Eighteen

I Am Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The hate comments against her had decreased significantly. She knew it had been thanks to Chaewon who took the liberty of helping her with the legal procedures against malicious rumors online, but Loona had played a major part into it as well whether she liked it or not. Ever since her last date with that disgusting piece of trash Taehwan and Loona had showed up to her aid. It was true Hyejoo was hard-headed and stubborn and she would never admit it to the blonde's face, but deep down she was thankful.

 

The famous idol made her life so difficult yet she was always someone who would come to help her in a heart beat. Hyejoo still had a weird feeling in her gut whenever she was in her presence and she was always one to be extra careful every time that feeling presented itself. There was just something about Loona she couldn't figure out but at the same time she's too afraid to ask.

 

It's weird really. Hyejoo doesn't know how to explain it. The feeling of familiarity and at the same time the older girl feeling like a total stranger. Jiwoo was just as hesitant at first but now all that apprehension was gone. Could it be that Hyejoo was overthinking everything too much? Was Loona really just that good of a person with no ulterior motives behind her actions?

 

There was no way. Until she figured out what the uneasy feeling in her chest meant, Hyejoo would always be on her toes around her. Even now, as they were eating a seemingly innocent meal and Loona had told her of her plans, the rookie had her doubts. The black-haired girl chewed on her steak slowly, her eyes fixated on the girl across from her trying to read her mind.

 

Go Won was trying to eat her own food in peace but it was getting hard with the continuous stare the younger girl was giving her. The lasers coming from her eyes were becoming harder and harder to ignore.

 

The blonde set down her cutlery abruptly, making Hyejoo shift her eyes down automatically following the sound only for them to come back to Go Won's face.

 

"Can you stop trying to break into my thoughts and just eat?" Go Won asked feeling uncomfortable.

 

Hyejoo didn't reply verbally but did as requested. She opted for looking down at her food and concentrating on eating. She wasn't about to waste a free meal.

 

Go Won let out a thankful breath of air before picking up her knife and fork once more.

 

"I just don't get it."

 

The older girl set down her utensils again with an annoyed sigh. "What?"

 

"Why you're doing all of this–"

 

"You don't have to get it. And I told you already, don't ask." Go Won went back to trying to eat.

 

Trying to act cold and indifferent was proving to be harder than she thought, especially since this behavior was so unlike her. However, it was as if the cold treatment actually helped her get through Hyejoo in a way so even if she was struggling she would keep it up, as long as it takes.

 

Hyejoo chewed the inside of her cheek in frustration. She wasn't used to being talked to this way, more coming from Loona, but there was nothing she could do. It wasn't like Hyejoo could force any information out of her. With flaring nostrils she went back to cutting into her steak, Go Won noticing that she was putting a little more pressure than a normal person would.

 

She let out a small smile, hidden from view so Hyejoo wouldn't see.

 

—☆★°•°•°★☆—☆★°•°•°★☆—

 

"How have you been?" Hyejoo asked.

 

"Better now that you've called."

 

Hyejoo couldn't help the silly grin plastered on her lips just from hearing Chaewon's voice.

 

The younger girl could clearly hear the embarrassed giggle from the other side of the phone right after she said that confession. She hadn't seen her girlfriend in about a week and it was killing her inside. How badly Hyejoo wanted to spend every single second with her. They didn't even need to do anything in particular. Just being each other's company was enough. Hyejoo was busy with practice though (because she still couldn't be careless and slack off) and Chaewon said she was busy with work.

 

Hyejoo still didn't know exactly what it was that she did but she just knew it required a lot of paperwork. Hyejoo had seen a few files scattered around her apartment every time she was over, the girl in glasses always quickly scooping them away to give the rookie idol her full attention. Again Hyejoo didn't want to pry but she figured it must be something with family perhaps? Maybe Chaewon was the daughter of a business conglomerate.

 

Chaewon being a chaebol's daughter. Somehow the idea seemed insane but Chaewon always managed to surprise her in the most unexpected ways. This idea didn't seem so farfetched once she put all the evidence into perspective. Her having lots of money. Her family never being around. Her having to work and being so secretive about it. Maybe her family is so rich and influential that she has to keep it a secret for whatever reason.

