Twenty-Three

I Am Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Thank you all so much!"

 

Loona's third surprise performance was a huge success and went without a hitch. Well, except for the hundreds of cameras trying to get in her face and people daring to run after her. Thankfully the platform heels she wore were comfortable enough that she could run in them. And also with Jungeun and Sooyoung's help, she was able to slip out of the stage like nothing.

 

Last month she chose to appear at the annual Seoul Chuseok festival being held on the 10th coincidentally. She decided to perform her debut song Everyday I Love You. She performed Love4eva at the basketball game last month so she wanted to perform a different song to keep the mystery and anticipation going. 

 

Sure enough, people had gone INSANE at her random appearance. No one but a few staff members– that helped her set her microphone and track for the night– knew. Everyone was speechless and couldn't believe superstar Loona was performing on a stage rookies usually sung and danced on. Someone of her caliber should've been the closing act, but she performed in the middle of the show catching everyone completely off guard.

 

Multiple articles followed all talking about the same thing, what was Loona up to now? Was this a publicity stunt to cover the ongoing trafficking scandals multiple big names of the music industry were involved in? Or did this have something to do with her comeback? There were both positive and negative reactions but overall the tone was in her favor.

 

[+5005,-2992] I don't care if this is a publicity stunt, I'm so freaking happy to see Loona performing! ^^

 

[+4982,-1333] Heol... the Chuseok Festival lineup is always so boring. If I would've known Loona was performing I would've gone ㅠㅠ

 

[+3535,-899] Okay but she performed a different song than last time. What does this mean? Theories anyone? ㅇㅇ

 

They were now in October and she performed at this year's Dream Concert, which to her luck they moved to October instead of the usual summertime. They were some theories that since she performed on August 10th and September 10th, that she would also perform on October 10th, aka the day the concert would be held at Seoul Olympic Stadium.

 

Even though her appearance was not confirmed, many people were sure she would be there, and they weren't wrong. She was beyond surprised when she heard the fans singing along to the whole song she chose for the night, which was One&Only. Even the rap, which Go Won wasn't expecting at all for them to know word by word. Their singing was so loud you couldn't even hear her singing into the mic. 

 

[+6982,-3434] That's it. Everyone go home. Loona killed it and with only one song ㅋㅋㅋ

 

[+5020,-1720] When my friend and I saw Dream Concert this year was the 10th we snatched tickets so fast hoping Loona would perform. Good thing we were right! 

 

[+3673,-992] I screamed so much for her performance that I lost my voice ㅠㅠ I was screaming like a crazy woman ㅋㅋㅋ

 

It was to the point her performance had gone viral on Naver and Twitter in just a few hours. Numerous articles with titles like "This is the Power of the Nation's Little Sister" and "Mattel's Barbie got nothing on Korea's very own Barbie doll." Whoever wrote that second article was for sure asking for a lawsuit but it was still hilarious.

 

Jinsol did her job and wrote every company statement released to answer the press with their insistence on wanting an explanation for Loona's actions. After her performance Eden Entertainment dropped their very first teaser for their new girl group, of course, no one yet having a clue that's what it would be.

 

All that was dropped was a picture of a cake cut into five slices with the caption "Who's Next Girl? Project Coming Soon."

 

That was all that was needed for the internet to lose it. "Loona" and "Who's Next Girl?" were the top searches for the whole night.

 

Go Won decided to add a little bit more fuel to the fire by uploading a selfie on her Instagram after a long time. She was posing cutely by sticking her tongue out in a joking manner and the words "It's not me" under. 

 

Sooyoung had texted her so fast to take it down or she would get in so much trouble. She was in the process of texting back an "I don't care" when her phone screen blanked as it got an incoming call. The CEO herself was calling her less than two minutes after uploading her selfie. She barely got home!

 

Her face paled and she knew she was so dead.

 

She had to answer. No one rejected a call from Haseul and lived to tell the tale.

 

Clearing she made sure to put on her best good girl voice.

 

"Hello?"

 

"TAKE IT DOWN."

 

She flinched as her right eardrum was now ringing. Haseul's voice was no joke when she was mad.

 

"Aw come on! If I take it down it'll look more suspicious!"

 

"NOW Go Won. I can't BELIEVE you. Now we have to release the next teaser tomorrow instead of next week because of you!"

