Chapter 16

[BLACKPINK - JENSOO] Can't Buy Me Love

"Jaebum is in the building! Let the fun begin!" the boisterous male exclaimed, holding up his beer packs as he walked through the doorway. Of course, with an introduction like that and with a reputation like his, girls and guys cheered loudly as if he was an idol. Meanwhile, Jisoo remained unfazed, shaking her head as she chugged on her beer bottle.

Ever since that conversation the brunette fell into a deep slum and has been unusually quiet the past few days. Over the preceding weeks, Jisoo tried to apologize to Jennie multiple times but every time she did things got in the way; whether that be untimely events or just plain lack of response from the other. And now, she had a stupid party to attend to—her own party which she would have been overly ecstatic about but with the recent incidents, she just wanted it to be over as soon as possible.

Thankfully, they held the party at Yugyeom's house so that saved her trouble from cleaning up after. This leaves the rest of tonight to intoxicate herself to the point that she forgets everything and anything about Jennie. She wanted to forget how pretty Jennie's eyes glimmer beneath the moonlight, or how much Jisoo liked to delve in the silks of her dark hair, how curves every time Jisoo makes a nerdy pun, and the sound of her giggles, the only sound that Jisoo could never be tired of. She especially forced herself to ignore thoughts about the dark-haired's whereabouts, her state—if she was laughing or crying, but she knew Jennie would never cry over a girl like her, a nerdy girl who tricked hundreds of people into thinking she was something that she wasn't. It was pathetic to even think Jennie cared about her.

'Just forget about her Jisoo.'

So she did.

She walked over to the bar and grabbed the vodka bottle off the counter, chugging it and surprising the spectators around her who cheered her on as she drank to the last drop of liquid. She winced at the burning sensation and shook her head to subdue the muzzy feeling. Jisoo was definitely a lightweight, but that didn't stop her from the countless shots she took. She had a mission and she was going to carry it out.

Coincidentally, Jisoo's subject opted to do the same, except she started a few hours earlier. Jennie didn't care about her image anymore, she cut loose of the last thread saving her reputation and the nerd that used to love her—which she found herself falling for—rejected her. At this point there was nothing else that could push her deeper into the dirt, so she went to Jisoo's party to wreck herself as much and maybe even more than Jisoo. At least with what she had in mind tonight, she wasn't going to be the only one in the dirt.

She planned to at least look good before her final hurrah as the popular cheerleader, so she wore her favourite black bodycon dress with thin spaghetti straps. It definitely earned her some looks as she entered the party and maybe just maybe this dress alone could resurrect her popularity.

Jennie walked over to the punch table and poured herself a cup of a clear liquid beverage. Not that the wine bottle she had earlier hadn't already taken a toll on her conscience.

"Jennie! What's up!" Irene greeted, pouring juice into said clear liquid beverage.

The dark-haired presented her a gummy smile. "This is a pretty powerful punch, Irene."

"I just poured in the punch Jen, that's straight vodka!"

"Alright!" Jennie cheered, holding up her cup.

Her carefree image earned herself a look of admiration from Irene. It seemed that the latter was surprised and intrigued by this unexpected behaviour of Jennie. All throughout high school Jennie always protected her image and all of Irene's reckless acts were frowned upon. Now that the tables have turned, Irene was impressed that even Jennie could have a little fun, she enjoyed this side of the dark-haired female.

"That's a great outfit, Jen!"

"Thanks, I've been saving it for special occasions."

"Definitely worth the wait, you look hot!" Irene complimented, giving her a flattering once-over.

That reinforced some pride in Jennie and got her riled up to chug more of the spiked beverage.

"Mmm, we make a great couple: me and my outfit."

Irene's eyes shot up at the mention of 'couple.'

"Oh yeah, sorry that Nayeon couldn't come home for the holidays. You must really miss her."

Jennie shook her head. Like she cared anymore, everything she had an ounce of care about had left her. "I've learned to appreciate the finer things in life. I even travel with my own wine."

"Classy."

"Mm-hmm. I'm into class. It's my new thing."

Irene eyed her with worry. "Are you sure you're gonna be okay Jen? You're pretty dazed."

Jennie giggled and bobbed her head groggily.

"I'm fine, I just need to go to the washroom," she replied, setting her drink down as she began to make her rounds amongst the multiple doors in the household.

Unfortunately, she had some awkward run-ins with teenagers clawing each other's faces—or maybe they were kissing (hopefully the latter), it was too hazy and too quick for Jennie to get a clearer image but eventually, she managed to finally find the washroom.

"Finally," she mumbled to herself, opening the door slightly but stopped when she heard a familiar voice.

She steadied herself and leaned against the wall, peering through the small crack and spectating the two restroom tenants from the mirror's reflection. She blinked repeatedly, trying to dissuade herself of the sight she saw: it was Jisoo with some blonde (who she assumed to be Seulgi since they were eye-ing weeks prior) straddling her on top of the toilet, peppering each other with kisses.

Undeniably, she was hurt at the sight but she was hurt even more from the words they exchanged.

"Jis, I'm so happy I'm going out with the hottest girl in school," Seulgi admitted, cupping the brunette's cheeks for another kiss.

Jisoo hummed a little too happily for Jennie. "I am hot, and that's why you're with me," Jennie heard her say.

Seulgi pulled back from her neck kisses, "No. You won't respect me."

The brunette looked up at her. "I respect you. Immensely," she said, pulling the blonde in for another kiss. "And intensely."

The blonde leaned back, vehemently staring into Jisoo's eyes. "You do?" she asked for reaffirmation.

"I do," Jisoo said, her lips trailing closer to Seulgi's ears.

Jennie wanted to leave, heck she should have but an unspecified force impelled her to stay. She knew she made the wrong decision when Jisoo opened her lips once again.

"This summer, my wish is for you to hold me..." the brunette uttered, allowing herself to be pelted with kisses.

Jennie's hands curled, her knuckles turning white but she forced herself to stay put. She hoped that Jisoo would somehow fix this in the way that she usually does, but she hasn't been doing that these few weeks and that was another mistake she made, believing.

"In your arms...In a sea of deep blue."

The words left the brunette's mouth as if it were her own poem, not Jennie's. This was something special that Jennie only shared with Jisoo and she couldn't believe that the latter would be using this as a method to get into someone's pants. At this point Jennie was beyond furious; she stormed off, in the tears that urged their way out and marched towards the kitchen where she continued to get buzzed.

Just when she thought things couldn't get worse, the presence of someone significant arrived.

-----

"Nayeon what is up?!" Jackson hollered, pulling the smaller girl in for a short embrace as he lead her into the house.

The brunette smiled, returning the hug and walked towards the living room in hopes of seeing a certain dark-haired. Instead, her eyes caught onto an unexpected sight of Seulgi latching onto a familiar nerd.

She smacked Jackson's arm. "What's up with Seulgi's latest victim?" she asked.

Jaebum laughed from behind and followed her line of vision. "Oh, you got it backwards, Nayeon. She's victimizing her."

Nayeon eyed him suspiciously. "Jisoo Kim?"

Jaebum and Jackson nodded, flashing Jisoo a thumbs up which the brunette returned with a smile.

"She's dated every wench in the school," Jackson added.

Nayeon chuckled enthusiastically but stopped when she caught the serious stares on the boys' faces. "Jisoo Kim couldn't get nailed in woodshop."

Jackson shrugged. "Well, the lady has reached legendary status this year."

Nayeon's eyebrows furrowed. "You ain't a legend 'til you score the captain of the cheerleaders," she commented.

Almost immediately, the two males looked down on the ground. Honestly, they thought that Nayeon already knew, it seems she didn't and they didn't want to break it to her.

Nayeon quickly took notice of the awkward aura and shook her head, laughing.

'They're joking,' she thought.

"Yall are funny, I don't buy it."

She saw no changes in their facial expression she began to worry.

"Jen?" she asked a little more sternly.

They didn't respond, eyes remaining anywhere but on Nayeon. They had to be playing a joke.

"No ing way," she uttered through gritted teeth. She clasped onto the lapels of Jaebum's jacket and pulled him closer, "JB don't even think of joking with me or I will kill you."

Jackson gripped onto Nayeon's arm in attempts to calm her down but it seemed to fade when she heard her name being called from an unmistakable voice. Her head snapped towards the noise and moved once she caught sight of Jennie drooping side to side.

The girl clutched onto Jennie's wrist and dragged her towards a confined room. Although confined, it had very thin walls.

Jackson and Jaebum snorted before falling into a fit of laughter. Meanwhile, Irene and Lisa craned their heads closer to the thin walls. Everyone heard their muffled argument and it soon became an entertainment for the party.

All eyes turned towards the room withholding the broken couple, and everyone fell into silence once they emerged.

"I'm not putting up with it!" Nayeon bellowed, walking away from Jennie.

The dark-haired followed after. "We were faking, okay?"

"Bull!"

"It was an act. Nayeon, she paid me!"

Nayeon scoffed. "Then that makes you a e."

Jennie remained planted, unable to form words and she stood there watching the retreating figure until it disappeared into the crowd.

She looked around the household where everyone's eyes etched onto her. She looked around until she fixated it on the one person who caused this whole mess, Jisoo.

"You," she let out, eyes now turning to Jisoo.

She marched towards her, stopping the music along the way. Now everyone's attention is on them.

Jennie let out the tears she was restricting. "You!" she repeated, but with more spite. "Even Nayeon thinks we went out!"

Jisoo didn't respond or at least she couldn't. She was frantic; all that was running through her head were panicked thoughts and what her defense would be when Jennie reveals their secret.

The dark-haired laughed. "Great, huh?"

"All of you thought that we..." her hands gestured towards the both of them. "That we were a couple! What a joke!"

The brunette's face slowly reddened and she felt Seulgi unclasping herself off of her, inching her way away from Jisoo until it was just the female herself. She was defenseless and could not be prepared for the blow that Jennie was gonna hand to her. The dark-haired warned her—advised her about the consequences of popularity but she never knew what it really meant. Now, who else would be better to cause her downfall? It was none other than the girl who created her.

So Jisoo stood, watching, anticipating, accepting her foreseeable future. She just waited until she heard the exact words that would send her plummeting to the magma of the earth. Because that's what losing popularity is like: drowning in a bottomless pit of fire. In other words, constant torture.

"Jisoo Kim..."

'Here it goes.'

"Paid me..."

'I hope they have fried chicken in hell.'

"One thousand dollars..."

'Goodbye popularity, it was nice while it lasted.'

"To pretend that I liked her. What a deal huh?" Jennie finished, earning gasps and bulging eyes from spectators all around.

They all murmured in light conversation, but they all held the same subject of criticizing Jisoo.

Jennie laughed, feeling the sudden reigning power in her fingertips. It was as if all the popularity that Jisoo drained from her immediately returned. She was carrying a different aura, she was beaming with confidence and she was ready to strike at Jisoo.

She flicked away the tears that dribbled on her skin, smirking at the sight of a fearful and fragile Jisoo. In the same way, she regained her confidence, Jisoo lost hers, making her quite a pitiful sight. Jennie knew what everyone thought of her now and she was revelling in the brunette's despair.

"One thousand to go out with her for a month. This girl," she snapped, her eyes reforming into a menacing glare that drew Jisoo to withdraw towards a wall.

Jennie turned around. "She bought me and she bought all of you."

She turned back to the Jisoo whose knees began to crumble. The brunette was having a hard time supporting herself against the wall but she managed to stay standing.

Jennie leaned in closer to her face, making sure Jisoo would remember whose eyes she stared at when she lost everything she ever wanted. "She was sick, and tired of being a nobody."

She saw Jisoo shake her head, pleading to have mercy on her but when you toy with Jennie Kim's heart, mercy will be the last thing she will give.

"She said that all of you guys would worship her if we went out."

Jennie flashed her a smirk. "She was right. Our little plan worked didn't it Jisoo?"

The dark-haired leaned back, staring down at Jisoo who was now sitting against the wall looking like someone drained the life out of her. It was exactly how you saw it in the movies: a defeated villain with an almost unscathed mighty, potent protagonist looking down at them.

"What a bunch of followers you guys are," she said, twisting her body towards her fellow classmates.

"At least I got paid."

She stormed away from the crowd, Irene and Lisa following behind. Meanwhile, Jisoo stood up, glancing up at Jackson and Jaebum who looked away. She forced herself to smile and not breakdown right then and there, she passed by Yugyeom who shook his head at her.

"Get out of my house," he uttered.

"We'll clear everything up tomorrow. Everything is cool, really," she said to no one because no one would believe her even if they all listened. She was now known as the girl who fooled everyone, who made everyone look like idiots, and now there was no way that anyone would be foolish enough to trust her again.

At least the ones who didn't know the 'true' her.

----AN----

Almost done!!!