 

Hyejoo never voiced out any questions though because whenever she talked with Chaewon none of that mattered. Time flew quickly and minutes turned into hours simply talking about anything and everything. It was the older girl who asked to hang up first saying she had to go. Hyejoo had to go as well but she had been putting it off for as long as she could. It was inevitable now since the older girl had bid her farewell.

 

With a pout Hyejoo looked down at her phone regretfully. How much longer would it be until she could see Chaewon again? Just then a sudden text notification popped up on the screen and the contents of the message had her smiling like a fool once again.

 

don't spend all your time pouting at the phone. let's work hard! i love you ♥ 

 

Chaewon always knew her so well. That last sentence was the thing that had her heart fluttering like crazy the most though. With just a few words Chaewon had the power to make Hyejoo forget all of her problems. She clutched onto her microphone tighter and nodded at the words of encouragement. Even though things were catching fire all around her she would still do her best.

 

—☆★°•°•°★☆—☆★°•°•°★☆—

 

"You don't have to come with me," Loona told her again for the... honestly Hyejoo had forgotten how many times the blonde had told her the same sentence. It was getting old and the rookie didn't want to hear it anymore.

 

"You said you didn't want to keep acting without telling me. Me coming along is the best way to resolve that issue," Hyejoo made a face.

 

Go Won knew she had a point but still. She didn't want to get Hyejoo more involved than she already was. Didn't she want to protect her image at least? Did she really understand the magnitude of what they were about to do? One wrong move and everything could come crumbling down on them.

 

The blonde knew it couldn't be helped. Hyejoo was one tough cookie. Nonetheless, having Hyejoo with her today would help her immensely as she would be able to explain her side of the story personally. They were on their way to meet someone that could help them with their plan, courtesy of Haseul's contact list. All they had to do was convince her. This was something so risky that Go Won wasn't even sure if they would be able to pull it off. 

 

Her purpose was to make sure Hyejoo would be safe. Sadly when she thought of the bigger picture, Hyejoo wasn't the only one going through something like this. Many other companies took advantage of their idols and trainees and many times no one did anything about it. This would be a small step towards hopefully making a big change.

 

Go Won suddenly stopped, Hyejoo almost crashing against her back. She turned and gave Hyejoo a wide-eyed look. "Actually I think it would be better if you don't come. I'm serious this time. If things don't go right you can be exposed and something–"

 

"Go Won, oh my God, relax. It's okay," Hyejoo stopped her rambling. "I'm not a little girl anymore. I know what I'm getting into."

 

"We literally don't know what we're getting into."

 

Hyejoo shook her head. Where had the cool and collected Loona gone to? Why was she so nervous now? Unknown to the rookie, Chaewon's personality was accidentally slipping and clashing with her superstar persona. She wasn't thinking of Hyejoo as just an idol rookie. She was thinking of her as her girlfriend, the girl she would absolutely do anything to protect, and if anything went wrong and she accidentally made things worse she wouldn't know what to do.

 

The older girl tried to catch her breath and have her heart stop hammering against her chest. She couldn't show amateur behavior when they were about to have an important meeting. Go Won had to think positive.

 

Think of something happy! Puppies! Ice cream! Hyejoo! Hyejoo? Wait...

 

Go Won realized something in that moment. She didn't quite known if she imagined the whole thing because she was such a nervous wreck or it really happened so she had to confirm. The blonde looked up at the younger girl, Hyejoo wondering what nonsense Loona would say this time.

 

"You called me Go Won," the blonde winked. It wasn't a question. Yes she was wondering if she heard right but she had to have heard it to be pondering on it in the first place.

 

The rookie couldn't believe that's what was on her mind. "Let's go, before someone sees us," Hyejoo took the lead and went inside the coffee shop.

 

And just maybe she walked ahead just so they wouldn't have to go down that topic right now. Without her consciously realizing Hyejoo was getting more comfortable around Loona and it was slightly bothering her. Her name slipped out of her lips so naturally, what the heck? She didn't even realize she did it until the artist pointed it out just now. Hyejoo closed her eyes in self-shame. She had to remain cold. Go Won took this as a victory for her, she no longer feeling jittery and on edge.

 

With the weight of being a superstar came the responsibility of trying to be hidden from the public eye as much as possible. That's why they were coming to this small coffee shop hidden from the big city and even hidden if you tried to look it up online. The owners were already of older age so they didn't care about being popular or being list

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter