Byul's Past (Part 2)

Love is bitter...or is it?
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Mi...Minji?" Byul took a step forward, her hands now resting on the island countertop as Minji's eyes were focused on her coffee pouring out. "Minji, are you alright?" Her eyebrows furrowed as she nervously began to rub her fingers together.

"Hm? What!?" Minji finally snapped out of her trance and looked up at Byul, "Sorry, I just didnt....I didn't expect to hear that from you..."

"It doesn't change who I am Minji, I'm still the same Byul that you know...." she looked at her friend with pleading eyes.

"How come you've never told me this before? For as long as we've been friends...how come you've never said anything?"  Byul could see the hurt in her friend's eyes.

"I'm sorry Minji...I just never thought it mattered....Like I told you before, I never planned on dating anyone anyways..."

"Don't be ridiculous Byul! Nobody wants to be alone for their whole life! Do your parents know?" Minji asked as she took a seat on the bar stool.

"No of course not, I've never told anyone...until now. I don't even want to think about what would happen if others found out!" she spoke a bit rushed and loudly.

Minji stayed silent for a few moments before looking back up at Byul, "Is there anything else that you've been hiding from me?" she said almost at a whisper.

Byul quickly shook her head, "I'm sorry for hiding this from you Minji...I swear there's nothing else."

From that day on, the topic was never brought back up. Byul thought that Minji and her were fine now that her big secret was out in the open...that things would go back to normal, but that didn't happen. As time went by, Minji started avoiding her on more and more occasions. She'd come up with different excuses each time of course, but Byul couldn't get rid of the sick feeling in her stomach as time went by.

Byul: Usual after classes today?

Minji: Sorry, my mom needs to do some shopping for her! Next time!

*

Byul: Want to come over this weekend?

Minji: Can't, Kun-woo is taking me out to dinner with his parents. You understand, right?

*

Byul: Minji-ah, I don't understand the math homework, can you help me after school?

Minji: Sorry Byul, I have student council work to do :(, Maybe Seul can help you!

The last straw was Minji's blatant ignorance of her during lunch one Thursday afternoon. Byul was seated at their normal table, waiting eagerly for her friend to join her. Byul was happily waving her down after she had claimed to be busy the whole week, only for Minji to act as though she wasn't visible. Minji walked right past her and sat down with Kun-Woo and his group of friends. Her heart shattered as she looked back to see Minji give her a quick glance before facing forward again, latching onto her boyfriends arm.

Byul stared in confusion. With just that one single glance, Byul got up and threw her tray away, without having touched a single portion of her food. She slowly made her way to her locker and waited for the bell to ring.

Shortly before the warning bell rang, Byul spotted Minji walking towards the lockers. She was walking with her head down, her focus being soley on her phone.

"M

Please log in to read the full chapter