Four

I Am Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Ooh, let’s do karaoke first!”

 

Go Won jumped up in excitement and pointed at the building. So many times she had sang her heart out in a soundproof room way before she even became a trainee. This would certainly bring back memories and the black-haired girl couldn’t wait.

 

Even if Hyejoo sang for a living and wasn't feeling it, she didn’t have the heart to tell the girl no. How many nights of training she had strained from practicing songs over and over again? All those times instructors and coaches snapped at her for her singing and delivery not being perfect. The last thing the taller girl wanted to do was sing right now, but with Go Won looking like a beaming sun she couldn’t refuse.

 

The two rented a room for an hour, Go Won not wasting time in taking out her wallet and paying for them both. Hyejoo was supposed to be treating her as she was the one that took her out, but the black-haired girl was so excited that she got her card out in a flash without letting her react. She pulled Hyejoo along and Go Won didn’t even sit as she went straight for the song list.

 

“I’ll sing first and then you can choose a song. Or if your throat hurts from practicing you don’t have to sing.” Go Won’s tone was soft and understanding, a big shift from her previously bright voice.

 

Hyejoo was taken aback once again. Even though they were doing something Go Won wanted to do, the girl was still thinking about the younger girl and making sure she was okay with the decisions. Hyejoo found herself more intrigued with the girl as she let her have her fun. 

 

The secret artist decided to start with something easy. A song that had been extremely popular last summer: Pink Velvet’s Pink Flavor. Go Won wasn’t worried about singing it perfectly since she wasn’t here to impress anyone. She was here to have fun, so singing off tune was completely fine as long as she was having a good time.

 

She jumped around and bounced to the beat without a care in the world. She even gave Hyejoo some fan-service as she sent her a few playful winks. She was so off-tune and if her coaches heard her they would certainly kill her for throwing their vocal lessons out the window. Hyejoo was definitely amused and subconsciously cracked a smile when Go Won acted so playful. Even though she behaved quiet and shy at school, there were no traces of her introverted personality now. 

 

The highlight of the song was coming, the high note, and Go Won basically screeched on purpose. It was so bad, she wasn’t even trying. She simply screamed her heart out which sent Hyejoo into a roll of laughter. The song came to an end and the rookie idol still couldn’t recollect herself. Hyejoo couldn’t remember the last time she had this much fun even before debut. To make matters worse, the crazy machine actually gave Go Won 100 points as a total score. Unbelievable.

 

“Get on my level,” Go Won cutely told her and made rocker signs.

 

Hyejoo shook her head, wiping some tears from her eyes. “I don’t think I ever will.”

 

Go Won smiled. She liked this Hyejoo, the one who laughed and smiled often, not Olivia Hye who was mean and cold to her. The two students then took some time to calm down. There was too much adrenaline flowing through Go Won's body, she needed to slow herself. Hyejoo likewise had gotten a side cramp from laughing so much. She needed to catch her breath.

 

“Do you want to sing next?” She offered Hyejoo the microphone.

 

The young idol shook her head and rejected the offer with her hand up. She would much rather see Go Won being crazy again. It was much more entertaining than if she were to cover a song. Besides, her choice of songs were not lively and bright and it would surely damper the mood.

 

Go Won had been expecting Hyejoo to reject the mic. It was obvious she didn't want to sing so she wasn't going to push her. Instead, the older girl took this as her chance. She looked through the song book again, already with a specific song in mind and just needing to find the right number. This would be the ultimate test to find out Olivia’s true intentions. Go Won pushed the numbers confidently and once the familiar beat began, the small girl began to wiggle in place.

 

Not to toot her own horn, but she loved this song. It was a good song, and not because it was one of her own. On the other hand, once the instrumental of the song echoed off the speakers, Hyejoo’s smile turned into a frown. It had been so drastic Go Won wanted to laugh. Well, at least she wasn’t faking her dislike, the girl with the mic thought.

 

“Hello! Finally introducing... Loonaaaa.” Go Won sang right in her face.

 

She stood right in front of Hyejoo this time, knowing full well that she was getting on her nerves. She was having too much fun torturing the girl with her own song. She promised this would be the first and last time.

 

“Are you girls ready? Okay! Let’s go!” Go Won automatically did the dance as she sang, of course not perfectly as to not give her away.

 

Hyejoo wanted to stab her ears with pencils. Why, out of the millions of songs to choose from, did Go Won have to choose a Loona song? This song in particular was the most annoying of them all. It was so repetitive and it bothered her how it never seemed to be an end to the horrible tune. 

 

After an eternity for Hyejoo, that in reality was a little over three minutes, the song came to an end. The rookie idol finally sighed in relief and she was able to relax her tense muscles. She didn't even realize when she had tightened her fists.

 

“I love this song!” Go Won cheered.

 

She plopped down on the couch next to the navy-haired idol happily and waited. It was only a matter of time until the rookie idol cracked. She had to. There was no way she would keep quiet. Go Won began a mental countdown.

 

Three...

 

Two...

 

One...

 

“I hate this song.”

 

Whoop. There it was.

 

Go Won faked surprise. “What? Who doesn’t like Loona?”

 

“Me.” Hyejoo huffed and crossed her arms.

 

Wow. She really didn't care about keeping her dislike a secret. The older artist definitely wanted to get to the bottom of everything. It's not like she had done anything! What was the reason Hyejoo didn't like her? She could understand the music not being her taste, but she evidently didn't like her as a whole.

 

“Are you sure you should be telling me this? Isn’t it dangerous if you show your dislike so obviously?” Go Won tried to act concerned for the girl, but she knew this would only push her to speak more.

 

Hyejoo leaned back in her seat and crossed her legs this time. She looked like a typical mean girl from a cliché chick flick and Go Won couldn't help but think Hyejoo would make a really good actress. Director's should cast her, she was a natural. 

 

“Who cares? I’ve met her before. She’s not all people claim her to be.”

 

Oh. Care to elaborate, my dear understudy?

 

“What do you mean? Does she have a really bad attitude?” Go Won approached the topic carefully.

 

“Well...” Hyejoo hesitated, “no...”

 

“Does she act like a diva behind the scenes?” She tried again.

 

Hyejoo’s voice was slowly losing its initial edge. “That’s also a no...”

 

“Did she say something rude to you?" Go Won gasped for dramatic effect. "Was she mean to you? Did she do anything?"

 

Okay, now this wasn't the direction Hyejoo wanted to take things. She sat back up in alarm placing both her feet firmly on the ground. “No, not at all.” She shook her hands in front of Go Won for emphasis.

 

If anything, the navy-haired girl looked like a puppy that had just gotten in trouble. Did she really hate her like she claimed she did? Because Go Won is pretty sure she hasn’t done anything to her or in the music industry in general to earn her any genuine hate. Just what was her reasoning?

 

“Then what is the problem?” Go Won went for the kill. Go hard or go home.

 

Hyejoo now looked conflicted. This would the first time she told anyone the reason behind her actions. If she didn’t like Loona, it wasn’t because she had done anything personal to her. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter