07. Haunted

Seventeen Drabble Colection

07. Mingyu x Wonwoo

Song: Halsey - Haunting

Inspired by: Wonwoo + Sunsetz Moodboard by wenjunwho

 

   It's been five years but Wonwoo still cannot drive.

   Every time he sits on the driver, his hand instantly feels numb and his body stiffen; his heart beats in an alarming rate. He can only hear the sound of tyres screeching, airbags popping out and the windscreen shattering into pieces. His eyes are blinded by the bright light coming from the lorry heading towards the car before his vision turns black.

   Seungcheol had found him passed out in his car too many times by now.

   But Wonwoo just cannot obey Seungcheol's warning to not try to drive until he can get rid of his trauma. Especially when he sees a figure sitting on the passenger seat of the car on the occasional days he decided to go to the convenience store a few blocks away.

   He doesn't need to look properly to know that it is Mingyu.

    Mingyu didn't survive the accident, he knows it. But he is everywhere; on the bed beside him; in the kitchen in front of the stove, cooking dinner for the both of them; sitting on the sofa with his head on Wonwoo's shoulder as he runs a finger along the older's black locks.

   And Wonwoo just cannot get over the guilt that he is the one who leads him to his death when he asks the younger to accompany him to a book exhibition held at another district.

   When he saw Mingyu standing at the edge of the hospital bed on the night he woke up from his coma; trail of dry blood decorating the side of his face as he gazed longingly at him, Wonwoo had asked him the first thing that across his mind.

   "Please never leave my side."

   It's been five years but Wonwoo still cannot drive.

   But when he sees Mingyu sitting on the passenger seat, he is willing to give another try. And when he closes the door, he feels calmness radiating from deep inside him.

   He knows that this is the moment he have been waiting for.

   He inserts the key into the ignition and starts the engine before pulling into the driveway. He doesn't even know where he is going but he just keeps on driving while softly humming to hit songs blasting from the local radio station. If he listens carefully, he knows that he will hear Mingyu singing along to the songs, voice clear and soothing.

   As the sun almost reach the horizon, Wonwoo feels a dull ache spreading throughout his chest, slowly numbing his body. He turns the steering to his left before closing his eyes as a smile blooms on his face.

   The last things he hears are tyres screeching, airbags popping out and windscreen shattering into pieces. And if he listens intently, he knows that he could hear Mingyu's shallow breathings stops beside him.