Even Demons Feel Bad

On Different Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nayeon headed to the café she first saw Jeongyeon right after they encountered Mina. She bit back a laugh as she remembered how she left Chaeyoung to deal with the situation alone; the betrayed look that got stuck on the angel’s face served as such a hilarious thing for Nayeon to laugh about later.

Now, as the demon walked amongst the many faces of humans, she felt her heart grow heavy. She flicked her fingers a bit, creating a tiny vision of Jeongyeon. Even though her legs lagged a bit, she bit back a smile when she realized that Jeongyeon really is in the café. Knowing this, every step she took got her eager to see the other girl.

Contrary to popular belief, demons do feel bad whenever they do something wrong. Well, some of them at least. A great example is now, in which Nayeon doesn’t know if it was right to keep Momo in the dark about her growing infatuation for the human. Momo is one of her closest friends, since they’ve known each other since they were mere spirits – along with Sana, the three were practically inseparable.

Although they could have been angels at that time, they were too blinded by their own prejudice. In their minds, the longed to be a demon because they wanted to prove themselves to the demons that pushed and shoved them literally and figuratively. They would never forget the many spirits lost because of those evil beings.

It was Nayeon’s idea in the first place, and she still feels guilt after so many centuries of living as a demon with Momo and Sana. She convinced them to fall into the darkness with her, knowing well that the other two hated the fact that the demons hated them so much.

“This might be the only way, guys! We’ve suffered this much, we can be so much better than them.” Nayeon remembered how those words tasted in – sweet, just like the revenge she plans.

“If we want to be better, why would we want to end up like the bad guys?” Momo asked her then, sceptical about the whole idea Nayeon was proposing. She looked at Sana who stood beside her then, only to see a blank expression on the other girl’s face. “I-If we want to be better than the demons, shouldn’t we try to be good instead? Shouldn’t we try to get the angels to see our worth?”

“That’s what’s wrong, Momo… The angels know we’re suffering, but they don’t do anything about it. What kind of ‘good’ is that?” Nayeon’s voice was filled with bitterness then. Bitter because their silent cries for help were always left unanswered by the people who swore that they’d do good.

Sana, who was silent the whole time, suddenly spoke. “What about Jihyo?” She asked quietly, eyes refusing to look up at Nayeon as she stared blankly at the ground below. “You know she wants you to be an angel with her. You promised her that you’d stay with her.”

In the end, Nayeon never answered that question from Sana. Instead, Momo and Sana decided that Nayeon needed people to look after her. That’s the only reason why they’d even consider being demons in the first place.

Now, as Nayeon walks into the café, she can’t help but feel worse. I really am sorry, Jihyo.

She remembered the first time she saw Jeongyeon and how she encountered Jihyo again after centuries. She remembered how upset Jihyo still was when they talked.

But Nayeon had to put up a front. She had to do it for her poor pride, shrinking every moment she remembers that being a demon was a mistake and that everything w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter