Byul's Past (Part 1)

Love is bitter...or is it?
Please log in to read the full chapter

(Flashback Chapter)

It was an early Monday morning and the smell of bacon and eggs accompanied with the sweet aroma of pancakes was filling the small but comfortable home of Moonbyul and her parents. It was a new start to a new school year and Byul was pretty excited. She was far from what others would classify as a school nerd, but she made decent grades and enjoyed going to school to be with all of her friends. Her parents worked a lot, but to their surprise their daughter never complained much and was a child with a happy-go-lucky attitude. Perhaps it was the fact that after moving around a lot due to her father's job, they were finally able to settle down in Busan where she would be able to finish the rest of her schooling.

"Moonbyul, honey it's time to wake up! You don't want to be late now do you?"

"Mom," Byul opened up and leaned against the bathroom door and stared at her mother rather amused as she knocked on her bedroom door. "I've been up for quite some time now," she chuckled quietly.

The woman who didn't look a day over 30 jumped after hearing her daughters voice from behind, "How many times do I have to tell you not to scare me like that!" she gasped as she put her hand over her heart.

Byul laughed as she walked closer and kissed her mother on the cheek, "Good morning mother!" she said with a cheeky smile, "let's go eat, I'm starving and your food smells amazing!" Her mother smiled widely and patted her on the , "Hurry and go eat, you don't want to be late on the first day of your sophomore year."

***

"Hey Minji! Wait up!"

The girl who was a few months younger than Byul paused as she turned around, "About time you show up Byul!" She smiled widely, showing off her perfect eye smile as she readjusted her bag that was hanging off of her shoulder.

"Yeah yeah yeah," Byul smirked as she threw her arm over Minji's shoulder. "Not everyone likes to show up at school two hours before it starts you know," she said playfully as she stole the can of just opened coffee from her friends hand and downed the rest of it.

"Yah!" Minji pouted as she watched the rest of her precious caffeine disappear down the blackhole which came in the form of her best friend.

Byul wiped the remnants of coffee from her lips as she gave her friend a cheeky smile and continued to walk forward. "So...usual hangout after school? It'll be my treat." 

"It better be your treat, after taking away the only reason I'm able to be so chipper in the morning!" Minji said, still wearing the same pout.

"Aw, and I thought you were always so happy in the mornings because I was here."

"You wish you big oaf! You know you come in second to coffee!" she said with a grin on her face.

"Ah!" Byul suddenly bent over as she clutched onto her stomach.

"Byul! What's wrong!?" Minji put her hand on Byul's shoulder as her eyes were full of concern.

"It's just that...it's....that coffee was so delicious, I can see why it's number one in your eyes!" she stuck her tongue out before laughter took over.

"YAH!" Minji kicked her in the shin before continuing to walk towards her class, "...idiot!"

Byul continued to laugh as she ran and caught up with Minji, throwing her arm back over her shoulder as they both walked to class.

-A few months later-

"Byul? Hello...earth to Byul..." Minji stared at her friend's lifeless expression as she played with the food on her tray. She leaned forward and pinched her friend's cheeks, trying to snap her out of it.

"Hm? What did you say Minji?" she spoke sounding as though she hasn't slept in a week.

"What's wrong Byul-ah? Normally you would have stolen my choco-pie by now....did something happen?"

"It's just...my parents missed our family dinner...again. I know I shoul

Please log in to read the full chapter