Afterglow

Secret Butterflies

Later that day, Hoseok was driving Taehyung home, both sitting next to each other with blissful smiles on their faces. Taehyung looked out the window, his heart feeling like it was just floating around somewhere in the sky.

Before they had left, Taehyung had slipped back into his clothes from the day before, because they both knew it was too risky for him to wear Hoseok's clothes. The possibility of Namjoon recognizing them or questioning whose clothes they were was just too high.

Taehyung closed his eyes and remembered how good Hoseok's shirt had smelled and how good it felt. It may sound stupid and cliché, but wearing Hoseok's shirt had felt like he was his, even if just a little bit. And it felt good to experience that, even just for a moment or a few. For at least a few hours he had felt like he belonged right there, in Hoseok's shirt, in Hoseok's arms, in Hoseok's home.

Going back home now felt surreal, like he was bursting out of a dream. It was still a bit hard for him to believe that the hours they had spent together had been real. He could still feel his heart beating faster whenever one of the memories flashed through his mind. And when he remembered Hoseok's touches, his affection, his gaze, the way he made him feel, his smile grew the slightest bit wider. He couldn't help it.

He felt a spark race through his fingers, over his hand and up his arm, right to his heart, warming it tenderly when Hoseok reached over to place his hand over his, playing with his fingers. Taehyung bit his lip as his smile only grew wider. He looked down at their hands and slipped his fingers between Hoseok's, clinging to them gently.

Hoseok's let out a happy sigh as he stared ahead at the road, knowing they'd reach their destination soon. Namjoon was supposed to be back by now, so Taehyung could finally get back inside his house, but they decided it would be wiser for them to park the car a little further away and keep the story to themselves.

Hoseok felt a little reluctant about driving Taehyung back home. He wanted to be with him just a little more. He wanted to hold his hand for a little more, see his face for a little more, touch him for a little more, kiss him for a little more...have him for a little more.

The hours they had spent together filled Hoseok with pure happiness and he didn't want to miss it.

It felt weird to go back to being apart, pretending there's nothing going on, pretending nothing happened. Unable to shout out and show the world how happy they both were.

It felt wrong.

They were about to step back into reality. And neither of them wanted to.

After the big steps they had taken, Taehyung found it hard to hide his feelings and lock them away again, so nobody would see. He held Hoseok's hand a little tighter and looked down as the car came to a halt. Hoseok turned off the engine and they hushed for a while as their fingers meddled and caressed each other.

Taehyung took a deep breath and gathered the courage to turn and look at Hoseok. The older one was staring back at him already. Their smiles were replaced by something nostalgic, knowing that the moment of saying goodbye had arrived.

But neither of them wanted to. Not yet.

Hoseok looked around and then leaned over to rest their foreheads together. Taehyung let go of his hand to grip at Hoseok's shirt.

Hobi...” he mumbled and Hoseok nodded as if agreeing to something unspoken.

Kiss me.” Taehyung muttered and leaned closer in need. Hoseok didn't have to be told twice and brushed a strand of hair behind Taehyung's ear as he captured his lips. Taehyung sighed and leaned even closer, returning the kiss longingly and sliding his arm around Hoseok's neck. He was tired of hiding what he wished for, what he wanted, what he needed. He was way in over his head anyway, so what more harm could it do to just let go and be open with Hoseok.

Hoseok cradled his face and kissed him in a way that would hopefully make Taehyung understand how much he would miss him the moment he'd step out of the car and leave. Before they could lose themselves too much in the kiss, they parted for air, their foreheads leaning together.

Until next time...?” Hoseok whispered and Taehyung nodded and looked up into his eyes. They both broke into soft smiles and then Taehyung slowly pulled away, but it took him another moment to gather the willpower to open the car door and leave.

-

Namjoon's car was parked in it's usual spot as Taehyung walked up to their front door. He took another deep breath to calm himself and hoped that his face wouldn't look any kind of suspicious, whether it be too blissful or too gloomy.

He rang the doorbell and not long after the door was opened, revealing Namjoon who seemed to have arrived not too long ago.

There you are!” Namjoon said and broke into a relieved smile, pulling Taehyung into a hug. Though it was probably absurd, Taehyung felt a little anxious. He had no idea how or of who he smelled. Would he still smell like Hoseok? Would his scent give any hint to how he had spent the last few hours or would it just hint to a drunk night out?!

Taehyung hugged back hesitatingly.

I left my keys at home, so I stayed over at Jimin's until you'd be back.” he said and once again apologized to Jimin in his head for always using him as his alibi.

I was worried when I got home and you weren't there.” Namjoon said and held him a little tighter. Taehyung sighed and properly hugged him back then.

I'm sorry, Joon, I didn't think about that, I should've texted you.” he said and they soon pulled apart. Taehyung stepped inside and closed the door behind himself.

Are you hungry?” Namjoon asked as he headed towards the kitchen. Taehyung followed him.

Yes, a little, but I'd like to take a shower first.” Taehyung said and yawned a little. Namjoon shook his head with a grin.

Did you two at least have fun? Your outfit looks like you went out.” Namjoon commented and Taehyung tried to stay nonchalant.

Yes, we did.”

Why didn't you shower at Jimin's?” Namjoon asked, knowing that it usually wasn't an issue for the two young boys. He also wondered why Taehyung hadn't lend any clothes from Jimin if he stayed over. Namjoon knew that his friend was always eager to make his guests comfortable and loved dressing Taehyung. The younger male rubbed his neck and shrugged, looking somewhere else.

We came home quite late and fell right into bed, basically sleeping through till not long ago. When I woke up and saw that it was already that late, I thought you must be home by now and decided to leave.”

Namjoon nodded, but a part of him still found it a little suspicious.

You didn't fight or anything, did you?” Namjoon asked as he took ingredients out of the fridge. Taehyung's eyes widened.

No! Not at all, really, everything's fine. We were just really tired and didn't bother getting out of our clothes.” he answered and Namjoon didn't ask any further.

I'll go shower now.” Taehyung said and went upstairs to his room. He took out his phone and put it on the charger. Then he went to the bathroom and shed himself of his clothes, putting them in the laundry basket before he took a look in the mirror. He chuckled at the way his hair was absolutely messed up, but his face looked awake and...happy. Now that he was alone, he couldn't help the smile from returning to his face. Would this feeling pass? When? In an hour? In a few? In a day? In a week?

He didn't want to know.

Taehyung stepped into the shower and let out a pleased sigh when the warm water flowed all over his body and relaxed him even more. The way it smoothly engulfed his body and warmed him, reminded him of Hoseok's touch, of his arms around him.

He closed his eyes and remembered how he had felt when he realized that he had woken up in Hoseok's arms. He could get used to that, he thought. Then he let out a sigh, knowing that things still weren't so easy. But the thought that maybe they could just do that from time to time, meeting up secretly and waking up together, filled Taehyung with a hopeful anticipating feeling.

He knew they couldn't be the kind of couple to meet up every day and go on dates and stuff, but he was fine with that. At least right now. He was fine with whatever it was they had. To him, it was special, even though he feared that no one else would agree on that.

Because no one knew. No one understood just how Hoseok made him feel. He made him feel like no one ever had before and Taehyung was torn between wanting to dive deeper into that feeling and being careful for his heart's sake. No one could tell where this would lead, where and when and how it would end, but Taehyung didn't want to think about that. He wanted to enjoy the moment, as long as it lasted.

-

After he had showered, he put on comfortable clothes, mourning that they felt so different from how Hoseok's clothes had felt. When he had shaken the thought off, he went downstairs and ate with Namjoon. As they ate, Taehyung seemed a little absentminded and Namjoon couldn't help but notice. He watched his brother's face, noticing that it somehow seemed to have a certain new glow to it and he could see Taehyung's eyes smiling as he was lost in his thoughts.

What are you smiling at?” Namjoon asked with a fond grin. Taehyung broke out of his trance and looked at him with a startled expression.

M-Me? Nothing. The food's just great.” he tried to save himself.

Namjoon chuckled.

Taehyungie, in case you didn't know, I've been in love before and I know that look.” Namjoon said and Taehyung blushed, babbling in protest.

I'm not! I don't know what you're talking about.”

Oh please, Tae, I'm neither blind nor stupid.”

Taehyung looked down with red cheeks.

Is it Jimin or is it that mysterious person with the leather jacket you've been meeting? Or someone else entirely?” Namjoon asked, now with a serious face.

Taehyung whined. “Joon please...I can't-...I-”

But it's not Jimin though right?” Namjoon asked with a raised brow and Taehyung shook his head.

No, it's not him. I swear. He's just my best friend.” Taehyung said and Namjoon believed him.

I'm sorry...I'm just curious about who makes my little brother smile like that...” Namjoon said as he poked at his food. Taehyung bit his lip.

You look very happy you know...” Namjoon said and Taehyung looked up.

Not that you weren't happy before...but I see a different kind of happy now...in your eyes, in your smile...” Namjoon said and Taehyung reached over to hold Namjoon's hand. His older brother smiled at him.

I am happy...” Taehyung said with sincere eyes. “But please...for your own good...don't ask.” he said in all seriousness and Namjoon nodded.

Alright...I understand...your older brother doesn't have to know everything...” Namjoon said and they both chuckled.

But tell whoever it is, that I'll break his bones if he breaks your heart.” Namjoon said and pointed his fork.

Joon!” Taehyung exclaimed, but they both laughed.

If only Namjoon knew that no one had to tell Hoseok that. Hoseok knew him probably better than Taehyung did and knew how much he loved and cared for his little brother and how much he wanted to protect him. Hoseok knew just well that he was screwed if he ever broke Taehyung's heart. That's why he had held himself back for a long time and kept his distance with Taehyung, until he couldn't anymore...because deep down he had always known that it wouldn't be a fling or just fun that would easily pass. He had always known that if he allowed himself to fall for the boy, he would probably never recover.

If only he knew that Taehyung felt exactly the same.

-

Later that evening when Taehyung let himself fall into bed and was ready to pass out right then and there, he grabbed his phone one last time and sighed. Was it too early to text Hoseok? What for? What would he even say? Good night? Would he ruin it?

But he didn't have time to think about that any further because right in that moment a new message from Hoseok appeared on the screen. Taehyung nearly squealed and opened the message.

'Just wanted to say good night. Sweet dreams, Taehyungie.'

Taehyung's heart jumped a little as he typed his reply.

'You too Hobi...good night :)'

Just when he was about to put his phone down, it lit up with another message.

'I know it's only been a few hours and this probably sounds stupid, but...I wish you were here...'

Taehyung nearly cried when he read it, it was too much for his heart to handle.

'I wish so too...' he answered and put his phone down, closing his eyes and he could almost feel Hoseok lying next to him.