09. District 1

Seventeen Drabble Colection

09. Jisoo centric

Song: Ängie - We Run

 

   District 1 has been cursed to permanent darkness and Jisoo had learned that the sky was a hue of black so dark it was like a void of emptiness throughout his life.

   The town was lit with a minimum number of dim lampposts for the visitors from other districts but it was no doubt still a discomfort for the villagers as their eyes burned when they came in contact with light.

   And Jisoo wondered how it felt to be out in the sun whenever he saw a visitor with their sun-kissed skin in the town; their tanned skin a contrast with his and the villagers' glowing pale skin.

   It was common for the villagers to wonder about the sun: the thought of sunbathing or playing under the sun seemed like a fascinating thing to do. Jisoo and his friends even dreamed about going to the other districts but none of them dared to actually leave the town. It was like an unspoken fact that everyone knew but resented it.

   The reason that kept them confined to the town.

   The reason that made the stubborn teenagers who left the district never came back.

   The reason why Jisoo was frozen in his place, eyes never left the sky as the noise of children crying around him became muffled from the jumbled thoughts in his mind.

   "The sun could kill us,"

   And Jisoo could see the first little ray of light pouring in from the crack in the black sky.