챕터9

Letters From The Black Hole
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♦ A/N: Please always take note of the date, it's really important and also to avoid any confusion of the timeline. Happy reading! ^^ ♦

 

→ April 5, 2018 - THURSDAY

 

"Let's go save him."

The moment Renjun uttered that, a huge lump from Jaemin's chest suddenly convulses. He has never heard a thing said for the first time, that made such magnificient sense, it's as if he's been waiting to hear it all his life. Seeing the letter on Renjun's hand, he can't help but break down in front of the latter, embracing him as tight as he can.

Renjun takes this opportunity to comfort Jaemin and seal in the gaps between them with his embrace. He has never seen Jaemin cry like this before. When they were kids, Jaemin would be the least likely to cry among the five of them - the most likely being Donghyuck. He has always been strong but the heaviness of his current situation is too much for him to bear on his own and Renjun understands that. This isn't just tears of sadness. There's a huge speck of burden in every droplet of tears that Jaemin produces. And with his embrace, Renjun hopes that Jaemin knows he is not alone. Not now, not ever.

"There, there. It's tough huh?" Renjun said as he caresses Jaemin by his back as he continues to cry. 

It took about another minute or so until Jaemin finally stopped crying. All throughout that time, he got his hands wrapped around Renjun's shoulders, even burying his face to his chest, trying to hide his desperate tears. He calms down for a while, breathing in and out, and when he finally realize he's clinging into Renjun way too close, he immediately removes his arms that was dangling on the latter's broad shoulders. 

"I'm sorry." Jaemin apologizes, referring to the smudge of tears that accumulated on Renjun's shirt.

The latter clearly wasn't bothered at all, he would've let Jaemin cry on his shoulders all the time, whenever he wants to and so he just smiles at Jaemin. "That's alright. In the meantime, let's find a place to sit." The redhead then moves to a boulder bench nestled on the corner, pulling Jaemin alongside him. When they finally able to sit and Jaemin has fully recovered himself from weeping, Renjun goes on talking. 

"This is the letter that I got." Renjun said as he handed the said figure to Jaemin. 

Jaemin grabs it and from up close he notice that the envelope is the same as his and also just like his own, Renjun's name is written across the middle. So after all this time, it wasn't just him who was receieving letters from the future.

"Did you receive yours on the day of the opening ceremony?" Jaemin asked, trying to test at how similar their situation are regarding the letters.

"Yes..." Renjun replied. "But only after we went home. I didn't believe it at first because it just popped out of nowhere." 

"I can say the same!" Jaemin exclaimed agreeing with him. No one in their right mind would've believe in an instant that a message from the future came for them. "So, when do you usually receive your letters?"

"What  do you mean?" Renjun asked confusedly. "Like I told you, I only received this one letter on the day of the opening ceremony." 

At his response, Jaemin was baffled. "Really? I receive mine every time something's about to happen...well, at least that's what I think." 

"You mean, you're still receiving more letters irregularly?" Renjun asked surprisingly. 

"Yeah. I'm still down to my fourth letter, which...I haven't read yet. Anyways, you mean to tell me that you only received one envelope and only on the first day of school. None after that?" Jaemin asked, trying to make things clear.

"Yes!" Renjun yelped with a nod. "The envelope contains about six letters and somehow it has everything I needed to know." Jaemin was surprise upon hearing Renjun's statement. Then, why didn't future Jaemin just send it to him in one go? It would've been much better since he wasn't yet attach to Jeno. But then again, he knows himself. Even if he finds out about Jeno's death on their very first day, he would let himself get attach and do everything to save him. Typical Na Jaemin. So as it turns out, the arrival of the letters is the only thing they don't have in comparison as Renjun has already receive all of his letters.

"So why haven't you read the fourth letter?" Renjun suddenly asked.

As soon as Renjun questioned it, Jaemin displayed a rather gloomy expression. He even turn his face downward, ashamed of himself for being weak. For his weakness doesn't benefit Jeno at all.

"Hey, stop that, okay?" Renjun said, holding out his hand once more to Jaemin's shoulder. "You have me now. We will definitely save him." 

At the sound of Renjun's reassurance, it enlightened somehow a tiny piece in Jaemin. In return, Jaemin smiles at the redhead, thankful that he has Renjun to help him. 

"Can I read your letter?" Jaemin asked.

"Of course."

At the redhead's approval, Jaemin unsealed the envelope and inside were three folded letters, all tuck in nicely. He grabs the first one, opens it, and the first thing he notice was Renjun's sloppy handwriting. It made him smile at the fact on how much he knew the redhead. 

 

Mr. Huang Renjun

How have you been my 18 year old self? 

Believe it or not, but I am writing this letter from the future

Actually, I have a very important favor to ask of you

I want you to erase the regret I am carrying 

This is not just for me, but so that you don't follow the same path that lead me to it

 

Jaemin took note of the underlined word "very important". Reading between the lines, he knows that future Jaemin and Renjun are referring to the same thing. Their regrets. So, after ten years, both of their future selves were devastated on Jeno's death and would like to somehow give Jeno a chance to live. The content of future Renjun's letter is similar to his - it's filled with guilt and pain. But Renjun's 'mission' is more concerned on making Jeno join soccer. 

"I've been trying to get Jeno join soccer permanently but he keeps on saying no, saying excuses like he can't wake up early for morning practice. But, I feel like there's more to that." Renjun said. 

"That's what I've been wanting to know, too." Jaemin responded with much sentiment. Well,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter