챕터7

Letters From The Black Hole
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♦ A/N: Please always take note of the date, it's really important and also to avoid any confusion of the timeline. Happy reading! ^^ ♦ 

 

→ April 21, 2028

 

  As the couple exits the People's Forest, hand in hand, their friends are already waiting for them by the minivan.

"Yah! What took you guys so long?" An impatient Mark shouted as they got near them.

"That's right! Did you guys do it in there?" Donghyuck added.

"Shut your mouth Hyuck! That's not even funny!" Renjun retorted angrily. Despite the mini quarrel, Jaemin still manages to look happy at just how the same they all are.

"Damn it. Can we just go already?" Jisung said irritatingly, clearly getting tired of his friends' yapping.

"Yah, Jisung." Renjun called. "What's with the minivan? Are you about to start a family?"

"Shut up. I borrowed it from my brother, okay? Now, let's be off." And the youngest enters the driver seat and started the engine.

One by one, they all entered the minivan with Mark sitting on the passenger seat next to Jisung while Renjun, Jaemin, and Donghyuck positioned themselves at the back. When everyone is properly seated, Jisung went forward and they're off to their planned destination.

The premises of the People’s Forest are a lot crowded today given the fact that today marks the start of the week-long Cherry Blossom Festival of Jinhae. The town is teeming with tourists from different regions and countries - most of which are wearing traditional Korean clothing. They are various food and game stands that caught everyone's attention, musical instruments playing loudly, and children running around everywhere.

Everyone inside the van missed this scenery. They all left Jinhae for college and the Cherry Blossom Festival is one of the many things that they unknowingly left behind.

As he stared at the people enjoying themselves, Jaemin can't help but recall his last Cherry Blossom Festival. It was with Jeno and he remembers just how cute Jeno looks wearing a hanbok that he borrowed from his late grandfather. Yup, the memory still excites him very much.

"Wow, it's really been a while huh?" Jisung from the driver seat said.

"Yeah. It's like were the foreigners here." Mark added.

"God, I miss Jinhae! I miss the Cherry Blossom Festival!" Donghyuck cried out.

And they loathe inside the thing that they have missed for the last ten years. Seoul was cool, okay that’s an understatement,  it’s freaking amazing. But, having spent half a decade of their lives here in Jinhae, the grandeur things that Seoul offers is incomparable to their hometown. The atmosphere is different. The people are different. The festivities are much livelier. Jinhae is still a lot better for them.

It took about twenty minutes until they finally departed from the vicinity of the People's Forest. As Jisung drives smoothly through the road, Jaemin noticed just how much change this inconsequential town has been through. For instance, they finally cemented the road. It was all rocks and dried sand back when they were still in high school and there’re more buildings now, condominiums, apartment complexes, even a convenience store too. Jinhae doesn't seem like a provincial town anymore.

"So, do you guys think it's still there?" Mark in the front asked.

"Oh, I hope so. They didn't add more buildings in Gyeonghwa right?" Donghyuck replied with a worried expression.

"Actually, they did." Jaemin answered. "Kun told me. Let's just hope they didn't touch where we buried it."

After ten years, the five of them meet up again to visit their high school alma mater, Gyeonghwa High. They decided that it's finally the right time to dig up the time capsule that they buried outside the school premises before their graduation. Inside it are letters that they wrote to themselves, about what they wanted to do in the future. And Jeno was still there, too.

When they finally reach the school's premises, Jisung made a stop on the south entrance and the five of them exited the minivan. Upon exiting, the new look of Gyeonghwa High towers before them. The group of friends were in awe of the drastic change their former school has gone through. They upgraded everything - from newly painted buildings to the landscaping of the school grounds. Everything was different.

"Wow. Who knew our school can get this big?" Renjun said completely startled at the sight before them.

"Hey, look!" Donghyuck beckoned. "It seems like there's a whole building for a gymnasium now." And in unison the five of them look to their right and they can hear the shoes screeching coming from the players practicing inside the gym building.

The group of friends is in awe with their old school's transformation. But before they got stuck that way, Renjun intervened, "Yah, yah. Enough is enough. The school is new and I appreciate it. But, let's not forget why we are here. Nana, do you still remember the location of the time capsule?"

Back then, Jaemin was assigned to memorize the burial place of their time capsule as he's the most reliable one to do the job.

"If I recall it correctly, it's the eighth tree, left from the South wing." Jaemin said as he crammed his head of the information from ten years ago.

Renjun smiled at him then hold his hand. Together the couple led the group to the time capsule. Before they get far, Jisung then quickly fetch the shovel on the trunk and rejoined the group.

They walk slowly towards it, counting the trees and at the same time indulging in the view of the Gyeonghwa High they once knew. They passed by a couple of students who are ranting out loud the strain the school's been giving them. And almost instantaneously, the group of friends laugh, which they knew they shouldn't be but they can't help it. It's hard to imagine that they once wore those students' uniforms and once shared the problems they students were currently facing.

And in that moment, everyone was in unison in wanting to go back. Back to when they're still in high school. Back to when they were still complete. Back to when Jeno was still here.

The memory of Jeno still haunts them today - of how untimely the sweet boy's death was.

"Okay, this is the eighth one." Renjun said as they halted at the eighth sycamore tree that he mentally counted a while back.

Jisung goes in front and started digging through the soil with the shovel.  The remaining four who isn't digging stared at Jisung as he slowly unearth their time capsule. One by one he piled the soil that he digs up on the side and every one of them was chanting out prayers, hoping that it's still there.

Clank. They all made an animated gasp when Jisung suddenly hit a solid material. Using his hands this time, Jisung dusts away the sand atop the hard material and before them props up a McDonald designed lunchbox that once belong to Donghyuck – the material that they used as their time capsule. By this time, Renjun help the youngest and the two retrieved the protruding lunch box from the ground.

"I can't believe it! It's still here!" Donghyuck exclaimed happily. And everyone was as happy as him too.

The lunch box was so worn out that the once shiny metallic box is now rusting, clearly an indication that it managed to survive the passage of time. Renjun did the honors of opening it and as he did so everyone is beaming at the old lunchbox, eager to know its contents. And as expected by everyone, the letters all concealed in an envelope are inside and Renjun handed them out accordingly. "Here's your letter, Mark Lee."

"Thanks." Mark responded gleefully.

"This one's for you, Nana." Renjun said as he hands out the letter to his boyfriend then continued with the others.

As Jaemin grasps his letter, he stares at it for a moment and somehow he couldn't seem to remember what he wrote to himself. He did know its location but its contents are missing from his memory. Even the exterior design of the envelope isn’t familiar to him. With much anticipation, he slowly crinkles his letter open and seeing his familiar handwriting made him smile.

 

To Mr. Na Jaemin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter