated girl groaned exceptionally loud. "Jisoo, I'm usually picked up or driven in some sort of mechanized transportation."

The brunette was starting to get scared but she empathized with the girl. She knew this frustration wasn't because of her but because of something else. Regardless, she didn't mind taking the hits sourced from this anger.

"I'm sorry, it's just...it's a nice night, Jennie. It's only a few blocks down the road."

Jennie rolled her eyes. "I'm not going on a nature walk," she grunted, as if she had a choice. The metal doors parted and the two walked out towards the exit, Jennie huffing and stomping every step of the way.

"I mean what? We had lunch all week together, I let you stand beside me when we walk. I even took you out for pizza... three times, AND I waved to you at the game yesterday," the teen angrily ranted.

Jisoo didn't want to press it but maybe she needed to in order for Jennie to really let out her emotions. "Nayeon hasn't called?"

"I don't think that's none of your business," the dark-haired teen let out in a softer tone, indicating a slight change of attitude.

Jisoo smiled, noticing the change. "Jennie..." she began, capturing the girl's attention from her pebble-kicking.

"Nayeon was a big-time dancer here, she had no obstacles to overcome because she had already proved herself. But over there, she's just trying to make it. I'm sure she's thinking about you." 

Jennie sighed and dropped her hands in her pocket. "I'm sorry," she admitted.

Jisoo turned her body towards her, walking sideways. "Sorry? I mean I'm the one who forgot my dad's car. It's just that I haven't had that many dates in the last 16, maybe 17 years?"

The joke produced a laughter from her companion.

The brunette cleared and fixed her position, now walking properly. "So, what do you think of this fit? Elegant?" she asked, running her fingers down her dress.

Jennie turned to her direction and looked at her up and down with an amused look. Was that an approval? Jisoo thought.

The two made their way down the block, making small conversation every so often. It felt like Jisoo finally broke down a wall that Jennie put up to defend herself. And even if the night went wrong, the brunette could say that she did at least one thing right...or did she?

-----

"What's a two-word phrase for late and inconsiderate?" Wendy asked aloud as she popped a popcorn in . 

The rest of her friends looked at her in confusion.

"Kim Jisoo," she answered causing Yeri and Joy to laugh. Chaeyoung was unamused because this was her best friend they were talking about. The same best friend who had decided that every Saturday would be their friend group's chill out day/movie night from their weeks worth of homework. But for some reason unknown to Chaeyoung, the girl decided not to show and the red-haired teen had a slight inclination as to why.

"She'll show," Chaeyoung let out, giving the brunette the benefit of the doubt.

Yeri flung a piece of popcorn in Wendy's direction. "Yeah, she's probably having lunch with Jennie and her goons."

Wendy shrugged. "The least she could've done is drop off the soda... juice with popcorn is just not the same."

Chaeyoung shook her head, opting to ignore the negative comments about her best friend. Jisoo...where are you?!

----AN----

Ooooh Jisoo's making progress...