Making Contact

Love is bitter...or is it?
Please log in to read the full chapter

Monday arrived quicker than anyone would have liked it to. School cliques were made almost instantaneously; it was a little frightening how fast these things happened if the truth be told. Byul is the type of person who doesn’t feel the need to belong to one certain group, she gets along with just about everyone and the main individuals she hangs out with anyways are Wheein and Hyejin.  Morning classes had gone by rather uneventful, though that is how the first day of school always is…being lectured about rules and expectations, the same old tedious guide to education. When lunch time came around, Byul found herself sitting on a bench outside the cafeteria staring at her phone.

“You are aware that you have to contact someone in order to get a response right?”  A voice said coming from behind Byul.

“Geez Wheein!” Byul fumbled her phone, nearly dropping it onto the concrete beneath her. “Can we not sneak up on a person who is trying to think!?”

“Oh?” Wheein said sounding amused. “What are you thinking about exactly? How to confess your love to the girl you just met?” she laughed rather loudly.

“Confess? What are you going on about Jung Wheein?” Byul said furrowing her eye brows. “I told you it wasn’t like that!”

“Oh come on Byul, you had that totally star struck gaze going on when you were looking at her on Saturday.” Wheein snickered as she patted Byul on the back.

“It’s not like that…she just…” Byul looked at the ground and sighed. “…she looks so sad you know? The look in her eyes reminds me of myself before you and Hyejin took me in during high school. Look at this…” Byul pulled out her camera and showed Wheein the last picture she took from Saturday.

“You’re secretly taking pictures of her too?” Wheein gasped. “A little stalkerish…don’t you think?”

“Wheein, I’m a photography student, the fact that I carry around a camera is no surprise. Besides, the best pictures are the one’s taken in the moment, without knowing. It’s weird to explain, I mean…Ugh, that is beside the point here! The point is….that moment I spotted her on the bleachers, she was there…but at the same time she wasn’t. It’s hard to explain! But her eyes...there's just something about her eyes.”  Byul sighed again as she pushed the bangs out of her face.

Wheein sat there for a moment studying the look on her friends face. “Byul, if you worry that much, why don’t you just call her or send her a message? What could it hurt?” she said as she handed Byul her camera back.

“I don’t know…I don’t want to push her. I mean…she even told me that she didn’t want to get involved with anyone here.” She said with a defeated sigh.

“Hmm, that might be true. But then again, if she was truly against getting involved with anyone, she wouldn’t have given you her number now, would she have?” Wheein smiled and patted Byul on the shoulder before standing up. “Just give it a shot, if she is like you…then perhaps you can be that light in her life that you always claim Hyejin and I was in yours. Speaking of which…I should go and fetch her now, otherwise she’ll stay in that little box having her own little karaoke session the entire lunch!” Wheein waved bye to Byul and began walking towards the music department.

“Ugh…come on Moonbyul, just send a message, what would a hello hurt!?”

Byul scrolled through her phone, stopping at the contact that has been making her mind go haywire, Kim Yongsun.

Beep Beep

Yongsun sighed as she scribbled out the last few notes she had jotted down .She has been working on the same piece for the last two hours. Thankfully her phone went off, alerting her to the time and the fact  that she was growing rather hungry. She grabbed her phone that was laying on top of the piano and looked at her screen in confusion..

Unknown Number: Hey Yongsun, how are you doing?

She read the message over a few times before answering back.

Yongsun: Who is th

Please log in to read the full chapter