Old Friendships

On Different Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jihyo stared at the bags forming under Jeongyeon’s eyes as the writer was hunched over her desk, fingers typing harshly against the worn down keys of her laptop. Jeongyeon huffed and groaned, hitting the backspace multiple times only to type out the same words she had deleted.

Of course, the angel beside her was concerned.

Even if she didn’t try to reveal herself to the writer and to talk to her, she felt a small attachment forming for the human being she was meant to protect. If she were to be honest, she wasn’t exactly sure as to why she was so passionate about keeping Jeongyeon safe.

Maybe this is her way of making up for the time she failed Death. Maybe this is her way of apologizing to Tzuyu, the once innocent girl who turned into Death under Jihyo’s watch.

Jihyo remembered how that day went. She remembered how she watched Tzuyu’s mother give birth to her, how her existence brought smiles upon so many faces. She remembered the first time she realized that Tzuyu could see her – the tears of joy that fell from her face knowing that the little girl appreciates the fact that Jihyo works hard to make sure no evil comes their way.

She was there whenever the other kids would make fun of Tzuyu’s complexion; she was the one who comforted the little girl in her times of need.

For a second, Jihyo feels like she transported herself back in time.

There Tzuyu was, running around in circles while trying to chase a small pup in the park. Her parents are away as usual, leaving the little girl with no one to play with but herself. Tzuyu doesn’t mind, though – she knows Jihyo won’t ever leave her.

“Look at that weirdo… talking to herself again.” One of the boys at the park says as he snickers, eliciting a few muffled laughs from the pack of children behind him. Jihyo felt a pang of guilt when she knows that it was because Tzuyu was the only human who could see her, so she does her best to shut up and cover the child’s ears.

Tzuyu gives her a smile. “It’s okay, Jihyo. I don’t mind.” She continues to make Jihyo feel warm, and it brings about the biggest smile to ever grace Jihyo’s face.

Then Jihyo thinks back to the dreaded war that caused the nation millions of deaths. She bit back the sobs that were threatening to spill while she tried to remember, her fists clenching when she felt what it felt like to be so useless.

Death was everywhere at that time, his eyes glittering with tears of sadness left unshed. Jihyo felt so bad for the poor guy, he was only doing his job.

She didn’t know how to explain to him how Tzuyu could see him when the little girl cried. She didn’t know how to make Tzuyu feel better. She didn’t know what she could do.

Wha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter