The Photographer and The Amateur

On Different Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m getting my first field mission today?” Chaeyoung’s eyes were filled with wonder. They gleamed when she looked up towards the archangel before her, who was trying so hard to bite back a smile at how giddy Chaeyoung looked.

“Yes, you are.” She starts, letting out a small laugh. They were in the middle of one of the many gardens found in heaven, talking about a mission that’s going to be important for Chaeyoung. “You’re gonna be protecting a little girl.” The archangel stood tall before Chaeyoung, a slight twinkle in her eyes that showed Chaeyoung how fun this would be for the angel.

“A kid?” Chaeyoung bounces up and down at the thought. The archangel only nods, creating an image for Chaeyoung to see.

At first, the archangel only created a bit of light – and then there it was. The little girl was wearing a flowery dress. Her hair was braided and she wore the biggest smile Chaeyoung has ever seen. She held a basket with flower petals in one hand and she held onto a woman’s arm on the other.

“Her parents are getting married today,” the archangel explains, taking in the slow nod Chaeyoung gave her. “Her name’s Hana. You don’t have to do much, but make sure that she doesn’t feel lonely…”

“Lonely?” Chaeyoung asks, taking a step closer towards the image that the archangel procured. The other girl merely nodded, successfully stopping Chaeyoung from asking any more questions.

“I’ll be attending to other angels, so I won’t be able to watch you much…” The archangel averted her eyes, feeling a bit guilty at the look Chaeyoung was giving her. “And since I won’t be able to watch over you, you really have to make sure nothing bad happens today. Okay?” The archangel looked at Chaeyoung in a pleading way, knowing about how things could tend to go wrong whenever the girl was around.

Chaeyoung nods her head and hums in agreement, clumsily waving her hands around in an attempt to open a portal to earth. The archangel watched her in amusement, looking at the wobbly and unstable looking portal that Chaeyoung managed to procure. She was beginning to regret pleading to the authorities about Chaeyoung’s mission.

“Uh… Th-That’s not supposed to happen…” Chaeyoung shakily laughs. It was clear that she was getting nervous about the fact that she was going to earth for her first mission.

Chaeyoung was always one of the favourites of the archangels. Ever since the starry-eyed girl turned into an angel a few decades ago, they couldn’t help but spoil her. They feared the day she would have to walk into earth as an angel, doing her missions because they didn’t want such an innocent girl witness something possibly traumatizing.

They didn’t want her to lose her will to stay as an angel – it already happened to someone they all loved before.

So the archangel only shook her head and made the portal for Chaeyoung, warning the younger one that she wouldn’t be able to do that for Chaeyoung once she reaches earth. Chaeyoung nodded vigorously, eager to meet the little girl she was supposed to protect.

Chaeyoung jumped in, letting her eyes shut tight as she anticipated the planet’s land beneath her feet. The portal made her feel queasy. It felt like she was riding a car with a really bad driver – maybe it’s because this was the first time she’s using one of these. She watched billions of colours flash before her eyes. She reached her arms out to stable herself and before she knew it, her feet touched land.

Once she arrived, she took in the warm feeling of the sun against her skin. There were a lot of people who walked everywhere, going places Chaeyoung didn’t really know of. Some of them managed to pass through Chaeyoung, who was standing in the middle of the sidewalk with a confused look on her face.

She managed to shake her head, though. I have to look for little Hana.

She walked around aimlessly, managing to create a blurry image of the little girl in order to match her surroundings to spot her. Chaeyoung looked around, before finding a lonesome girl sitting on the swings in a small pa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter