Epilogue

On Different Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was too peaceful for Jeongyeon's taste. What can she do?

She remembered the Holy War just like it was yesterday. She remembered seeing Nayeon die right in front of her.

I should be happy now... Jeongyeon thinks. Her head grew weary, fingers idly twiddling around as she started creating more creatures. More humans, and most definitely more spirits.

How long has it been? She catches herself wondering sometimes. She glanced carefully at the small calendar-like projection made by holy flames. A quarter through an eon?

She remembered everything. She kinds wished she didn't.

Every time Jeongyeon closed her eyes, the images of how Satan plunged Nayeon and himself into Death would burn into her mind. Every time silence would fall upon her lair, all she could hear were the cries and yells in the middle of battle, the sound of the Night's Fall shooting Satan's figure, and the sound of Death's scythe cutting souls down.

She didn't like it, but she made a deal.

"Nayeon!" Jeongyeon cried out, but soon she was blinded by a flash of light.

It took her a moment to regain a sense of what was happening around her. The surroundings was unfamiliar to her. She looked carefully and noticed that it was just a vast, empty space. Projections that seemed to pop out of the flames were the only things around her.

When she looked closely, she realized that the projections showed their current situation. It was the war.

Soon after, she heard footsteps approach her. She whipped her head around to see a man with droopy eyes.

"Hello..." He greets, exhaustion evident in his voice. "You must be pretty confused."

"I am." Jeongyeon confirmed. She straightened her back and walked around aimlessly. "What's this all about?"

"I'm about to explain everything to you." He muttered. His voice sounded so sad--Jeongyeon wondered if he was okay.

"I see." Jeongyeon's heart was pounding against her chest. An awkward silence dawned on the atmosphere of the room.

"I'll start by saying that I'm the god humans preach to." He spoke slowly. "But I do not like being called as such. I fear the name itself holds too much responsibility."

Jeongyeon merely nodded at his words. Nothing came as a shock to her anymore.

"I guess you can just call me Creator. It doesn't sound as intimidating as god, now does it?" He chuckled slightly, trying to lift the mood up. When he saw that Jeongyeon still had the same unreadable expression on her face, he paused. "First off, I apologize for causing a mess."

"What do you mean?" It seems as though something new came up every second Jeongyeon existed. Her eyes glanced at the projections of the Holy War once more, only to find that it looked frozen.

"To tell you the truth, I've lost count of how many times I've restarted creating this universe. It always seems to end up this way."

"What?"

The two of them froze. Jeongyeon out of shock because of the sudden realization that the world she lives in is a simulation, and Creator because of how brash he sounded.

"I--yes. I'm guilty of recreating a perfect universe... I'm not as flawless as the humans think I am." He smiled sadly at his own words. "That's why I was thinking of retiring."

"Huh?" Jeongyeon really couldn't hold back her confusion anymore. The more words Creator said, the stranger it sounded in her head. "Retire from being the creator? Does that mean there wouldn't be a universe after this?"

"I'm afraid not," He smiled. "Unless I find someone to replace me, that is."

"Is that why you called me here?" Jeongyeon found the entire ordeal absurd. First, she was a writer on Earth, now she's turning into the creator of the universe?

"Yeah. That's really the only reason why you're here." He sat on the floor beneath them, and with a flick of his fingers, the floor seemed transparent. Jeongyeon stumbled backwards in shock.

"I've lived for eons on eons, rebuilding and destroying the lives I have created... I feel horrible. But every time I tried to make a perfect universe, it always ends in a war of some sort between all of the creatures I have created."

"So you want to pass on this kind of responsibility to me?" Jeongyeon asked incredulously. "I'm sorry, but what makes you think a human would be good for the job?"

"I'm not sure either, but at this point, I'm just too exhausted to think right." He looked at her with pleading eyes. "Please... You can do whatever you want when the powers are yours..."

"Whatever... I want?" Jeongyeon's eyebrows furried. She looked at the frozed projection of Nayeon's death one last time. Would it really be worth it?

"Time is running out." He murmured. He didn't want to pressure Jeongyeon into a decision, but it seems as though he's hesitating.

"I'll do it." Jeongyeon says, finally. "I'll do it only if you make sure I die."

"Excuse me?" Creator was taken aback.

"I don't want to live forever meddling with time and space and maybe even dimensions. I don't know exactly what you do and it terrifies me to know that one could have this much power. Please, I don't want to do this forever." Jeongyeon blurted out, eyes fixed directly into Creator's confused stare. Not if I know that I'd be restarting Nayeon's life over and over again.

"What do you intend to do when your time is up? I am not willing to take this job back." Creator furrowed his eyebrows. He paced around the area, thinking and breathing heavily about the topic at hand.

"We end this. For good." Jeongyeon's voice was stern. It was clear that she made her mind up.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter