Chapter 5

[BLACKPINK - JENSOO] Can't Buy Me Love

Jennie stared at the presumed insane girl— the girl who she had not talked to but only seen at her house because her mother considers this girl more of a daughter than she was. To say she was confused was understatement, she really was considering of calling a mental hospital for this person.

"You want to buy me?" Jennie repeated, trying to confirm that she didn't mishear the request.

Jisoo pressed her lips together. "Well, not buy...more like rent."

Okay she really is mental. "Are you insane?!" she yelled.

"Hear me out..." Jisoo began, taking a step back from the sudden return of infuriated Jennie. "You pretend you like me and we go out for just a few weeks. Then that will make me popular."

The dark-haired teen was seriously contemplating of driving her to a mental institution herself. "Just going out with me is not gonna make you popular," she advised.

"Well I have a thousand dollars that says it will." Jisoo did not know where this new found confidence came from but she was liking it, and she was starting to speculate that Jennie was willing to do it.

"I think you've been getting too comfortable around me." Jennie commented in an intimidating tone, hinting that Jisoo should reconsider who she was talking to.

At first the latter was about to back out, but she was too deep to turn back. If she did, Jennie could easily make the rest of her senior year hellish with this deranged proposition.

"You're right," Jisoo admitted, then turning to the female worker who just spectated this insane discussion. "I believe we have decided against purchasing the outfit."

The worker rolled her eyes and mumbled out an "Okay."

As soon as Jennie saw the worker beginning to unwrap the box and Jisoo making her way out of the store, she quickly changed her mind. "Wait!"

Jisoo wore a vexatious grin before offering Jennie a soft smile that intended to be more annoying. "Yes?"

The cat-eyed girl huffed through her nose and closed her eyes to gather her composure. "Fine," she grunted. 

Internally Jisoo was celebrating but she maintained this excitement and walked over to the counter to purchase the dress.

Jennie leaned on the counter and faced Jisoo, clearly annoyed of the girl's presence, "Deal is we only pretend to hang, no hand holding, no kissing and I get my lunch hour off."

"Wait a minute. I need more return on my investment."

"Well there's no way I'm holding your hand in public."

"I completed 286 tutor sessions for you!" Jisoo argued. It wasn't really for Jennie, but she needed to say whatever to make her point.

"Okay one lunch!"

Jisoo looked at her sardonically, "Really? There are five school days in a week."

"Alright Jaesoo, two lunches."

"Three lunches... and the pep rally on Friday."

Jennie stared at her appalled. "Four lunches, that's it!" 

"Okay deal... be at school tomorrow at 8:05" Jisoo knew she could no longer reason with the girl. Yes, she had slight doubts of Jennie bailing but she felt something that cleared her doubts. "Oh and also my name is Jisoo."

The girl offered her an indifferent smile. Maybe Jisoo was wrong about that feeling after all, she'll still give the girl the benefit of the doubt.

-----

Beep! 

Jisoo looked down on her digital watch plastering the numbers "8:05" on it. Where is she?! All morning the girl was frantic and scared that she was robbed of her money and that she would face the next nine months being repeatedly tortured and embarrassed by Jennie and her hooligans. She even woke up extra early to pick out an outfit that she thought was considered "cool" or "trendy" and she ended up wearing a black zipped up hoodie with a white t-shirt, diy ripped blue jeans and some black boots her mom gave her that had "Doc Martens" branded on  them. What a weird name. 

Jisoo paced in front of the entrance, tightening her ponytail every few minutes, she had this sort of habit when she was nervous. But that nervousness was soon replaced with relief when Jennie herself walked through the red doors amongst the many students that entered the building. Almost immediately, Jisoo ran up to her, causing the brunette to exit as fast as she entered the building with the former following behind. 

"I was afraid you weren't gonna meet me," Jisoo admitted.

Jennie walked towards an area where they couldn't be seen together, specifically behind some bushes by the staircase. "Chill out Jisoo, you said 8:05, I'm here aren't I? Relax anyway, it's only school."

"Yeah well this is not my average opening day. I'm about to walk the cool hallway. I usually go to the long one, through the library."

Jennie leaned against the brick wall of the staircase. "Would you ease up? I mean I'm the one who's gonna have to hold a press conference when we're seen together, right?"

"Right."

Jennie eyed the girl in front of her, looking her up and down with a quizzical expression. "We have got to do something about this." She motioned to Jisoo's body.

Jisoo looked down at her own attire. "What about it?"

The ebony-haired girl walked up to Jisoo, ping her hoodie, taking out her ponytail along with a pair of scissors from her backpack, then using it to trim the white shirt to expose Jisoo's abdomen. Jennie analyzed her face, and removed Jisoo's glasses, placing it in her purse.

"Jennie, I'm nearsighted!"

The girl shrugged, "Who cares? We'll get you contacts after school."

After a few more alterations, Jennie stepped back to admire her artwork. "There."

Jisoo sighed, slightly annoyed at the sudden damage to her property. "Just remember, this is our sworn secret for life or longer. You promise"

"Yeah, I promise. I mean how bad could it be? It's only one week."

"One month," Jisoo corrected.

