Meeting Again (또 만나...)

Begin Again

Beep Beep

 

The sound of alarm goes off giving the wake-up call to the person who is sleeping on the bed beside it.

The person jolts a bit before slowly opens his eyes. He yamns while rubbing his eyes slightly to wake it up. After giving his body a min to rest on the bed, he successfully pulls it up into sitting position against the bed headboard.  

It’s 5:30AM.

Still early but he doesn’t want to be late for the new school.

Yes. He’s starting the new school today because his mom needs to move here for a better job. The thought of the new school makes his stomach flip a little with excitement and nervousness.

 

I hope I can make a lot of friends.

 

He chuckles to himself, considering the fact that he was the popular guy at his old school, he doubts making friends here is hard for him.

In fact, being friend with people is never a matter to Nam Woohyun.

He’s described as the bright guy who can make anyone smiles with his silly cuteness or jokes and his handsome face never fails to make girls’ heart flutter or even guy’s. Not to mention the body shape from many hours of working out. It is hard for anyone to ignore Nam Woohyun’s existence.

Taking a deep breath; he determines to brace himself for what is coming today.He stretches his body left and right before grabbing the towel from his unpacked luggage, passing the new school uniform on the closet’s front, to the bathroom door.

 

------

 

Stepping into the new school compound, he is awed by how big it is compared to his old high school. There are many students too and the noticeable gazes from the students toward him especially girls.

“Who is he? Is he new?”

“Damn, he looks hot!”

“Aw, I think I already find my new crush”

Woohyun overhears a group of girls’ whispers when he walks pass them. Instead of playing a cold guy, Woohyun turns to give the girls a bright smile, a smile that anyone would fall for, along with a wink.

The girls squeals a little with his act and trying to hide their contentment.

He laughs a bit at his silly act; though he knows it is greasy, he enjoys this anyway.

After what seems like an age of walking, he finally arrives at the main school building campus. He narrows his eyes before hush a sigh as there are many buildings; which makes the finding for one room is not easy.

He needs to go to the principal office first thing today according to what was written on the e-mail sent to him weeks ago. He slides the backpack off his shoulder and pulls the school map out.

 

Why this has to be so confusing?

 

He lets out another sigh while moving the eye around, trying to find something called “Principal office” or anything of that kind.

 

This is annoying.

Maybe I should just ask someone.

 

“Need help?” A person comes up to him with a big smile on his face. 

“Oh yes, I was just looking for the principal office. The school map is just confusing” Woohyun replied, still trying to figure the confused map out. 

The person lets out the laugh. “I know right. I have been here like forever and I still cannot find anything by using that map”

Woohyun laughs along not only at the sentence but also at the sound of the other’s laughing. It's just amusing.

 “You are looking for the school principal office?”  The other asked but it sounds like a statement than a question.

“Yes, first day today.” Woohyun grined as he replied. 

“Oh, lovely! This school is really awesome. My name is Jang Dongwoo. Nice to Meet you!” The person extended his hand while excitely introducing himself.

How cheerful!

“I’m Nam Woohyun” Woohyun accepted the hand and introduced himself.

“Nice name! Okay, Let’s go to the principal office now” Dongwoo exclaimed while making a dope then laughing at his own actions. Woohyun cannot help but laugh before following the person. 

 

This friend surely can make anyone’s day.

 

 

“Weirdly, I feel like I used to see you somewhere” Dongwoo blurted out while they are walking toward the school principal’s office.

“Really? Probably I look similar to anyone here because I had not been to Seoul since I was young” Woohyun answered. The last time he remembered coming to Seoul was when he was barely speaking. So for sure, someone must have looked resemble him.

“Ahh I see. I guess so ” Dongwoo said and hummed a rhythm agreeing to the statement.

“This is it! Just knock the door before you enter.” Dongwoo exclaimed while showing Woohyun the room with the sign of “Principal Office” in front of it.

 “I’ll be going to my class now. See ya around”

“Thank you, Dongwoo-shii”

“Just Dongwoo.” He replied with another big smile.

Woohyun returns in a wide beam too. He feels the excitement for this school already, just by meeting this guy.

After Dongwoo leaves, he knocks the door with no hesitation.

 

Knock Knock

 

“Come in” a faint reply comes after few seconds signalling that he can enter.

As Woohyun pushes the door open, he sees a guy in probably his forty with glasses hanging down his nose, sitting before the desk with many piles of paper in front of him. 

Woohyun clears his throat in nervous before bowing to the man who just now looks up at him.

 “Annyeonghasimnida” He greeted in his most polite voice because who knows; his old school principal is a with the student’s attitude thingy toward him.

“Oh, Are you the new student?” he asked, taking the glasses off and moves to grab some documents on the left side of the table.

“Yes, sir. My name is Nam Woohyun” Woohyun answered, slightly hoping things will end quickly here because this kind of formality suffocates him much. 

“Ahh. Found your name. You moved here from Jeonju right?” the principal questioned after looking at the file in his hand. Woohyun assumes it’s probably all his profile and hid old school documents for him.

“Yes, Sir. My mo-

Woohyun never gets to finish his sentence as he is stopped by the sound of door’s knocking behind him.

“Come in” the principal responses to the knock, allowing the person to open the door. 

Woohyun does not turn his head to see who it is but the shadow of the person that is stepping in is somewhat familiar to him.

The figure comes in and bows to the school principal.

 “You call for me, sir? How may I help you?” The person said in a polite tone. 

The tone that left Woohyun's eyes open in shock.

 

It can’t be…

 

His head quickly whirls to the direction of the voice.

He hopes he is wrong.

But It's too clear. He does not think that he would ever forget that voice. 

Even though he wanted to… too many times…

The moment he gets to clearly see the person beside him, he feels like his breath is taken away.

 

Tell me this is a dream.

 

That is Kim Sunggyu standing there. He wants to believe otherwise but there is nothing change about him except he looks a bit taller and his hair is a bit caramel and not dark like before. From the side of his face, Woohyun still recognizes the small eye, the slight pointy nose and the firm pinkish lips. There is no way he is wrong about the person.

He feels a small throb in his heart.

 

Why fate brings him to meet the person not when he wants to see him but when he hates to see him?

 

He really wants to just ask the person now to ensure that he is not Kim Sunggyu. That this is not the person who dumped him out of a goddammit reason “he never loves him in the first place”. That’s the lamest excuse he ever heard but it still hurt him badly anyway.

Lair.

Woohyun keeps a fixed gaze at Sunggyu for a while, still not believing the fact that he’s meeting this person again. Anger and hatred slowly creeps into him. He still wants to hit this person so much for hurting him; for taking his first love as a plaything.

But like Nam Woohyun has ever loved someone else besides Kim Sunggyu.

 

So much for a ing love life, Nam Woohyun.

 

Probably the stare from his side attracts his attention, Sunggyu turns to look at the person. The moment he recognizes who it is, his lips part a bit in surprise. 

Am I dreaming?! The sentence uttered in his mind.

He does not know what comes into his mind but he slaps his own face to make sure this is the reality. Sunggyu feels the stink in his face where the hand just came into contact instead of waking up. 

 

It hurts. So it’s real.

 

Here is Nam Woohyun, the person he has been dreaming about for almost 2 years, standing in front of him.

“You guys know each other before?” the voice from the other end of the room asked. 

Oh, right. The school Principal. Sunggyu almost forgets where they are. 

“Yes, Sir” Sunggyu replied, still trying to recover himself from seeing Nam Woohyun again. 

“No, Sir”. Woohyun abruptly responded after a short moment while maintaining an unweaving face.

“I did not know this person” Woohyun continued, with the hint of anger in his tone.

Sunggyu bit his lower lip but before he can say anything, the school principal cut right in. 

 “I will let you guys settle this but Woohyun, this is Sunggyu, our school student council president. He will walk you around and introduce you about our school system, rules & regulations and cultures plus everything else you want to know.”

He turns to Sunggyu after he finished the sentence. “I did ask Sungyeol instead of you but he is not available and I saw that you have free schedule, that’s why I asked for you. I hope you can help our new student with this. It's tough transfering in the middle of the year”

“It’s my pleasure, sir. I will make sure he will fit right in our school” Sunggyu replied with a grin, happy with the opportunity.

Woohyun cannot help but roll his eyes a little before shuts it, not wanting to look rude in front of the principal.

He did not want to do anything with this guy ever again. The pain from the past just made him feel enough. He spent like almost 2 freaking years to forget this person and to not have him in the head all the time. The anger he feels is strong that seeing this person again annoys the hell out of him.

 “That’s all, here your schedule and other documents about the School, Woohyun” the principal said and hands him the bundle of paper.

Woohyun smiles and accepts the paper without a word. It is all overwhelming to him right now. A moment he thought that this school will be an exciting venture after meeting Dongwoo then another moment he has met Kim Sunggyu for whatever the reason it is. He just wants to get out of all of this. The past just hits him hard that the throb pain in his chest is getting stronger.

 “I hope you will enjoy the time here, Woohyun” The school principal said as the sign for them to leave. The elder man too can feel the tension and does not want to deal with the high school drama.

Woohyun bows and mumbles a thank you toward the principal then turns almost immediately to the exit. He fastens his footstep once he gets out of the room.

 

Nope. I am so not spending time with Kim Sunggyu.

 

“Woohyun ah”

Woohyun heard the voice calling after him but he does not bother, knowing clearly whose voice it is.

He heard footsteps fastening behind him so he beings to run but before he can get any further, his right wrist gets caught.

 “Yah… Don’t you hear me?” Sunggyu said between gasps. 

 

He is still weak; just like before. Woohyun thought and it annoyed him for still remembering stuff about the other.

 

Damn it. Why the do I still remember stuff about him?

 

He curses his brain for this. Not wanting to see the person anymore, he looks away to the different direction than the other’s face. 

“Let go of my wrist” He hissed while trying to wiggle away from Sunggyu’s grasp to no avail.

“No, we need to talk first,” Sunggyu said, tighten the grasp still trying to properly catch his breath. 

Woohyun scoffs, looking more annoy than before.

“We don’t. There’s nothing to talk about”

Sunggyu sighs, knowing clearly why the guy in front of him acts like this but still he wants them to talk even if it takes his begging. 

“Come on. Woohyun ah.”

Woohyun rolls his eyes at Sunggyu’s affection call toward him. They are not that close anymore so there is more than inappropriate for the elder to still call him that.

“At least, I still have to show you around the school” Sunggyu continued almost pleading but Woohyun does not hear any of that.

 “I can go around by myself, I don’t need your help neither want to see you. Now, let me go” He replied looking at the other guy; surprised to see the sense of sadness in Sunggyu’s eyes.

“You don’t want to see me this much?” Sunggyu murmurs to which Woohyun barely catches the words.

 

Why would he be so sad about this when he is the one who leaves me first?

 

It reminds him of how he’s been waiting to see this guy so much but he was nowhere to be found. The guy left him with hurt and loneliness. The emptiness never goes away and keeps haunting Woohyun every now and then.

“Yes! I don’t want to see you that much. I hope we won’t meet again” Woohyun announced getting his hand out of Sunggyy’s grasp before walking pass Sunggyu, whom by now looking distressed by the sentence. But all he can do is to let go of the other’s hand and stare at Woohyun’s back as he’s walking away further and further.

 

I wish you knew how I feel, Woohyun ah.

 

---

 

With dejected feeling, Sunggyu walks back to the student council room.

His class was cancelled this morning and he was suddenly called by School principal to his room.

He did not expect anything much but something very unexpected happened.

Seeing the person whom he wishes to see all these years is beyond his expectation.

 

Nam Woohyun

His ex-boyfriend

 

Sunggyu sighs at the thought. Maybe that is why Woohyun hates to talk to him. They broke up in the most dramatic way because Sunggyu was young and dumb. He believed in his mother’s words like all those obedient kids would.

They had to move to the City and Sunggyu was not ready to leave his first love that he was so stressed about it. His mother told him that there was nothing he can do except breaking up with Woohyun. He was naïve enough to believe that it was the best choice for both of them as they can forget each other for good.

He cut off all the contact from Woohyun after he moves here which he regrets deeply after because he still thinks of Woohyun and cannot seem to move on even though he went out for date few times. He did want to visit Jeonju many times but he does not have the courage to do so.

He really does deserve a cold treatment from Woohyun for being such an .

Sunggyu run fingers through his hair in frustration before sitting down on the chair.

Slowly, he pulls his wallet and opens it to the pictures of two boys, having a big grin on their face while holding each other’s shoulder.

It’s a cute photo. A photo he treasures so much and has been carrying around all these years. It’s the only photo of him and Woohyun back when they were together. He smiles thinking of the good old time but drops the smile when he thinks of the situation now.

 

Now, what should I do?

 

He hits his head on the glassy desk, feeling hopeless. To Sunggyu, it does not take much to admit that his heart is still yearning for the person in the photo or the person he met just now but solving the problem is never his skill especially when it comes to the problem involve a certain someone named Woohyun.

He remembered waking up late for their Sunday date once and the result was a sulky Woohyun for almost half a month because he did not know what to do to make it up. They were only backed on a good term because Woohyun reluctantly forgave Sunggyu himself.

 

I’m so doomed.