 

Go Won didn't know what the big deal was. "Then just release everyday teasers. That'd be so much better."

 

"GO WON!"

 

"Fine! I'll only change the caption though." She said before hanging up. "For ing ..." she mumbled as she went to change the words under her selfie.

 

She took a moment to think of the perfect caption to change it into when it came to her. She typed with an evil glint in her eye and felt proud of herself when she clicked post. Feeling witty with the new message she leaned back with a -eating grin. As expected, less than a minute later Haseul was already ringing her up again.

 

She had changed the caption to: "Please look forward to tomorrow's teaser!"

 

Once again, Go Won answered the phone void of any color on her face. She got the scolding of her life, but sure enough, the company decided to do daily teasers. 

 

"You're welcome," she said to no one in particular feeling triumphant.

 

—☆★°•°•°★☆—☆★°•°•°★☆—

 

It had taken a lot of convincing on Go Won's side for Hyejoo to audition for Eden. Their relationship was a little awkward at the moment. Hyejoo was living with Jiwoo in the small one-room she rented and even thought Go Won had offered to get them a better place to live in they both declined.

 

She got it, it was hard and very burdensome to accept so much for nothing in return. But what could she do? Hyejoo hadn't told Chaewon anything. That night when she came over after being released from the hospital, in the end she couldn't do it. She didn't tell Chaewon what was going on and, at the same time, Chaewon used that excuse to keep the truth about her identity for longer. 

 

It felt very weird. The two were sure of their feelings for one another. Chaewon indeed loved Hyejoo with everything, and likewise, she could tell Hyejoo loved her back just as much. But their whole relationship somehow felt fake. It was built on lies and although they went on dates and spent all their time together joking and laughing, it felt hollow.

 

Go Won didn't dare to do something about it, however. She rather things stay the way they were, even though it was wrong. She was a coward, but at least this way Hyejoo remained by her side. The two seemed to work, even though they couldn't fully open up to each other. If things were okay now, then who was Go Won to go and ruin them? She just let things be. Whatever happens, happens.

 

That was a part of her life she wasn't worried about for now. The Loona side of her was the one currently very busy with lots of work and the Solaris Project. Haseul hated to ask her for this but she needed two more judges to evaluate the Who's Next Girl auditions and Loona had to be one of them. She was Eden's pride– let alone their only artist– so of course, she had to be in the panel. The other judge ended up being their company's dance choreographer.

 

Loona had given Hyejoo the address to audition, the time and location. She knew it was bad, but as and incentive, she also said that if she passed and made it in, there was a high chance they would contact Jiwoo and offer her a manager job. Hyejoo still didn't know what she was auditioning for (Go Won didn't exactly tell her it was for the new girl group) but if Jiwoo could get a job because of it, she would do it.

 

The day would go as follows:

 

 A maximum of fifty participants (they needed to have a limit) all be taught a choreography on the spot. They would then be divided into five groups (each with ten girls) so they could be evaluated. They would be taught a song to dance in an hour and then they had another hour for free practice before they would perform in front of the judges.

 

Twenty-five girls will be chosen total based on the quality of their performance with the short amount of time they had. The key was that they weren't only being scored for the final result, but also the process of how they got there. Yes, their final performance was important but their work ethic among each other was key as well.

 

How hard they worked and whether they had the right attitude to work in a team to become a girl group member was what mattered the most. Singing and dancing could be taught. Good attitude and personality couldn't. There was something the CEO was looking for in the five candidates they needed for the new girl group, and she knew what it was when she saw it. That's how Go Won was chosen by her as well.

 

That would be the first round. The second round consisted of a new song to perform, this time both dancing and singing. More would be explained in the days to come but for now, they had to get through round one. There were no public announcements for the Who's Next Girl project, just that there would be auditions held at Eden Entertainment. People didn't think the two were correlated and that's what kept the mystery.

 

Go Won was extremely excited. Not only for Hyejoo, but also because she would get to see the company trainees, her juniors, performing as well. She wanted them to do well, but she wasn't going to be biased. In the end, she would always remain neutral and end up picking those that truly stood out from the rest.

 

The audition would start soon and Haseul had begged Go Won to not cause a scene. All she had to do was sit and observe, just to judge and act professiona

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter