Chapter 11

[BLACKPINK - JENSOO] Can't Buy Me Love

Jennie couldn't sleep last night so instead, she spent it thinking. She didn't know how she dwelled on it but all night she thought about how great Jisoo was and how much of an idiot she would be to let her slip away. She didn't know how she became like this either; it was as if Jisoo had cast a spell on her and she could no longer escape her grasp even if she wanted to. All night, she thought about Jisoo—her eyes, her smile, her laugh, she thought about her to the point it frustrated her. So she made a decision. Tomorrow, she would talk to Jisoo and call off the break-up and confess her feelings, hoping that Jisoo would feel the same way.

So here she was, strutting her way over to the brunette who had quite a small crowd around her. All of them laughed at her antics, regardless of what it was, it seemed to be very funny.

'Come on Jennie' the brunette thought, gathering up some courage to convey her feelings.

Eventually, she found herself inches from Jisoo who had dismissed the crowd, giving all her attention to the frantic brunette. Jisoo beamed at her in the way that caused her worries to go away. She could do this and she felt it in her heart.

"Hey," she uttered.

"Hey," Jisoo repeated, still smiling.

I swear if Jennie was made of pudding she'd probably look like melted goo on a sidewalk.

The brunette cleared . "Um, I did a little thinking about last night..." she began.

Jisoo hummed, indicating that she was fully listening.

"And um, I think that now is the time that we had our little talk."

The other brunette nodded. "About what?"

Jennie found it hard to admit her feelings. What if Jisoo didn't like her back? What if she only wants to be friends? A myriad of concerns flashed in her brain but all of them disintegrated with a single touch from Jisoo. The girl rubbed her arm to calm her, and her eyes flashed a look of consolation as if saying that everything is alright.

"Us!" she finally managed to get out. "You know, me and you."

Jisoo's eyes glanced side to side, surveying the crowd nearby.

"Now?"

Jennie bobbed her head in response.

"Okay, great."

Jisoo cleared , moving to the other side of Jennie, increasing the little distance they had.

The brunette looked around and placed her hands on her hips. Jennie only responded with a perplexed look.

"Well, um, I did a little thinking too!" the girl bellowed, catching the attention of students nearby. "No! I did quite a bit of thinking! And I decided that you're breaking me."

Jennie narrowed her eyes, still confused. 'What is she doing?' she thought.

"What?" she said aloud.

Jisoo pulled out her wallet, the one that Jennie recently bought her. "I'm broke, bankrupt. This. I'm dry." she confessed, presenting her with the empty wallet. "I can't keep up with you. I'm not a bank."

Jisoo moved closer and momentarily smirked. "They love it," she whispered, only low enough for Jennie to hear.

Jennie gripped her arm tightly. "Would you stop it, please?" she requested through her gritted teeth. "This isn't dignified."

"Dignified?!" the brunette repeated only a bit louder to please the audience around them. "For one month you draped all over me like a cheap ing suit!"

The last statement garnered some jeers and laughter from the spectators which angered Jennie even further.

Jennie pulled the girl closer. "This is not necessary. Would you show some maturity?"

The brunette scoffed and crossed her arms. "Like your precious Nayeon?"

The statement struck a part of Jennie's heart in a way that she could have never imagined. She didn't know whether it was breaking due to the mention of the girl's name or if it's because Jisoo used it against her.

"Y-yeah," she managed to utter.

Jisoo nodded a little too boastful. "Well, if I was as mature as him, I probably wouldn't have called you either."

Pang! Another strike to Jennie's heart. 'She's joking...she has to be," she thought.

"I'm tired of you comparing me to Bobby, and I'm tired of you," the girl admitted. "Period!"

Jennie knew that Jisoo was only doing this for a show but she couldn't help but feel so emotionally distraught about it. Even for Jisoo, this was a new low.

She fought back the tears that attempted to escape, saying nothing but taking a hand to slap Jisoo's face. She didn't know what prompted her to do it but she was glad she did. She was an and everything she thought of the girl was a complete and utter misconception.

The action earned gasps and chuckles from the students which made Jennie realize that she needed to leave. She walked away from the plaza and in doing so she heard the cheers and applause that only reminded her of what Jisoo wanted: attention.

Not too far from the scene were her best friends who looked at her sympathetically as she scurried past them.

"Poor Jennie. It's awful the way Jisoo annihilated her," Irene commented.

The blonde beside her nodded. "I know. I mean, I don't know what she ever saw in her," she said, glancing over to Jisoo who suddenly looked really y in her tight black jeans. "She's such a...a heartbreaker."

Irene bobbed her head, biting her lip as she joined Lisa in gawking at Jisoo. "Yeah. That's it."

Meanwhile, Jisoo had reanalyzed the encounter. Did she take it too far? Why did Jennie smack her like that? Yes, it did make it look realistic but did she upset the girl? Worries scurried from the back of her mind and she wanted nothing else to do but console the girl. However, she was stopped by a hand on her shoulder. She turned around to see Jaebum, grinning proudly at her.

"Jisoo! You are a badass!" he gushed, squeezing her shoulders, then proceeding to sling his arm over them. He leaned in closer to Jisoo's ear. "Hey, listen. You don't mind if I try to get tired of Cindy now that you're finished with her, do you?"

Jisoo knitted her eyebrows, somewhat angry since this person is considered to be one of Jennie's closest friends. And the audacity to suggest such a thing? It made Jisoo angry. But what could she do, she just got rid of the girl herself, it wouldn't take a few more seconds before others try to follow in her footsteps.

"No, go ahead," she reluctantly suggested.

"Loved it, baby!" Jaebum flashed her another smile before catching up with the rest of his goons.

In spite of the desired outcome, Jisoo still felt a little remorseful for the way she acted. So with some resolve, she decided to apologize to Jennie after school.

-----

Jisoo didn't know how she would patch things up with Jennie but she knew she had to do something. So she went to a bookstore after school and purchased a black leather folder in hopes that Jennie could use it to store her poetry. She attempted to give it to Jennie after her dance practice but the girl ignored her and scurried to her car, driving off to her—their apartment building.

'She must be really upset,' Jisoo thought as she rode her bike behind the red convertible in front of her.

In time, Jennie pulled up to her mom's parking space with Jisoo trailing close. Evidently, Jennie didn't want to talk to her as she refused any form of contact with the brunette, hurriedly grabbing her belongings from the car. But Jisoo knew she had to say something, anything.

The brunette got off her bike. "That slap was so real. We are talking Oscar nomination," she divulged. She thought it would have been better to ease into the conversation.

Jennie hummed, her hand clutching onto the strap of her shoulder bag. She refused to make any eye contact with Jisoo and remained her attention to the ground. If she took a glance at those eyes, she knows she would have easily forgiven the brunette, even if she knew that what she did was wrong.

"Yeah, well....we gave 'em a good show."

Jisoo beamed at the unexpected response. It wasn't the thing she wanted to hear but it was reassuring. "The audience loved it. Thank you again. It was an excellent four weeks. Your friends really took to me, all because of you."

Jennie scoffed and shook her head. "Jis, it's fine, it was like a job."

The girl walked towards the entrance of their building. "I mean, you bailed me, and..." she stopped in her sentences when she caught a glimpse of Jisoo's eyes which she expected to be behind her and not in front of her. 'Don't break Jennie. Don't break.' she thought.

"and, I pretended to like you," she uttered. She brought her eyes back to the floor and continued to walk as Jisoo strutted backwards. "And I was only honouring our rental contract."

Jisoo nodded excitedly, holding the door for Jennie as she entered. "Yeah, well, it worked and geez, popularity sure beats being treated like a social leper. Let me tell you."

The cat-eyed brunette halted in her footsteps, pressing the elevator button to go up. She didn't want to hear Jisoo being into this illusion of popularity, the same illusion in which she caught herself.

"Popularity isn't perfect," she admitted, her eyes roaming to Jisoo's. If she was gonna lose Jisoo, she shouldn't allow the girl to lose herself. "I mean, it almost feels like a job sometimes."

Ding! They both entered the confined space.

"Do you remember that outfit that I wore?" Jennie asked with Jisoo bobbing her head. "Yeah, well, that was me trying to impress people. I have to work at it. So does everybody else."

Ding! The metal doors open and both females began walking to their apartment. Jisoo pondered on Jennie's statement, taking a mental note on how to maintain her reputation.

Eventually, they both made it at the foot of their doorsteps with Jennie already clutching the knob to her door. Jisoo placed her hand above hers consequently tempting Jennie to look up at her.

She withdrew her hand and opened her backpack to reveal the black folder, handing it over to Jennie who looked to be in a dreamy state. Jisoo thought— but didn't admit— that she could look at Jennie all day in this fazed state of hers. It was adorable and it tugged the right strings in Jisoo's heart.

She shook her head, reminding herself that their "relationship" is over. She took a step back. "It's to keep your poetry in."

Jennie softly beamed at her, but it wasn't happy, it was somewhat sad. But Jisoo didn't want to pry. "Thank you."

The brunette shook her head. "It's nothing. You're welcome. And also sorry about earlier."

There was silence between them, unnerving and disheartening because this would be the last time that they needed to be in contact with each other. After today, Jisoo was well off to be on her own and to fuel her reputation by herself.

Jennie broke the silence. "Jis, whatever happens with the popularity thing, you know...stay yourself. Don't change to please them."

Jisoo exhaled through her nostrils, smiling. She wasn't laughing but she found it funny that the same stoic Jennie she once knew was concerned about her.

"Me change? Tsk. Never."

With that, both girls resided in their homes, awaiting the pleasures of the next day. Change? Jisoo wouldn't change, would she?

-----AN-----

I didn't proofread this :( Plus sorry for late updates, I had a full time schedule at work.