Chapter 17

[BLACKPINK - JENSOO] Can't Buy Me Love

Jisoo hauled herself home, dejected. All alone, she walked under the obscurity of the night, the only source of light being the street lamps and the faint glow of the moonlight.

With every step of the way home, she thought about every possible mistake she made that lead her to have such an unfortunate fate like tonight. Was it during the break up when she acted too cocky? Or when she disregarded Jennie's advice because she was too consumed with the idea of having a reputation? Maybe it was the time when she suddenly broke all contact with the dark-haired. But no, these thoughts were just excuses, because she knew that from the very beginning, this lie would eventually come back to bite her in the . That was her first mistake: living out a fantasy that was never meant for her.

The brunette sighed, a puff of smoke emitting from her lips—a mixture of warmth and coldness reflecting her internal emotions.

She fought back the tears that urged to fall but failed when she ultimately broke down in the silence of her room. She was completely alone: there was no posse, no popularity, worst of all there was no Jennie. In addition to her misery, she couldn't bring herself to reconcile with her best friend especially after her repeated mistreatment towards her. Ultimately, she didn't want to go to school; transferring was taken into consideration but that would make her look cowardly and she didn't want to risk the only thing she had left: her grades.

But even that wouldn't tempt her to go to school tomorrow.

So she didn't.

-----

For the past week, Jisoo skipped school. She successfully excused her absences of having extreme pain during shark week and asking her mom to pick up her assignments on her way home from work. This way, she is up to date with her homework without actually going to school. But she knows that she will unavoidably have to return to the institution, she just wanted to be prepared when she did.

Aside from doing her homework, she spent her remaining time plotting how to right her wrongs, starting with Jennie and she would be doing it tomorrow.

-----

Jisoo strolled down the halls, eyes roaming the floor, avoiding all the glares pointed in her direction.

'Seems like the news hasn't died down,' she thought.

She was here to make amends to all those she wronged, she couldn't spend the year avoiding them and she didn't want to spend the rest of the year avoiding her.

During the past week, Jisoo found that Jennie (along with Chaeyoung) was the only one who understood her and was the only one who wanted to protect her. It was Jisoo's fault for disregarding her and all of her warnings. She realizes it now and it's stupid how slow it was for her to realize it when it no longer matters because she knows that the other doesn't care anymore.

But she doesn't care, she'll make it up to Jennie somehow and anyhow. Even if it means having to persist through the judgemental stares drilling her face all year long.

"Damn, she is in Siberia," she heard a student comment as she passed him, making her way to homeroom.

She shook her head, hoping to eventually get used to these snide comments.

"Even the mutants don't want to go near her," the person standing beside bully number one said.

It was true, everywhere she stepped people scurried away. At first, she was hurt by it, but she found the comfort of not having to swim through crowds much preferable than tomatoes or eggs being thrown her way, not that it happened...yet.

-----

Jennie watched the brunette saunter around the tables of the cafeteria in attempts to find a free spot. She doesn't know why she still finds herself worrying about the girl when she was the one who played her. But she did and she couldn't help but stare at the helpless female.

All morning she found herself glancing in Jisoo's direction, watching her force a smile on her face as she accepted the mocking stares and comments that went her way. Even when she was the subject of insolence she returned their hateful comments with kindness, never hostile always cordial. It was one of the qualities Jennie loved the most.

'Loved,' Jennie thought. Even if she did, she still couldn't bring herself to forgive Jisoo just yet, so she remained content with watching her from afar; analyzing, scrutinizing how Jisoo returns to her old self.

"You know, I knew he was scamming us all along," Irene let out, earning an eye roll from Jennie.

'Like hell she did.'

"He went from like totally chic to totally geek," Lisa added.

Jennie ignored the rest of their remarks, opting to actually absorb herself in homework instead. How unusual of her.

-----

Like Jennie, Chaeyoung watched Jisoo. They were no longer friends but it still hurt her to see the female so forcefully untroubled. She's been friends with Jisoo long enough to know that Jisoo is very much affected by the behaviour she was receiving, but she knew that Jisoo was strong and would never let her true emotions show. Still, she pitied her but she couldn't do anything about it nor did she want to.

"Well, well. Look at that. She's been banished!" Wendy announced, sliding onto the bench in front of Chaeyoung.

"She should have known that our kind won't mix with their kind," Joy added, munching on her salad.

Chaeyoung shook her head. "Our kind? Their kind? That's BS. She may be a moral leper now but she had the fast lane for four months."

The red-haired didn't know why she was trying to defend Jisoo, maybe it was the innate reflex of helping her best friend out when she needed it.

Wendy nodded. "That's a good point, two hundred fifty dollars a month for those cheerleaders isn't an unwise investment."

It relieved Chaeyoung that they didn't continue to ridicule Jisoo even if she deserved it.

-----

"Incoming!" she heard from behind her following after a scrunched up brownie landing on her food tray. She heard multiple snickers but she didn't give them what they wanted, instead, she just nodded, dismissed the incident altogether.

She took a bite from her sandwich, silencing the comments she overheard. She stopped munching when a spherical shadow shrouded her sunlight. Looking up, she greets a grinning female whose body was rounder and bigger in size compared to hers.

"Hi," Jisoo said, smiling. 'At least someone's showing me some decency here.'

The girl inched closer, practically towering over Jisoo's small frame. "Didn't you take economics? You could've had me for forty-nine ninety-five," she joked, earning laughter from all around. The girl departed her side leaving Jisoo to dwell on her mistakes, heat creeping up her neck, prompting her to leave the vicinity altogether.

-----

It was finally the end of the school day and went to visit the library where Chaeyoung frequently studied. They hadn't spent a lot of time together recently but that didn't mean she didn't know her best friend's unchanging routines.

This was where she first made her mistake: neglecting her best friend.

The brunette gripped onto the door handle, hands trembling as she pushed it open. She walked towards the back of the library, the area where she usually found Chaeyoung sitting on the window sill, catching up on her homework or her comic books. And just as she expected, there she was, her head deep in a comic book, a stack of volumes beside her feet too indulged to even notice Jisoo's presence.

Jisoo coughed, finally catching her attention but nonetheless ignoring her, eyes darting back to the book.

Chaeyoung pulled out wired earphones from her pockets and stuck it in her ears, attempting to act like she was listening to music when in fact Jisoo knew that she had no songs downloaded on her phone. It was something Chaeyoung never learned how to do; Spotify was definitely accessible but it enraged her to think you have to pay more money to listen to music.

Jisoo took a step forward, Chaeyoung moving the book to block her vision of the brunette.

"You could at least acknowledge my existence," Jisoo exclaimed, tiptoeing in attempts to meet the girl's eyes.

Chaeyoung's pair remained planted on the caricatures drawn on the pages.

Jisoo huffs. She shouldn't be getting angry, she's the one at fault but she's annoyed, desperate.

"I know I was an to you and to thousands of others. But Chaeng..."

She moves forward, her frame towering over the red-haired until she kneels beside the girl, finally obtaining Chaeyoung's attention. She was scowling but at least she looked in Jisoo's direction.

Jisoo didn't know whether she should make a run for it or just melt under Chaeyoung's fiery glare. The brunette has only seen this side of Chaeyoung once but it was only for a brief moment when she accidentally damaged Chaeyoung's signed kpop album.

"Chaeng, it's you I have to straighten this out with."

The red-haired got up, clenching the collar of Jisoo's shirt, bringing her up and slamming her body against the wall. Jisoo understood that Chaeyoung was mad but not this mad, it didn't matter anyway, she deserved every beating that came her way.

"You on my house Soo," the girl uttered, her seething emotions evident through her glossy eyes.

Jisoo can't help but reflect the same sensitive emotion, her eyes b with water. "I know, but Chaeng—"

The girl released her hold on Jisoo, turning away as she tugged on her own earphones. "Go."

"Chaeng..."

"You on my house!" she said, picking up her belongings.

"I know Chaeyoung," Jisoo admitted through silent sobs.

She knew that she couldn't do anything to change Chaeyoung's mind right now, but at least the latter knew she meant her apologies or at least she hoped she knew.

Now there was another person she had to make amends with. But not today, not after the waterworks that wouldn't stop.

Tomorrow she will face the biggest enemy of her heart.

----AN----

One more chapter and I think I'll make an epilogue.