"Yeah that's what I said. One month."

Jennie moved past her towards the entrance. "Let's do this."

Immediately, as soon as the two were seen together, a myriad of perplexed expressions went their way, including Jennie's own hooligans.

"Who's the chick with the eugh brows?" Jaebum asked as the pair passed his trio.

"It's that loser Jisoo," Yugyeom answered. "I don't get it."

"It must be for charity," Jackson suggested, shrugging as he and his friends continue to ogle at the first place WOD trophy behind the glass case.

Meanwhile, Jennie's trio seemed to take a bit more liking to the new appearance. "Is that Kim Jisoo with Jennie?" Irene pointed out as the two came closer to Lisa and her.

"No way! It must be a trans.....fer," Lisa let out, her eyes  moving from the vending machine to the pair.

"Wrong and I think I'm puking," Irene commented, quiet enough for only Lisa to hear. The two quickly displayed amicable expressions once Jennie halted in their presence.

Jennie gave a forced but somewhat genuine smile, "Hey Irene, Lisa. You all know Jisoo."

Lisa spoke out first, "Yeah I think. Didn't you like use to tutor my sister?"

"Yes, she's quite perspicacious. I'm surprised she quickly picked up on Chapter 12 of Calculus...and Chapter 7 of AP Biology. She should've tutored me actually," Jisoo admitted.

"Pepsi-what?" Lisa asked.

Jennie quickly picked up on how fast this conversation was falling apart and made a quick escape. "I'll see you guys in Home Ec, okay?" she said before walking past them, Jisoo once again following behind. She should really ask for a gesture or signal to indicate when the female would start moving, but then again, normal people should base this off of instincts.

"What did she say?" Lisa inquired once more.

"I don't care, but I do like her shirt." Irene responded.

Jennie and Jisoo walked towards the end of the hallway until the former came to a stop. She turned to Jisoo,  somewhat contemplating  about what to say.

"I'll see you later," Jennie uttered before heading to her locker, giving Jisoo an indication to leave her alone. The two parted ways and went to their individual classes, Jisoo's being AP Bio.

-----

Ring!

"Okay class! Any interesting experiments this summer?" Ms. Park asked the class.

One of Jisoo's friends stood up, Wendy. The girl adjusted her glasses and pulled up her pants,  "I grew  spores and fungi  in  my parents' fridge this summer."

"Now she's homeless," Jisoo mumbled to Chaeyoung who sat beside her.

Chaeyoung offered her a judgemental look, but shook it off and sighed. "How come you didn't meet me in the library?" she whispered.

"Sorry I forgot. First day and all." The brunette answered.

Chaeyoung analyzed the sudden change of appearance and behaviour, more on the former. "What's  with the weird outfit?"

Jisoo laughed and pulled on her t-shirt. "It's a designer original"

The chipmunk rolled her eyes. She was clearly not taking a liking to this  boastful behaviour but nonetheless still minded it. "How's Ji-Eun's guitar?"

"I didn't exactly buy it yet." The girl admitted, then turning her body towards her friend. "A thousand dollars is a great deal to part with, and I don't—"

"Ms. Kim, you seem quite talkative this morning. Why don't you recite the bones of the upper appendicular skeleton?" the teacher suggested, more like ordered.

Jisoo mentally cursed herself and got up from her seat, followed by "oohs" and laughter from her fellow classmates.

"All sixty-four," the teacher added as she opened her textbook.

The girl wished it was lunch already.

-----

Jennie's home economy class was filled with entertainment and aromatic scent of burnt food and grease. Her partner, Yugyeom was busy cracking an egg open while the girl was chopping some carrots for the recipe. The boy took the egg yolk and swallowed it, burping to further enhance the repugnance of his character . 

"You are such a pig!" Lisa announced, followed by laughter from Irene and Jennie. Jaebum and Jackson crowded in their area, while Lisa and Irene sat atop the kitchen counters. 

Irene looked at her friends, all of them avoiding contact or were too busy molding ingredients into sculptures. "Well!" she let out, breaking the silence. Jennie winced, knowing what was to come. "Since you're all wimping out, I'll get to the main issue here."

Irene inched closer to her friend. "Jennie, what were you doing with the loser?"

Jennie looked at the girl, "We're friends."

"Since when?" Jaebum interrupted as he popped one of Jennie's minced carrots in his mouth.

"Excuse me Jennie...Friends? Come on." Lisa commented.

Jackson stood between the two girls, "What about Nayeon?"

"Yeah come on. We just want some answers, all right?" Yugyeom added.

Jennie set her utensils down and faced the group, crossing her arms as she did so. "Guys, look at my forehead. Do you see a sign that says "information?"

"Oooh," Jaebum let out with a laughter, while the others retreat into their own activities. 

"I didn't think so," the brunette commented, picking up the knife once more.

This was how it was, Jennie's word against anyone's. If Jennie says and demands it one way, it will be done. Being the girlfriend of the most praised, most popular, most successful person of their school, she was basically heiress to the school's throne. So, no one would dare question her authority, even if she was lying straight to their faces.

----AN----

I feel like I'm writing a last minute fifteen page essay. Sorry for the mistakes.